•  

Photo

1st Growing Season Awesome, 2nd Growing Season Not Much Peppers But Long, 3rd... Help!!!!!!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 popeye304

popeye304

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:14 PM

My first growing season was awesome... not all peppers grew well but my favorite; Serrano and Jalapeno was plentiful. My second growing season, same raised bed, didn't produce a lot but it produced for a full year. This year, a new raised bed doing well, the old raised bed, losing a pepper everyday... right wear the stem meets the dirt. No signs of worms, other than earthworms. There were 5 or 6 when I checked this seasons dirt. 

I have two beds active the old one... not doing well, the new one looking strong.

I attached a photo. Does anyone have an idea? I am buying new wood... building a new raised bed and as of right now, I'm going to transfer the existing plants in the new raised bed. Suggestions?

Help!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• File_001.png

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 skullbiker

skullbiker

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:26 PM

My first growing season was awesome... not all peppers grew well but my favorite; Serrano and Jalapeno was plentiful. My second growing season, same raised bed, didn't produce a lot but it produced for a full year. This year, a new raised bed doing well, the old raised bed, losing a pepper everyday... right wear the stem meets the dirt. No signs of worms, other than earthworms. There were 5 or 6 when I checked this seasons dirt. 

I have two beds active the old one... not doing well, the new one looking strong.

I attached a photo. Does anyone have an idea? I am buying new wood... building a new raised bed and as of right now, I'm going to transfer the existing plants in the new raised bed. Suggestions?

Help!!!

Kinda looks like you have some type of pest munching on them. Maybe someone from near where you are would have some insight what it might be.

#3 DontPanic

DontPanic

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:11 PM

It's hard to tell from the picture, but one possibility is cut worms.

They'll chew on the stalk right a ground level to suck out the juices.

If all the stalks look gnawed on right at ground level, it would make it more likely it's cut worms.

#4 The_NorthEast_ChileMan

The_NorthEast_ChileMan

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  • aka:NECM

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:31 AM

It's hard to tell from the picture

Agree with this, not with cutworms. Cutworm damage tends to look like the stem was "snipped" cleanly like scissors did the cutting. 

If you look at OP's pic note the stem is dark green near the leaves turning purplish heading toward media then kind of opaque as it reaches the media. From top to bottom of the pix below, the opaque area is immature stem that can still grow roots (That's why we're often advised to plant leggy seedlings deeper.) (Edit: Just stumbled over this Leggy seedlings? Help and learned leggy = etiolated!) but as the purplish area takes over that's a hardening off to green but can be "progressive" leaving the opaque area which is vulnerable to damping off.

jEmYLwQ.jpg

vlZRpLR.jpg

MuAYccY.jpg

ase2Tmp.jpg

6PuPAR2.jpg

Hope this helps!
NECM

Edited by The_NorthEast_ChileMan, 16 March 2019 - 08:08 AM.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein 

#5 Masher

Masher

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 03:48 PM

My first thought looking at pic is wet soil and dampening off.

I've done it a few times, looks just like your pics.

Unfortunately the effected plants won't recover.

That's some great info and pics chiliman posted.

Edited by Masher, 16 March 2019 - 03:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests