• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Chorizo's 2019 Glog

This begins with overwintering of Scotch Bonnets, Habaneros (red, orange), and Red Bhuts, plus an occasional Tabasco and Red Chili.  New additions are more Scotch Bonnets seeded over the winter, plus some Reapers purchased from HD recently, and some Red Bells.  Some small Thai germinating too, although my parent plants did not survive.  Also trying to germinate some Piri-Piri.  Was a warmer, wet winter here.this year.  Still drying out.

Attachments

• IMG_1479.jpg
    IMG_1479.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1478.jpg
    IMG_1478.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1477.jpg
    IMG_1477.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 77
Good luck!

I see you are germinating Piri-Piri , sometimes called Peri-Peri , African birds eye or even Pili-Pili in Madagascar.
Where are your seeds from?

My daughter got some dry Piri Piri powder from Portugal, and there were several ungrounded dried peppers mixed in with the powder.  Giving it a try with some of the seeds.

Attachments

• IMG_1491.jpg
    IMG_1491.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 65
Good luck germinating the peri-piri.
Hopefully the pods weren't dried at
too hot of a temperature.

So 2 of my 3 little reaper plants were viciously decapitated by a rouge squirrel at some point (early am).  One survived.  Rather than go on a quest to make squirrel stew for the entire city, I rebooted and acquired some more saplings.  Found some twins (two per pot) and separated them, plus another larger one.  Up to six now, and they are protected in the garage to harden up.  I find evidence of squirrels digging in the pots for the other plants, but these they just bit in half.  Bastards!

I really didnt like that last post!

Maybe I just have wimpy squirrels at my house, but they seem to lose interest in my seedlings if I sprinkle a little crushed red pepper around the base.

I seem to be the only person doing this, so it might be totally bogus.  But it's cheap and easy, and I haven't figured out a better way.

If I had sufficient pepper powder, I would doctor things up.  If I had adequate hair, I'd take a trim and leave some around.  Not an option.  My options are limited.  Still aiming for a positive goal here.  I an optimistic.

Piri Piri was a no go, probably heat treated...oh well.  New pods and buds showing on all plants.  First Bonnet pods pictured.

Attachments

• IMG_1528.jpg
    IMG_1528.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1529.jpg
    IMG_1529.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 70
Weather getting into the 80's this week, and plants are showing multiple flower buds and flowers.  will get a cool snap this weekend, but it won't last.  Seeing leaf-cutters on one plant on other side of yard.  The war begins... :onfire:

15 March update.  Things are looking good so far.

Cherry peppers (left) and Carolina Reapers (right)., Plus a lone Tomatilla.  Have no idea what to do with this.

Attachments

• IMG_1531.jpg
    IMG_1531.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 70
Chorizo857_62J said:
15 March update.  Things are looking good so far.

Cherry peppers (left) and Carolina Reapers (right)., Plus a lone Tomatilla.  Have no idea what to do with this.
Dice up the tomatillos and cherry peppers, add some cilantro, onion and garlic.........you end up with a good salsa.

Sounds good.  In spite of their efforts, I will be civil with the squirrels.  Hard to wait.  Haircut day is tomorrow, so maybe that will keep them out of my pots.  They literally almost dig up the smaller plants each morning and eat them.  Thinking I'll sprinkle what's left of my formerly gorgeous mane around the deck.  Not doing me any good on or off-skull.

I have never grown Tomatillo before.  Looks like a tomato, but then is it a pepper?  Seems to like water like a tomato. Q?

Chorizo857_62J said:

I have never grown Tomatillo before.  Looks like a tomato, but then is it a pepper?  Seems to like water like a tomato. Q?
Tomatillo is not a pepper or tomato, I will let Google be your friend on this one.

+1 Skull - great salsa ingredient.
Don't forget to remove the husk  :rofl:

I like the purple variety when I grow them.

Your plants look great in the sun. Bonnett
pods, to boot. Yay.

Warming up now, getting lots of flowers and now pods. Mostly Scotch Bonnets, habaneros, and reapers.  Ghost peppers still in flower mode.  Pics are still too large to upload.  Working on that.

Back