• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Are these peppers supposed to be "leggy" at this stage?

I have a number of peppers growing that look like they're doing really well, but I'm curious as to why they look so leggy. I'm not sure if they are supposed to look this way or not. All of these peppers are either Grand Bell, Jalapeno or Cayenne.

Do these look good at this stage? Also, do they need to be transplanted into a larger pot at this time or can I wait until March when I transfer them to their new home outside?

Thanks!

Nick

Attachments

• p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 69
  • p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 69
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 69
They look good. I would not pot up. Just wait until transplant, and plug them into the Earth. I would drive stakes into the planting holes first. Then set your plants right next to the poles and backfill with soil. Lash them to the stake with some garden ties to keep them from flopping over.

Have you thought about topping some of the taller plants to get them to grow out bushier rather then use all their energy to get taller.

Yeah I see the end of a flouesent tube... Is it a T8? 4ft? Only one bulb? more light will keep them from stretching, but I think they don't look bad. A couple in that pic with the ruler look a little unruly.

Them yellowish ones might want fed? Idk lol

Thanks for all the replies! Just to add to the post:

They currently have 4 2ft T5 fluorescent tube lights shining on them (plus the light from the window)

Nick

Attachments

• p4.jpg
    p4.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 64
  • p5.jpg
    p5.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 69
Along with more light ...looking at those under the light I can see there is room for more soil...you  can have a tad more soil
and that will also stabilize them some till they get to the next level of pot size etc...good luck

I'd suggest putting the taller ones in one flat and the shorter in another and then putting items of various height under each flat to raise it close to the light. The issue you'll run into with florescent light is that it drops off in intensity more quickly than most other lighting and if the plants get tall the lower part of the plants won't get sufficient light - though your setup by the window and natural light should certainly help some!  IDK if those are T5HO or just T5, but IMO the plants are acting like they should have more intense light and if you wait too long you'll have issues getting sufficient light down through the plant.  Then you're looking at potentially more drastic actions like topping to tide things over until you can get them outside.

jedisushi06 said:
your lights too high but you can bury the stem when you transplant. 

This.  Get the light down (or plants up) to where they are within an inch of the light bulbs and they won't be leggy.

Also definitely put them as deep as possible when you pot up. 

jedisushi06 said:
your lights too high but you can bury the stem when you transplant. 

SmokenFire said:

This.  Get the light down (or plants up) to where they are within an inch of the light bulbs and they won't be leggy.

Also definitely put them as deep as possible when you pot up. 

What they said ,  :party:

Back