• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Stopping fermentation?

Hello guys,

I started fermenting only several months ago and in that time i have done 4 different ferments. Today I finished a bottle from the first batch and decided to open a new one. After I opened it, I tasted it and it seemed that the fermentation did not stop even after I boiled the sauce. I made over 4 litres of hot sauce on my last batch and now I am afraid that the fermentation might be active even after boiling it. It would be sad if 4 litres of sauce just explodes. Do you guys have any sure tips on how to stop the fermentation? I added sugar after fermenting and the PH is 3.6-3.7

I have a sauce that I made, without sugar, as I don’t really need the additional calories and that has started to ferment! Be interested if there is an easy way to stop it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dodovas said:
Hello guys,

I started fermenting only several months ago and in that time i have done 4 different ferments. Today I finished a bottle from the first batch and decided to open a new one. After I opened it, I tasted it and it seemed that the fermentation did not stop even after I boiled the sauce. I made over 4 litres of hot sauce on my last batch and now I am afraid that the fermentation might be active even after boiling it. It would be sad if 4 litres of sauce just explodes. Do you guys have any sure tips on how to stop the fermentation? I added sugar after fermenting and the PH is 3.6-3.7

If you boiled the ferment you should have killed off any ambient lacto that was present in the mash prior to bottling.  If you didn't reach a full roiling boil or if you brought the mash just to a simmer before bottling and then added sugar then there's a chance that the batch continued fermenting after bottling.

Did you hear a slight tsk sound like it was an air seal breaking when opening the bottle or did the contents of the bottle rise up and out when the bottle was opened?  IF you had any sauce swell or rise up and out of the bottle then yes the batch is still fermenting and under pressure.  And it needs to be dealt with before you have hot sauce grenades sitting around the house.  :)

Not to worry on losing the sauce though.  Since the ph is so low you can empty all the sauce out of the bottles into a large pot, reheat the sauce till boiling (like 5 mins at 212 or above), taste and adjust as needed and then re-bottle.  The bottles you have can be reused after they've been sanitized but I do not believe you can reuse the caps as the inner seal has been exposed to heat and hot sauce.

Back