• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2019 Hirsute Pursuit – Rocotos, Wilds & Moar

So, here's the new glog for the coming season.  With the indoor grow culled pretty hard now I can focus more on getting ready for what's ahead.  Hoping for a great year, but I’m already a bit behind - the germinators are packed right now and I've still got a round of annuum seeds waiting for their turn.  I guess it wouldn’t feel much like pepper growing though if everything were going perfect.

My focus was going to be rocotos with a side of bonnets and some other stuff, but I found I kept planting more and more wilds. Eventually I just kinda went all-in with them and they took on co-main event status. 

I’ll start things off with some pics of some of the earlier pube’s.  There’s not too many at this point. Unfortunately, the vast majority just went into germination.

First off, Costa Rica Red.  This is the CRR with flattened triangular pods.  I also have an OW CRR that’s a 3-4 lobed “boxy” variety.  I didn't get true seeds off this one last summer, so I have a few of these growing and crossing my fingers they grow true.
20190305%20CRR%20(P)-R.jpg

Rocoto DeSeda.  These guys were from a bush I’d OW’d a few years in a row, but it didn’t make it through this winter
20190305%20DeSeda-R.jpg

Rocoto San Camillo
20190305%20SanCamillo-R.jpg

Gelbe Reisen Variant.  These are from true seeds off a plant I’ve been growing for a few years that was supposed to be Gelbe Riesen, but the pods are more orange vs yellow, rounder/less boxy, and just a touch smaller. I don’t know if it’s a natural variation or it might have crossed with a Costa Rica Orange, but it's a great plant. I have a few of these started and am curious what comes of them.
20190305%20GRV-R.jpg

Giant Yellow Rocoto.  Suppose I should pinch that bud off.
20190305%20GYellow-R.jpg

Recently hatched Gelbe Riesen sprouts (the parent plant has been a beast for me for a while now) and CAP 217 Hyper-Pube.
20190305%20Hyper&Gelbe-R.jpg

That’s it for the rocotos for now.  Will try to post up some pics of the early wilds in a little bit. 

CD

Think I'll post these a few at a time rather than in one big picture dump.

First, an update on the tovarii, seeds courtesy of cmpman1974's gratis giveaway - muchas!
20190228_Tovarii-W.jpg

Recent germination of Cardenasii CGN left me with a breeding pair
20190305%20CardCGN1-W.jpg

&
20190305%20CardCGN2-W.jpg

And I've been holding out hope, and got lucky just the other day with a second Cardenasii PI, so if I play my cards right (like that one iFish?) I'll be able to breed these guys out as well.
20190305%20CardPI1-W.jpg

&
20190305%20CardPI2-W.jpg

and for Walchit, who saw the spider and not just the Starship Enterprise (http://thehotpepper.com/topic/70211-canedog-off-season-season-201819/?p=1616806), purple flex:
20190302_FlexSpider-W.jpg

And finally, for now, I had only 1 Flex PI come up, so, after waiting not very patiently for not long enough, I dropped another 5 seeds to be sure I'd have a backup and hopefully quickly.  And what happens, all 5 pop plus a strangler from the first seeds so now I have 7.  And I'm just not good at culling plants.

Can't quite see #5 in there.
20190305%20FlexPIx5_2-W.jpg

With a cool little tri-cot in the mix...
20190305%20FlexPI_TriCot-W.jpg

CD

Edmick said:
Great looking plants. Sending positive vibes your way for a good season!
Thanks Edmick.I'll send those positive vibes right back at'cha, except for your SLC Reds which I'm still kinda hoping you drop on their heads :evil:

karoo said:
Some really hairy seedlings you have there! Nice.

Growing pubes for the first time this year, so I will be following.
Great pic , the last one.
Been enjoying watching that Karoo, your weather won't make it simple with those guys, but I'm sure your skills will overcome.

CraftyFox said:
Nice Pubescens.. Only waiting on the one MBR now, the rest are all up and doing well, albeit a bit leggy.
How old are those Tovarii? Nice woody look to them!
I thought I saw in the SUYP thread that was up already - just waiting on another?  Tovarii are 10 weeks since hook, 16 weeks from planting.  They woody up quick!

Uncle_Eccoli said:
Bristly!  Tell us about your soil mix?

Hey Uncle E.  It's basically this (varies a bit from time-to-time based on available ingredients or how lazy I feel when I'm mixing it up), just without any top mulch yet - http://thehotpepper.com/topic/70211-canedog-off-season-season-201819/?p=1603878

CDNmatt said:
Captain meme strikes again!

CaneDog said:
And finally, for now, I had only 1 Flex PI come up, so, after waiting not very patiently for not long enough, I dropped another 5 seeds to be sure I'd have a backup and hopefully quickly.  And what happens, all 5 pop plus a strangler from the first seeds so now I have 7.  And I'm just not good at culling plants.
:rofl: :rofl: ​ Man, when will we ever learn? The seeds know this, and just yank our chains.

CaneDog said:
Thanks Edmick.I'll send those positive vibes right back at'cha, except for your SLC Reds which I'm still kinda hoping you drop on their heads :evil:

Been enjoying watching that Karoo, your weather won't make it simple with those guys, but I'm sure your skills will overcome.

I thought I saw in the SUYP thread that was up already - just waiting on another?  Tovarii are 10 weeks since hook, 16 weeks from planting.  They woody up quick!

Hey Uncle E.  It's basically this (varies a bit from time-to-time based on available ingredients or how lazy I feel when I'm mixing it up), just without any top mulch yet - http://thehotpepper.com/topic/70211-canedog-off-season-season-201819/?p=1603878
I dropped 3 of them and 2 came up with authority, the last is also the last of the ones I dropped.. All the rest I put in are up and going! 

Great to see the progress with all your plants/seedlings CD...so lovely to see the Wilds growing up ...you're off &  running.

That Eximium (CAP1491) is so pretty...anyone who grows   wilds  can appreciate  your accomplishments..Fantastique.

wiriwiri said:
 Great to see the progress with all your plants/seedlings CD...so lovely to see the Wilds growing up ...you're off &  running.

That Eximium (CAP1491) is so pretty...anyone who grows   wilds  can appreciate  your accomplishments..Fantastique.

Thanks ww and glad to have you visit. Really looking forward your grow this season - will be particularly interesting to see how your rocopica and ulupico varieties develop.  Glad to hear seeds have started to pop already! 

Kennylay said:
The color and texture of that foliage though...
Yeah man!  I'm a big fan of foliage color/texture myself.  There's a couple/few glogs out now that are really centered around awesome foliage varieties. Gotta remain nameless so as not to leave out other awesome glogs - but you guys know who you are!

OK, so this is the last post to catch up on the existing titular varieties, but there's a couple more wilds I hope will be along soon and a slew of rocotos.  All these guys below germinated at 100%, as did many above (or at least close to), so before long I may end up down at the park next to the kids with the box of kittens trying to hand out a free pepper plant with each one.

Lanceolatum - Amazing how far these guys have come since being dwarfed by a mini battery less than two months ago.  And they must have been doing their pull-ups because lats-for-days!
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/70211-canedog-off-season-season-201819/?p=1607623
2019-03-06%20Lance.jpg

SLP's Galapogoense L
2019-03-06%20GalapL.jpg

Ayuyo - IDK, is this technically a wild?  An interesting one either way.
2019-03-06%20Ayuyo.jpg

Back