• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Texas Scorpion

If you are local (Rockwall Texas area) and want a few seeds from my cross, let me know. This is a F2 this year and also might have crossed with my reapers also last year. A fast growing plant as the starters are already half the size of my 1 yr old plants inside. It is a cross between peach bhut and Trinidad scorpion. Lol and they not tame. I generally do not do mailings (but if you really want to grow this out I may reconsider), so if you want you have to pick up. (Limited supply).

This was the mother Peach Bhut plant. And pods from the cross in the next picture. The cross was twice the size plant and produced like mad.
Mother Peach Bhut.JPG

IMG_1057 (3).jpg

Ruid said:
F2 seems way too early to release a cross.
So I guess I should not offer free seeds for a cross I have made and not done the Ed C. with them or have trade marked them? LOL look at the pods from both plants. Either will set your mouth on fire. So I should wait 4 or 5 maybe 6 yrs giving or then selling seeds away?. Really this is not facebook and not trying to compete with anyone..have a nice day.

Ruid said:
F2 seems way too early to release a cross.

When is the appropriate time?

texas_pepper_man said:
This was the mother Peach Bhut plant. And pods from the cross in the next picture. The cross was twice the size plant and produced like mad.

Nice pods! If you plan on sharing some more of those seeds later this season, I'd be interested in trading with you.. I'm growing out a couple of Fatalii's unstable crosses this year (Carolina Reaper x Clavo Red) and (Duke Baccatum x PI 260567). It'll be interesting to see the array you have this grow with them.. How many are you growing out this season? I'll have to check out your glog.

I'll probably have 6 plants outside this year as I also have about 20 or so other varieties going outside too. When I get most outside I will start some more and these will stay inside til next year. I had about 7 reapers growing close or next to this cross last year, so its possible it got crossed again. If it didn't, it will this year on purpose by hand (on a few).

I picked up these 2 crosses from WHP this year as well.
reaper x peach scorpion.jpeg

scorpion x primo.jpeg

Conventional wisdom says that a cross ain't stable until f8. I think that distributing anything before f8 without disclosing where the cross is at in filial terms is a sketchy move, but so long as you're telling ppl what stage is at, so they know what they can expect (expect the unexpected!!), it is perfectly ethical to give seeds away. When ppl are /selling/ something before f8, I tend to squint a little... But, to be fair, I've purchased unstable early-gen seeds from WHP in the past and had plenty of fun, once I adjusted my expectations.

I think the primary motivation that a grower might not want to release his/her early-stage crosses would be to keep some control over the finished product. This is especially true once the grower has chosen a cutesy name for their cross. If these "Texas Scorpions" ever take off, ppl are going to be confused as to which divergent substrain they might be getting from whichever source. That is kinda what happened to Troy and h his early-stage Primos that he sent Ed which (apparently) became the Reaper...

In the end, this ought to be all about fun, and Texas_Pepper_Man send to have that nailed down. I try to get caught up in the fun aspect, but some of us get panicked about the inevitable confusion that ask this fun willing bring...

In closing, though, I just want to say that the cross is bitchin. I love pods that have that sideways wasp stinger. I've had a few plants that the pods like that; one was supposed to be a 7Brainstrain and the other was supposed to be a BOC but they were both obviously crosses, for reasons beyond the off-white pheno stingers. But they looked cool and I had fun growing/eating them...

What sort of color variations have you seen, what with one parent plant being red, and the other peach? Fwiw, I got those same JPGS x Primo seeds from WHP. All his pictures show red pods, but I'm curious to see if they produce any peach or other color pods anyway....

Bicycle808 said:
Conventional wisdom says that a cross ain't stable until f8. I think that distributing anything before f8 without disclosing where the cross is at in filial terms is a sketchy move, but so long as you're telling ppl what stage is at, so they know what they can expect (expect the unexpected!!), it is perfectly ethical to give seeds away. When ppl are /selling/ something before f8, I tend to squint a little... But, to be fair, I've purchased unstable early-gen seeds from WHP in the past and had plenty of fun, once I adjusted my expectations.

I think the primary motivation that a grower might not want to release his/her early-stage crosses would be to keep some control over the finished product. This is especially true once the grower has chosen a cutesy name for their cross. If these "Texas Scorpions" ever take off, ppl are going to be confused as to which divergent substrain they might be getting from whichever source. That is kinda what happened to Troy and h his early-stage Primos that he sent Ed which (apparently) became the Reaper...

In the end, this ought to be all about fun, and Texas_Pepper_Man send to have that nailed down. I try to get caught up in the fun aspect, but some of us get panicked about the inevitable confusion that ask this fun willing bring...

In closing, though, I just want to say that the cross is bitchin. I love pods that have that sideways wasp stinger. I've had a few plants that the pods like that; one was supposed to be a 7Brainstrain and the other was supposed to be a BOC but they were both obviously crosses, for reasons beyond the off-white pheno stingers. But they looked cool and I had fun growing/eating them...

What sort of color variations have you seen, what with one parent plant being red, and the other peach? Fwiw, I got those same JPGS x Primo seeds from WHP. All his pictures show red pods, but I'm curious to see if they produce any peach or other color pods anyway....

Got those seeds (JPGS x Primo)  started at little later than I like, so probably be late season. I will give you an update if I notice any color variance other than red. Currently have 4 plants going. As for controlling my cross, I doubt anyone who got those seeds from me has any idea of trying to regrow them, much less trying to market them. These people just buy at big box every year and could care less.

texas_pepper_man said:
Got those seeds (JPGS x Primo)  started at little later than I like, so probably be late season. I will give you an update if I notice any color variance other than red. Currently have 4 plants going. As for controlling my cross, I doubt anyone who got those seeds from me has any idea of trying to regrow them, much less trying to market them. These people just buy at big box every year and could care less.

My F2 plants already have buds on them and over a foot tall. These grow fast. The F1 last year got about 5 ft tall. I have already moved a few outside, but have to do it in phases with our crazy weather. March 13th is usually the average last freeze here, but this is Texas and you never know. Luckily the hail storm Monday stayed north of here. Some hail was 4.5in and did an estimated $400 Million in damage.

texas_pepper_man said:
My F2 plants already have buds on them and over a foot tall. These grow fast. The F1 last year got about 5 ft tall. I have already moved a few outside, but have to do it in phases with our crazy weather. March 13th is usually the average last freeze here, but this is Texas and you never know. Luckily the hail storm Monday stayed north of here. Some hail was 4.5in and did an estimated $400 Million in damage.
Yeah, it hailed so much in my friends house that it almost looked like snow.

Flowers already on my inside pants,, outside ones now dealing with low 40s for next few days..inside one at constant 74-75 Tuesday / Wedsneday start moving a few more out..got too many ready to go

That's awesome you got flowers already. I don't believe any of mine do, yet... But who knows what's lurking in the low, dense canopy of my grow room.

You got any pics??

Bicycle808 said:
That's awesome you got flowers already. I don't believe any of mine do, yet... But who knows what's lurking in the low, dense canopy of my grow room.

You got any pics??
one of the outside ones was loaded with pollen when I hit it with paintbrush on the flowers. And it looks like a few of them pollenated. Will try and get some pics shortly.

Back