• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Why are fresh jalapenos always available?

I tried googling it and couldn't find anything. They're never unavailable. These and bell peppers seem to be the only ones this applies to.

Demand, I guess.  There's always someplace warm enough.  Saw a thing the other day about how the vast majority of Valentine's Day flowers sold in the US are grown in Colombia.

Year-round fresh peppers in my area include Jalapeños, various Bells, Poblanos, Habaneros (usually orange, sometimes red), long hots, and whatever these little pointy generic chiles are that the Indian/Pakistani market has. Also, Thai and Finger Hots are usually available year-round at the Korean Market. Other varieties sometimes pops up out-of-season (Serranos, and lately, Manzanos)... But I can't count on getting these each and every time I visit the market.

Obviously, these aren't being grown for commercial purposes in NJ, so they are coming from faraway warm places. The quality almost always seems worse in these winter months, FWIW, but I'm grateful to have them. Depending on the application, fresh is better than thawed out frozen pods.

Always available in this area are:  Bells (various colors); Yum Yum Mini Bells (various colors); Jalapenos, Habaneros, Serranos, Poblanos, Anaheims and assorted dried chiles.  

I'm in Wisconsin and I can always find Bells, Jala's, poblanos, serranos, anaheims, and hab's.
found dried ghosts in a packet too.  just a small town grocery

In my neck of the woods where it seems like winter all the time.....Jalapenos are always available all winter long...product of Mexico.....Jalapenos are a very popular pepper....supply and demand.

jalaliens_meme.png

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

Maybe where you are....

gKzd2ZI.jpg
Yes, HERE meaning where I am. I thought that was a given. I wouldn't speak for an entire country.

EDIT: And do you always feel the need to try and correct people and prove them wrong? A tad bit annoying.

The only fresh peppers I can consistently get are bells; always the small Japanese variety and sometimes larger yellow, red, or orange ones (I don't remember seeing unripe western-size bell peppers here).

Gotta go to the Korean market or one of the really big import grocery stores to get other non-dried peppers, and then the selection is seriously limited... hence the growing. :)

I'd agree with what others said about popularity, more than anything else. We have most of the popular ones here too, but the Habs get pretty sketchy this time of year and you have to use them fairly fast or rot. No doubt though, if a store only has one pepper, it'll likely be a bell.. Two and you get a jalapeno. What ever happened to cayenne peppers? I remember when anyone who had a selection had them, now they are almost non-existent in the fresh market around here, even in the season.

Because of world trade. When is winter in the northern hemisphere is summer in the Southern Hemisphere. Look at the PLCs (price look-up codes) that little oval pesky sticker on you store bought Apple. It tells you where the produce came from. Chiquita And Del Monte own vast lands across the world to bring you your tasty jalapeño and the hass average Cade so you can make that nice dip all year round. And you think the US armed forces are only interested in oil. I would say Wrong Wrong! We are spread out all day very the world so you can have peaches in February and Sweet potatoes in July.

Thank you WTO, Thank you Dole, Thank you Del Monte and Thank you Chiquita

Semper Fi,
Good Bless America

Oddly, around here Walmart nearly always has serrano and jalapeno from Mexico....The last few times i got jalas there they were killer too. Fresh Thyme hasnt had squat for over a month besides bells. Our international market almost always has a good variety but the jala quality is very spotty....Lots of flavorless "duds" but their serranos kick butt.

Fresh Jalapenos aren't really available in the UK, it's usually just Scotch Bonnet, Thai chillies and just chillies. Jalapenos are the most common pickled variety though.

Back