The rest of my pepper garden is doing good. Unfortunately, my stump peppers have been hitting several obstacles.
The stump plot itself just isn't making much headway. It's just too shady, and the pepper plants are having trouble getting big enough to shrug off the pests.
All those leaves and mulch that were so beneficial for starting the seedlings are now turning into a haven for pests and weeds.
For right now, I'm just going to let it go (other than trying to keep the weeds down to a low roar).
I got 17 transplants out of the stump plot, but those have been languishing. I switched potting soil brands (to Penningtons) right before I started transplanting stump peppers. The rest of my pepper crop did OK (using my first brand of potting soil), but just about everything I potted up in Penningtons is not growing at all. Most of my stump pepper transplants stayed exactly the same size as when I posted on May 10th.
I'm not sure it's the Penningtons, but as soon as I potted a few of these up into regular mulch, they started doing much better. Unfortunately, they are all so small, they're still really susceptible to pests.
I have a few that are doing pretty good:
One of these looks like some kind of annuum, and the other looks like a chinense. But I'll have to wait until they start putting out some pods to say for sure. They'd be much further along if I hadn't had so many problems with my potting soil this year.
I have two more that are just beginning to get up a head of steam.
This slow growth is totally uncharacteristic of the rest of the peppers I sowed from seed this year.
I just potted up the rest, but they are still almost the same size they were on May 10th. I didn't even bother getting picture of those.
All in all, things could be worse. The rest of my pepper crop is coming along fine. And I'm re-learning a valuable lesson about the importance of having a reliable potting soil solution.