• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Unexpected kitchen gadgets

Sometimes some tool intended for some other use proves to be handy around the kitchen. A well-known example is a carpenter's rasp, which proves itself for zesting, etc. Have you adapted something to kitchen use?

Here's a recent one for me. I bought this paper towel holder at a discount tool store. It's two separate pieces, backed with magnets, made to stick onto a mechanic's steel tool chest. But it sticks to a refrigerator. as well.

towel_holder.jpg

It keeps the roll off the counter, and it's not a permanent installation so you can temporarily stick it onto something else.

Another example: "Locking pliers" usually aka vise grips, as a nutcracker. I'm sure all of us have used them in one way or another. 

A basic nutcracker uses long handles to deliver force to short jaws. Locking pliers are hinged to limit the stroke of the jaws, just as the greatest leverage is applied. A thumbscrew lets you set the gap for that closing point, as opposed to a simple nutcracker or pliers which don't stop until the jaws meet enough resistance. 

Here's a tough nut to crack: A pecan. A delicate shell holding fragile meats easily broken. Dial in the thumbscrew setting and you can stop the jaws at a gap that just barely cracks the shell without going through it. You get more intact meats, for presentation on a pie, etc.

Or, the big English walnuts, similar situation but with a tougher shell. Tour around the shell just fracturing it and you can break off the pieces to reveal intact meats.

Or, hazelnuts, those are very easy. You may need to float the thumbscrew depending on the size of each nutshell, Once you have it right you can reliably get intact meats. Almonds are easy, too, though they have a 2-layer shell.

Well, I'll admit that's just nuts. How about crab or lobster shells? Would this beat whacking with mallets?

But you don't dig the tool out of a dirty toolbox. It stays clean, what I call "food grade" meaning it will never have any contaminant on it.

I like to use the right tool for the job. I do have a wood rasp but it would not zest fruit or shred cheese the same. I have this (the original Microplane) and you zest with ease and the other side collects it, then you just turn it over and tap it out, or you simply shred over your dish.

They are not expensive and mine has lasted years. A rasp? No thanks. Why? If you save $4 is it really worth that, over 10 years, to not have the right tool?

I ain't shredding no Parmigiano-Reggiano with a rasp! :lol:

microplane.jpg

Out of curiosity I looked at prices and they cost the same!

Rasp:

rasp.jpg

Serious question: Is your wife making you sleep in the garage? :lol:

Back