• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

StettoGro '19: In For a Dime

76....In English that would be ALMOST TWICE AS DAMNED MANY AS LAST YEAR.

Ah well, Last year I dwelled on downsizing, this year I must have assumed it would be automatic.

I argued with myself over whether to glog at all this year, other than to carry over noobishness from the last two seasons I don't have that much to offer...But everyone loves to see a Zone 3 die-hard gardener scratch and claw his way through a short season!!

Anyhow, this is how my week started---I was particularly proud of my innovative use of the pill caddy.... :idea:

Soakin seeds.jpg

That was the first "load", almost all black seeds. The next day the yellow seeds went in while the black ones found their nests. The sad thing is the seeds I didn't put in; the Paprika and the Urfa Biber and the Aji Limo and the and the and the...Until that damned greenhouse gets itself magically erected I gotta limit myself.

OK, at least one of each Pubescen is going into fivers or larger containers. So will the best of the Pimenta De Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques and my Sri Lanka Chilli Red competitor and what long season peppers I can. What goes into the 8th acre this year will be treated to a till-less grow, it's at least worth a try. Most of the anuums will be out there.

For what it's worth, here is the current state of my grow....

76 starts.jpg

Pubescens:
CaneDog
Big Apple Red Rocoto--3
Mini Brown Rocoto--3
De Seda Yellow/Orange Rocoto--3
Costa Rica Red Rocoto--3
XL Brown Rocoto--3
Gelbe Riesen Yellow Rocoto--3
Gelbe Riesen Var--3
Arequipa Giant Red Rocoto--3

Greenchilemonster
Giant Yellow Rocoto--3
Turbo Pube--3
Ecuador Red Rocoto---3
Aji Largo Rocoto--3
Large Red Rocoto--1

Chinense:
Greenchilemonster
Aji Arnaucho--2
Papa Dreadie SB--3

PaulG
Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques Violet F6--3
Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques White F6--3

Anuum:
Pepper Guru
Sri Lanka Chilli Red Growdown --2
Sri Lanka Chilli Red Off-Pheno (?)--1

Devv
Jimmy Nardello--3

Moruga Welder
Aleppo--3
Antake--2
Antep Aci Dolma--3

Tradewinds Fruit
Big Jim--6
Sante Fe Grande--2

Costco (yup, seeds from store peppers)
Red Bell (for the Darlin' Bride and her stir-fry)--6

I still have the OWs, Aji Amarillo, Aji Mango, Turbo Pube, Large Red Rocoto, Rocoto Rojo (2), Peruvian Red Rocoto (2) Ecuador Red Rocoto, Large Orange Thai, Aji Oro, Rocoto Arequipena, but I didn't want to brag.

Let the love-hate begin! I'm gonna start it with a Voodoo Ranger....

Let me be the first to say  :welcome: to
glogosphere 2019, Eric!

Glad to see you getting underway - that
is a great list - all good stuff, for sure.

I really like your pubescens collection.
Very ambitious, my friend. And glad to see
the Aji Amarillos still plugging along!

Don't be afraid to start lots of the PdNxBMJ
seeds, they have been buggers to germinate
for me. You can always toss extra sprouts.

And the OWs! You're killin' it   :party:

PaulG said:
Let me be the first to say  :welcome: to
glogosphere 2019, Eric!    Heh heh heh, thanks Paul....So-o-o-o glad to be back!!

Glad to see you getting underway - that
is a great list - all good stuff, for sure. Why does it feel like it ain't enough?

I really like your pubescens collection.
Very ambitious, my friend. And glad to see
the Aji Amarillos still plugging along!             Get this: I didn't get one dam rocoto set until I brought them in for the winter. That's when the Turbo and the Large Red and the Ecuador Red started to set fruit! I'm praying for a better season this year.

Don't be afraid to start lots of the PdNxBMJ
seeds, they have been buggers to germinate
for me. You can always toss extra sprouts.   I may well plant the remainder, I ran out of seedling soil and tray...

And the OWs! You're killin' it   :party:  Amazes nobody more than me!! I transplanted the Arequipena last week and it didn't skip a beat. No shock, no droop, no leaf-drop...I'm a Master!!!

You know that you're actually the father of the StettoGrows, Paul, you sent me those first Aji Amarillo seeds. Remember the mystery peppers that grew from the "Peru" packet that wound up to be Aji Limo? I would so love to know how to recognize those seeds Idiot me dried and ground every one of the peppers I picked. I hate the thought of planting a hundred seeds to find them. Being Chinense, I was hoping the seeds have that ancient wrinkly dried out look that so many Chinense seeds do, but these don't have that....

Blafa said:
Looking really slick!  :dance:

I will follow with interest, especially curious to see how the Pubescens will do. Never been able to carry until harvest myself!
Hey, thanks!

My Rocotos are going into containers because of the long season they demand. The first year I grew any Pubescens it was Aji Oros, and though they podded up great, I only got to harvest a fraction of them before the frost.

...I know better now...

Stetto, glad you decided to glog it this season.  Was great to follow what you did last year and looking forward to it again.  Will be cool to see what some of those OW's do for you with a season under their belts.  Also how things go with the PdN/BMJ's from Paul.  Amazing looking plants.  And the rocoto jungle you have brewing. The list goes on.

And good luck with the contest chili red!   A little advice from someone who's been growing that one a month now; it doesn't like to be over-watered. Don't be afraid to let it get dry if you want it to be happy.  Really dry.  I mean, even once it starts to wilt I'd give it a good 7-10 days before I thought about hydrating it.  ;)

Good growing!

CaneDog said:
Stetto, glad you decided to glog it this season.  Was great to follow what you did last year and looking forward to it again.  Will be cool to see what some of those OW's do for you with a season under their belts.  Also how things go with the PdN/BMJ's from Paul.  Amazing looking plants.  And the rocoto jungle you have brewing. The list goes on.

And good luck with the contest chili red!   A little advice from someone who's been growing that one a month now; it doesn't like to be over-watered. Don't be afraid to let it get dry if you want it to be happy.  Really dry.  I mean, even once it starts to wilt I'd give it a good 7-10 days before I thought about hydrating it.  ;)

Good growing!

Walchit said:
Yeah Sri Lanka can easily go 2 weeks without water. Wait till it looks like its dead b4 watering.

:liar: :liar: :liar: :liar:

PaulG said:
Have I not sent you the Red Rocoto (3rd generation
peruvian market seed descendent) seed I've been
growing? It's late but I'll send some, otherwise I'll
send the seed from the 2019 crop.

Ooh Paul, you make me tingly all over!!

CaneDog said:

Good growing!

You know, 'Dog...if you were to look wa-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-ay back into the '17 Aji Lemon Drop Growdown, you would learn that I was one of, if not THE first to give...umm...distracting advice to fellow competitors. I already know that aloe vera gel is the ONLY water a seedling pepper needs...

moruga welder said:
Keeping it alive !  Great to see my friend ,     Good Luck to a Great Grow !

Frank!! Long time, my friend! We are so enjoying a new level of stuffed pepper thanks to you! Youda Mang, man!!

Walchit said:
Yeah Sri Lanka can easily go 2 weeks without water. Wait till it looks like its dead b4 watering.
skullbiker said:
+1 [emoji106] Deader looking is better looking.

Yeah, you guys funny too... :crazy:

CDNmatt said:

:liar: :liar: :liar: :liar:

Gonna save this one for future use...

stettoman said:
Good to see you, Matt!

Can we assume your adventure to begin tomorrow?
I've been delaying my glog this year. My wife and I are pregnant and part of the deal was no peppers in 2019.
She can't stand the smell of chinense peppers and I can't fart or cut open a pod without her gagging and running to puke.

So I've got 2 giant red rocoto i overwintered. and I may start some of your NuMex peppers for the garden. I bought seeds for a Hawaiian frutescens while I was in Kona this fall and I'll probably grow those as a souvenir. but I'm sad to say that's about it this year.

Babe is due at the end of July. I'll probably just post pictures of food and the garden. Probably whiskey too

But its never too early to plan for 2020 :party:

Malarky said:
I've been delaying my glog this year. My wife and I are pregnant and part of the deal was no peppers in 2019.
She can't stand the smell of chinense peppers and I can't fart or cut open a pod without her gagging and running to puke.

So I've got 2 giant red rocoto i overwintered. and I may start some of your NuMex peppers for the garden. I bought seeds for a Hawaiian frutescens while I was in Kona this fall and I'll probably grow those as a souvenir. but I'm sad to say that's about it this year.

Babe is due at the end of July. I'll probably just post pictures of food and the garden. Probably whiskey too

But its never too early to plan for 2020 :party:

Congrats, man! I don't really envy you, but I wish you well. We cut our youngest loose last summer, it was a wild ride....

You get to slide this year, but I'm taking notes...

Malarky said:

But its never too early to plan for 2020
:party:
30 September 2017 - 03:04 PM " i'm guessing i took pics day of, or day before, though not 100% on that."

I have found 'Pineapple Rocoto' to do fairly well in our short season (i am next door in zone 4a), and though other peppers took their place last year based only on my limiting of space... There have been 4 cells sown (3 seeds each) of Pineapple Rocoto this year, as it has done well ripening within our short season in the past...

etnw7j5.jpg

j4IIhPx.jpg

TgOIkMC.jpg
a decent size picking / pull of them in the middle top there... 

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/64878-gips-2017-oh-hail-no-glog/?p=1495218
for size reference;
BXCpDit.jpg

09.02.16%20Pineapple%20Rocoto_zpsxvt4v0o7.jpg

09.02.16%20Pineapple%20Rocotos_zpsuml9rm4n.jpg

09.04.16%20Pineapple%20Rocotos_zpsemcuyqb0.jpg

09.04.16%20Pineapple%20Rocoto%20cut%20pic_zpsyhzjcf9w.jpg

for reference this was around September 4th
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/60098-gip-2016-grow/?p=1359688

my initial review;
"My first Pineapple Rocoto and i found it to initially have less fragrance than i though it would. It did have a scent, but it wasn't that strong.
Initially, first thing i noticed was how incredibly juicy it was, just squirts with each chew, which then causes you to salivate as well.
It's Hot and it's heat comes on all at once. It's not incredibly hot or anything, but hot enough i would prefer eating it with food  :)
I found the heat to remain mostly on the back of the tongue, top back of the mouth, and top of the throat, none down the throat and barely any on the lips, tip of the tongue, or front of the mouth.
The flavor I would say is subtle, it has more fruitiness than other yellow pubescens I've tried, but it's hard to place. Apricot like maybe ?
I like it enough that i will look forward to growing them again. and feel that i will better be able to describe my opinion on them after trying them with food."

for those of you in zone 4a or lower i would be happy to share the limited number of seeds i have saved :D
 Think i have 20 or more left after sowing enough for this year
i am happy to share my remaining seeds with you, & those in zone 4a or lower, until i have no more left to share until the followin year.
i didn't grow them this previous year, as other early sprouts took their spot. But i am sure most of these couple year old seeds are viable. 
Let me know if you want a few Pineapple Rocoto , even if possibly too late for this year, but perhaps next years grow ?

:cheers: 

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
30 September 2017 - 03:04 PM " i'm guessing i took pics day of, or day before, though not 100% on that."

I have found 'Pineapple Rocoto' to do fairly well in our short season (i am next door in zone 4a), and though other peppers took their place last year based only on my limiting of space... There have been 4 cells sown (3 seeds each) of Pineapple Rocoto this year, as it has done well ripening within our short season in the past...

my initial review;
"My first Pineapple Rocoto and i found it to initially have less fragrance than i though it would. It did have a scent, but it wasn't that strong.
Initially, first thing i noticed was how incredibly juicy it was, just squirts with each chew, which then causes you to salivate as well.
It's Hot and it's heat comes on all at once. It's not incredibly hot or anything, but hot enough i would prefer eating it with food  :)
I found the heat to remain mostly on the back of the tongue, top back of the mouth, and top of the throat, none down the throat and barely any on the lips, tip of the tongue, or front of the mouth.
The flavor I would say is subtle, it has more fruitiness than other yellow pubescens I've tried, but it's hard to place. Apricot like maybe ?
I like it enough that i will look forward to growing them again. and feel that i will better be able to describe my opinion on them after trying them with food."

for those of you in zone 4a or lower i would be happy to share the limited number of seeds i have saved :D
 Think i have 20 or more left after sowing enough for this year
i am happy to share my remaining seeds with you, & those in zone 4a or lower, until i have no more left to share until the followin year.
i didn't grow them this previous year, as other early sprouts took their spot. But i am sure most of these couple year old seeds are viable. 
Let me know if you want a few Pineapple Rocoto , even if possibly too late for this year, but perhaps next years grow ?

:cheers:

Oh my, GIP, I could hardly turn down such a gracious offer. They sound perfect for my use, too. Check for a PM!

Back