• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

White Fungus, Mold growing in DWC

I have a 15 gal storage tote as my DWC tank. About one day after adding 15 tsp of maxigro this white stuff started growing on the walls of the tank. There is no light getting in the tank and the stuff only grows on the plastic walls of the tank, bubbler hoses, and net cups. Someone Please tell me what this stuff is.
IMG_6667.JPG
IMG_6668.JPG

Lots of resources online on how to get rid of it.  Personally, I'd sacrifice the pepper and sanitize everything with hot water, H202, bleach, etc.  Typically, when it does get to the roots, they turn brownish.  But that's the roots rotting.  I think the Pythium "colonies" are white, themselves.  Here is a pic of Pythium on roots where you can see the white.

pgf1456.jpg

Another option is that your MaxiGro is precipitating out or not dissolving in to solution.  Try wiping it off and see if it "grows" back.  I sometimes use MaxiGro in DWC and there is often a very tiny amount that never fully dissolves, but nothing like this.  Also, you should be checking your pH and PPM.  Perhaps something is off in that regard. 

Back