• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Discolored Leaves?

I've been searching, with no luck, for an answer to why a few seedlings have developed what looks like a purple or maybe black color to some leaves. the plants are a month old growing in a Burpee tray with their soil. I haven't given them anything but water up to now. They have 2 sets of true leaves.
I'm noticing it on one Carolina Reaper and a few Nu-Mex Twilights so far.
I've never grown these before, so maybe it's not unusual but if it's a problem I'd like to do something before it gets worse
Thanks for any advise. Here's the reaper; the one on the left is discolored, the right ones leaf damage is from removing the helmet when it was younger. 
IMG_2312.JPG

Some of my seedlings have shown the same problems, based on what I found in the literature, it's a phosphorus deficiency, but I'd be curious to hear what the actual experts have to say on the topic... :)

Probably time to start feeding a weak nutrient solution anyways?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

karoo said:
Looks like a bit of lightburn. It does not look too serious.
Your plants look strong and stocky , how is your light setup.?
Thanks for the info Karoo, It could be, I have a 4lamp fixture of t5's 6500k, thats a few inches from the plants. I'll raise it up some. When you say light burn,  are you talking about the temperature or the intensity of the light? I just checked and the temp is 70.5°f at the top of the plant, so I'm thinking you're talking intensity.

I am probably not the right one to jump in here because I have only been gardening for 45 years. Many many on this forum will disagree with me but my plants all get supplemental nutrients as soon as they are standing straight up. My plants seem to do OK so that is my 2 cents. I would give them some nutes but dont jack em too hard after starving them.

I agree with karoo. It's the light intensity, not the heat. Purple isn't typical for those types, but they're only slightly tinged. Raise the light as you go. You're pretty much in the sweet spot since they aren't stretching nor are they really sunburnt. Nice work.

DanMcG said:
Thanks for the info Karoo, It could be, I have a 4lamp fixture of t5's 6500k, thats a few inches from the plants. I'll raise it up some. When you say light burn,  are you talking about the temperature or the intensity of the light? I just checked and the temp is 70.5°f at the top of the plant, so I'm thinking you're talking intensity.
Maybe a bit of both.

Just an update to say thanks for the advice. This is the reaper with the discolored leaf, it's the one at 6 o'clock or  the bottom of your screen.  almost not noticeable. Thanks again. Dan 

IMG_E2343.JPG

Back