• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Germination or bust.

Well folks it seems this whole pepper growing hobby has just about got the best of me but momma didn't raise no quitter.

Almost a year of effort and not a single germination using Jalapeno  seeds  from various vendors as well as what seems to be most of the seed starting mediums on the market.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH,... gimme your secret, please before I lose what's left of my remaining grey matter.

TIA,3D

juanitos said:
post pictures of your setup and we will tell you what you are doing wrong.

Just about anything I could find on the internet as.well as books and Youtube but enough about me. What works for you as your go to method ?

For example check this topic  http://thehotpepper.com/topic/70751-my-method-for-starting-seeds/#entry1610322

As of myself, usually I use trays filled with a mix of soil and perlite, nothing special, I make sure is moist, and put the seeds in each tray. I used to cover them, but in the last time I have left the seeds on top, and covered them when I saw a sign of germination (thin layer of soil), just to avoid as much as possible those helmets.... The try is covered with a transparent cover. I have also used paper towel method, into a box covered with a plastic bag. I have used this year the plastic layer from some candies, because they had round shape, I filled them with soil mix and put the seeds on top, keep moist, and covered with a plastic bag. I did germinated this way some Eximium, Lanceolatum, and some other wilds.

I home some more experienced people will show up and have some input.

Choose one way and put pictures here, for sure will be guided.

Almost forgot, not only you need to keep the moisture, you need a proper temperature too.

rghm1u20 said:

Almost forgot, not only you need to keep the moisture, you need a proper temperature too.

Have tried covered seed trays to create a closed moist terrariam  environment on a 82 degree heat mat.

Nuttin'

Are you sure it was 82 F? Hopefully you didn't cooked them. 

Try the method explained in Tom's topic (the link I put in my previous post).

The single most important suggestion I can give is to make sure that you are starting with good seeds. If the seeds are too old, that could well be the problem. If you got them from some random vendors on Amazon or Ebay, they might have sold you old seeds as well. Since you are starting over, I would recommend to:

1. Get some fresh seeds from a trustworthy vendor like White Hot Peppers https://www.whitehotpeppers.com/ or Juanitos Peppers https://juanitospeppers.com/

2. Fill the trays with any decent seed starting mix, and ensure that you keep it moist (don't allow the cells to dry out)

3. (optional) Use a heat mat to keep the soil temperature around 80 F (a themostat also helps to ensure correct temperature)

If you follow these three simple steps, you should have no difficulty germinating peppers. Good luck! 

BlackFatalii said:
The single most important suggestion I can give is to make sure that you are starting with good seeds. If the seeds are too old, that could well be the problem. If you got them from some random vendors on Amazon or Ebay, they might have sold you old seeds as well. Since you are starting over, I would recommend to:

1. Get some fresh seeds from a trustworthy vendor like White Hot Peppers https://www.whitehotpeppers.com/ or Juanitos Peppers https://juanitospeppers.com/

2. Fill the trays with any decent seed starting mix, and ensure that you keep it moist (don't allow the cells to dry out)

3. (optional) Use a heat mat to keep the soil temperature around 80 F (a themostat also helps to ensure correct temperature)

If you follow these three simple steps, you should have no difficulty germinating peppers. Good luck! 

Many thanks,Black Fatalli.

BlackFatalii

can i suggest that along with working on getting better germination results that you buy a few seedlings from a big box store or local nursery? i`m assuming you don`t? at least then you would have something growing this spring if the seed germination doesn`t work out well. good luck! :cheers:

luvmesump3pp3rz said:
can i suggest that along with working on getting better germination results that you buy a few seedlings from a big box store or local nursery? i`m assuming you don`t? at least then you would have something growing this spring if the seed germination doesn`t work out well. good luck! :cheers:

Not a problem buying plants.

Seeds are more "fun" :rolleyes:

here's some of the methods i've used:

1. in a domed tray
1a. in coco, peat plugs
1b. in berger bm7 or promix hp or 5-1-1
1c. hydro in perlite, coco coir, rockwool

using a variety of pot sizes and tray sizes, like 36 cell, 72 cell, 3.5 inch pots, solo cups, 2inch pots, etc

i like 1b because it's the easiest

2. in plastic food container (tupper wear)
2a. with a coffee fitler
2b. with paper towel
2c. with coco coir
2d. with berger bm7 or promix hp or 5-1-1

all of these are good

3. in plastic bag (ziploc)
3a. with paper towel
3b. with coffee filter

i don't much like having them sandwiched in a bag anymore

ALL of these methods produced viable plants.

so i would say if you are having problems germinating seeds then you are probably doing something wrong or using bad seed like above users suggested.

​To all. It appears that that prior to this thread the previously unattainable has happened.WOW

several days ago I placed about 6-8 jap seeds on a paper towel to soak in the hope of germination. Done this many times in the past with no success however this time I did not fold the paper in half instead just laying them on the damp surface and closing the bag up leaving them under my red/blue grow light to soak @ 82 F.

Just checked them a few minutes ago and,..................................... 100% germination !!!!!

Unfortunately I didn't take notes so no idea if the solution was plain H2O or a mix of saltpeter /H20.

Will try again.

I'd like to think this thread scared the seeds into submission. HAHAHA

Thanks for your input.

Back