• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Toasting dried peppers

I apologize if this has been covered before, but I love how roasting dried peppers to just the right extent will turn some of the heat into a nice nutty flavor. It seems there's a narrow window of "done-ness" where this happens - go a little too far and it begins to taste scorched.

I have a jar of De Arbol which were dry when I bought them. I stemmed and seeded them, and carefully toasted them in the oven. This time I got it just right and when I ground them to powder the aroma was wonderful. A little bit of that mixed into some mayo makes a nice sandwich sauce.

I want to try it again but I have to admit that I already have plenty to work with now.

I might try this with a 80% aji panca and 20% Aleppo pepper powder blend today. Ive been tossing around the idea of lightly toasting them first before grind them up. How hot and how long did you do yours?

IIRC the heat was around 250F and the time was, when they smelled right. Then out to cool off before grinding.

I've roasted at a higher temp, and that seems to be the kiss of death.

I like De Arbol as a medium-heat pepper for something like this. I toasted some ghosts OUTSIDE and I got a good seasoning from that, but I didn't quite get. that nutty aroma/flavor.

Back