• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Hydroponic seed starting system

Here's a video on a system I built for starting seeds. It's DWC in a 5-gallon tote.
Overhead pic before I transplanted any out of it.

aUSezuel.jpg

Some plants I transplanted out of this system.

CJ9iJMVl.jpg

1VTCA0el.jpg

2QA2u2Yl.jpg

Hi Peter, I like this design for starting and growing out seedlings but how do you get them out of the 1" net pot? Or do you leave them in there? I like the 5 gallon tote design but I'm thinking of using 2" net pots so that I can leave the plants in there.

Siv said:
Hi Peter, I like this design for starting and growing out seedlings but how do you get them out of the 1" net pot? Or do you leave them in there? I like the 5 gallon tote design but I'm thinking of using 2" net pots so that I can leave the plants in there.
If they're young enough still, you can just carefully pull them up and out. Some I've pulled out I've lost a few strands, but they were fine. Going forward, I'm going to cut the bottoms out of those net pots, leaving just the rim to keep the sponge in. That'll make it much easier to remove. I'm probably going to use something thicker, like Rapid Rooters, or Root Riot plugs and quarter them the long way. That might be cheaper in the long run, can save the AeroGarden sponges for the AeroGarden.

Thanks Peter. This is my first time growing from seed and doing hydro so it's all new to me.

I was going to order some 1" net pots but I'm already using Grodan 1.5" rockwool cubes which fit the 2" pot. Your suggestion to cut the bottoms will work well with the 2" pots I already have. I'm gonna cut the pot so that there is only small amount remaining at the bottom to prevent the rockwool from falling through. I'm also using the neoprene style cloning collars (cut in half to make them thinner) to cover up the top to block any light and so that when I put them outdoors there shouldn't be too much rain getting into the tub. I'll post a pic when I get it done!

So here's what I ended up with - cut the cup to provide plenty of room for roots but the rockwool cube is still held securely and can't slip out:

IMG_2853 (Small).JPG

Used the neoprene collar to cover up the top:

IMG_2855 (Small).JPG

And this is what it looks like on the box (this is a larger tote but same principal):

IMG_2852 (Small).JPG

I've done the same thing with smaller rockwool cubes but just cut less from the bottom of the net cup to ensure they don't slip down.

Siv said:
So here's what I ended up with - cut the cup to provide plenty of room for roots but the rockwool cube is still held securely and can't slip out:

attachicon.gif
IMG_2853 (Small).JPG

Used the neoprene collar to cover up the top:

attachicon.gif
IMG_2855 (Small).JPG

And this is what it looks like on the box (this is a larger tote but same principal):

attachicon.gif
IMG_2852 (Small).JPG

I've done the same thing with smaller rockwool cubes but just cut less from the bottom of the net cup to ensure they don't slip down.
That looks very cool! Nice setup. It should work great.

Reactions: Siv
Back