Good morning!

Good morning.  I discovered this forum searching for conversion factors for peppers in various states.  I make beef jerky and many recipes include peppers -- ghost, habanero, and jalapenos mostly.  In the interest of simplifying my process, I would like to replace peppers with powdered peppers.  I have a bag of 500 dried ghost peppers which I plan to powder, weigh, and measure, but would LOVE to get this information from someone who has already done the heavy lifting.

Thanks!

Welcome to THP.

wizwor said:
Good morning.  I discovered this forum searching for conversion factors for peppers in various states.  I make beef jerky and many recipes include peppers -- ghost, habanero, and jalapenos mostly.  In the interest of simplifying my process, I would like to replace peppers with powdered peppers.  I have a bag of 500 dried ghost peppers which I plan to powder, weigh, and measure, but would LOVE to get this information from someone who has already done the heavy lifting.

Thanks!

If you're using 4oz fresh peppers in a jerky recipe the dried equivalent would be around 1/2 to 1 oz dried, depending on the pepper.  Note that dried peppers will not have the same exact taste as fresh, so the final product will be different (might taste better, you never know).

Here are some other threads you might like to read through detailing more info about fresh versus dried.  Hope this helps, and welcome to THP.  :)

VKMloVi.jpg

Thank you all for the warm welcome.  Special thanks to SmokenFire for the helpful links.  Special hello to The_NorthEast_ChileMan who is my neighbor.  I look forward to learning from and sharing with all of you.

SmokenFire said:

If you're using 4oz fresh peppers in a jerky recipe the dried equivalent would be around 1/2 to 1 oz dried, depending on the pepper.  Note that dried peppers will not have the same exact taste as fresh, so the final product will be different (might taste better, you never know).

Here are some other threads you might like to read through detailing more info about fresh versus dried.  Hope this helps, and welcome to THP.  :)

I ground up 547 Ghost peppers this morning.  Yield was 1/2 teaspoon of ground pepper per whole pepper.  

wizwor said:

I ground up 547 Ghost peppers this morning.  Yield was 1/2 teaspoon of ground pepper per whole pepper.  

Do you recall how many dried ghosts per ounce or gram that you ended up with?  547 dried ghosts = how many total ounces/grams?

SmokenFire said:

Do you recall how many dried ghosts per ounce or gram that you ended up with?  547 dried ghosts = how many total ounces/grams?

I recorded this as part of the study.  Total weight was 18.3 ounces (stems removed).  I did 100 peppers at a time with 47 in the last batch.  The first 100 was 3.3 oz.  I measured 15 tbs and 2.5 tsp or 47.5 tsp.  As there are 48 tsp per cup, I estimate 1/2 tsp per pepper.
  1. 15.8 tbs, 3.3 oz = 47.4 tsp or .474 tsp per pepper
  2. 17 tbs, 3.4 oz = 51 tsp or .510 tsp per pepper
  3. 17 tbs, 3.3 oz = 51 tsp or .510 tsp per pepper
  4. 15.5 tbs, 3.1 oz = 46.5 tsp or .465 tsp per pepper
  5. 17 tbs, 3.7 oz = 51 tsp or .510 tsp per pepper
  6. 8 tbs, 1.5 oz = 24 tsp or .480 tsp per pepper
That averages 0.4915 tsp per pepper which I simplify to 1/2 tsp per pepper.  When I make jerky, I substitute 1/2 tsp per pepper...

1 lb Round Eye cut 1/8th cross grain
1/3 Cup Soy Sauce
1/3 Cup Worcestershire
1 tbs Onion Powder’
1 tbs Garlic Powder
1 tsp Smoked Paprika
1 tbs Honey
2 Whole Ghost Peppers
1 tsp Ghost Pepper Powder

I just ground up 70 jalapenos which yielded 16 tbs of powder which weighed 3.9 oz.  Not a good study, but 48 tsp / 70 peppers = .656 tsp / pepper which I will estimate as 3/4 tsp per pepper.

Last night I marinated three pounds of eye of round using the recipe above and 1 tbs of the ghost pepper powder.  Tomorrow, we will see just how bad my science is ;-)

I tbs of ground ghost pepper causes a little sweat under the eyes, but no hiccups, so I am going to declare victory.

Back