wine Wine experiment

Started this today

1/2 gallon test batch....Just gunna use it for cooking and marinating

500 grams of Korean rice syrup
2 heaping TBS of yuja tea mix. Its like a sugar, honey and yuzu marmalade
20 grams of candied ginger
Almost a 1/2 TSP FermaidK nutrients

EC-1118 starter VERY ACTIVE after a couple hours while the rest cooled.

Rice syrup is made by using the same enzymes that make rice wine....amylase. They convert the starch to sugars for the yeast. I just skipped the whole rice part. :D Ive made quite a bit of rice wine using the Chinese yeast balls and steamed rice. Ive used koji and Angels Rice leaven too. Even used nuruk and red yeast rice before....The RYR and yeast balls does make a really good red rice wine btw. It ends up tasting more like a fruit wine actually.

Going straight to the syrup just side stepped all that for an experiment. Its bubbling away like mad atm. The ginger and yuzu flavors should end up pretty faint.

This was later on yesterday. Its really going to town today.
VsPFjgw.jpg

I racked this off today into another 2qt Mason. I could not believe it isnt bone dry yet. Added some Fermaidk, and a quick aeration. Seemed to kick it back into gear.

I did taste a tbs of it. Not bad for what it was. I was just expecting it to be bone dry since i used EC1118. I really wanted to use K1V-1116 since its better in low nutrient ferments.

I skimmed out all the pieces of ginger and yuzu. Its not actually as dark as the pic. Almost golden now. The citrus notes of the yuzu came through more than expected too.

Back