• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Alaska fish fert

Sinn

Extreme Member
Any of you guys use this stuff indoors? Does it leave a bad smell? I have my plants in a grow tent figured I'd ask don't want to upset the wife [emoji38]
912d6b0c9963aa1d97b41a8d27c7b7a3.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Only thing you have to be careful with is the salt content. Be sure your plants can take it. There was an independent lab that measured the sodium and it was pretty high even though they tell you it is not. Some plants don't like salt.

Oh and sorry to answer your question, it is stinky yes, but only when using it. You won't smell it after you water and it soaks in. BUT if you have pets they may try to eat it. It smells like cat food.

The Hot Pepper said:
Only thing you have to be careful with is the salt content. Be sure your plants can take it. There was an independent lab that measured the sodium and it was pretty high even though they tell you it is not. Some plants don't like salt.

Oh and sorry to answer your question, it is stinky yes, but only when using it. You won't smell it after you water and it soaks in. BUT if you have pets they may try to eat it. It smells like cat food.
Crap I have a cat lol [emoji23]

I would not use it then. You may come home to gnawed plants and pots to get at all that stinky fish food.

The Hot Pepper said:
I would not use it then. You may come home to gnawed plants and pots to get at all that stinky fish food.
Yeah gonna skip it I used it outside last year seemed ok didn't know about the salt anything you would recommend over this one?

I'm not the best one to ask lol it's well known I am not great at growing, but I do keep some pretty good perennials. I do find good results with Peruvian Seabird Guano which is rich and ethically collected unlike bat guano. I buy it every spring.

https://amzn.to/2Y7aJMd

Oleic said:
Yeah, my dog tried and succeeded eating a bunch of my seedlings I had been fertilizing with the stuff.   Then I fenced them in, and he knocked down the fencing and crushed most of the rest. 

I do mostly hydro now...

I feel bad laughing at that, but... ouch. 
lol.gif
  :cry:

I bought a liquid fish fertilizer once and it does stink bad while mixing and pouring...I used it on my plants indoors that were in cups so I mixed it weaker then recommended....I used it out in my garden mixed at the proper ratio and watered all the plants in my outdoor garden......when I woke up my garden was a mess...... some thing  really went to town at night digging real close to the roots looking for fish,only messed up a few peppers but everything did live ,got the rake out and made things right......never used it again after that.

It only stinks when your mixing it like others said. You could try fox farm "big bloom" if your trying to go organic. Its a little pricey though.

Or try compost tea, its a little more involved.

I hate when it drips down the side of the bottle too. I was unaware of the salt content, I need to look into that. I plan on catching some fish and making my own to use on the outdoor plants

Well you live in Kansas so....... fresh water :D

You guys should seriously look into the Peruvian Seabird Guano. They are pellets that dissolve fast, I use an empty milk jug to make tea.

This stuff has a long history... check it out:

Guanos have been used for centuries as a fertilizer. The Andean people of South America have used guano as a fertilizer for more than 1,500 years. The Incas placed so much value on guano they restricted access to it under the penalty of death to anyone who disturbed the guano producing birds. Control over islands laden with seabird guano were the driving issue in the Chincha Islands War of 1864 to 1866 between Peru and Spain. Fortunately, Buried Treasure has made seabird and bat guano readily available by bag or bottle so you don’t have to go to war or extreme measures to get what you need for your garden.

The two main types of Guanos available on the market are, bat guano and seabird guano. Although these products may appear similar, there are also some substantive differences. Seabird guano tends to be high in nitrogen, phosphorus and calcium because of their high protein fish-based diet. Bats have two main food sources, fruit and insects. Fruit eating bats tend to produce high levels of phosphorus, while insect eating bats produce guano with higher nitrogen levels. Most guanos on the market have very different ranges when it comes to their NPK’s. This is due to several factors concerning the diets of these animals. Weather and seasonality have a huge effect on the NPK levels of guanos. As weather patterns and seasons change, bats and seabirds are forced to eat what is available to them. Because of this, the stability of measuring NPK’s becomes difficult. Some years guanos extracted from the same locations can have huge variances in their elemental makeup.

Another distinctly different guano are those that are void of (or contain low amounts of) nitrogen. These can be found in both bat and seabird guanos, and is generally due to the guano being aged or fossilized. The nitrogen is lost over time either through leaching and or volatilization. The fossilized guano has been processed over time by microbial action and pressure, essentially mineralizing it. 

Besides N-P-K, guanos contain various micronutrients and natural microbes that can be beneficial to increase quantity and diversity of soil life. Top dressing, blending Buried Treasure Guanos or watering in Buried Treasure Liquid Guano can help to activate these dormant microorganisms in a grower’s media.

Back