• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water What Ratio water h2o2 for foliage spray.

I've search around here and the net for a safe ratio to spray my plants that have some type of damage going on, but I see ratios from 8:1 down to 47:1. I'd like to keep it on the safe side but I also want it to be effective. Anybody have an opinion?
Thanks

What kind of H2O2? In my country usually you can find it as 3%, but also 8%, maybe others too. Depending on this, depends also the ratio (not that I know the ratio, but will help other users to know what kind of H2O2 you want to dilute).

rghm1u20 said:
What kind of H2O2? In my country usually you can find it as 3%, but also 8%, maybe others too. Depending on this, depends also the ratio (not that I know the ratio, but will help other users to know what kind of H2O2 you want to dilute).
Sorry, you're right, that would help.. I have 3% to work with. 

You can generally go up to fairly high concentrations as long as you keep the plants out of direct light until it dries.  Assuming you're starting with a 3% solution, you should definitely by fine at your high end of a 1:8 = 0.27% solution. I'd personally feel okay higher, up to 1:3 = 0.75%, provided I kept them out of the sun/light and I might rinse after it dries out of the light - they can burn in the sun/light.  I just this morning used 1:3 (0.75%) on a seedling with cotyledons that just opened and looked like they might have a little rot developing on them. I've done this once before with another highly-valued sprout and it did fine.  Hoping for the same this time.  I can't imagine getting any significant beneficial effect at the lower concentrations you've read about; also some pathogens are more adept at dealing with the oxidation than others, so higher concentrations may be needed for some situations compared to others.

I'd suggest doing maybe 1:9 = 0.30% for a first test application and if they're fine increasing somewhat from there.  I'd target 1:6 for good effect.  Personally, I'd probably feel comfortable spraying 1:6 the first application and going as high as 1:3 if it seemed necessary, but I'd hate to recommend that and see your results different than mine.  I use h2o2 quite a bit, but more on seeds and roots and much less often on foliage.

You bet Dan - good luck!

In case anyone's interested, the new seedling I put drops of 0.75% h2o2 on this morning did the same thing the previous one did.  The end 70% of so of the cotyledons that looked like they may have been suffering rot are now clearly dead and brown, but the remaining 30% of the cotyledons nearest the growth tip and the rest of the seedling look healthy and green.  I'm hoping what I did was catch the rot in time and stop it from progressing to the growth tip and killing it and that the browning isn't that I killed healthy tissue, but only the rotting tissue and whatever fungus might have been on it.  The last one ended up with some pretty stubby cotyledons, but the true leaves grew in well.

I might remove the effected leaves later today, I'm waiting for a 30x loupe so I can see whats going on close up. One thing that's confusing me is your % solution numbers and how you calculated them. If I say a ratio of 1:9, I'm talking 1 part h2o2 solution and 9 parts water, but I'm missing something that gets me a 0.30% anything. 

Thanks for your time I really appreciate it.

DanMcG said:
I might remove the effected leaves later today, I'm waiting for a 30x loop so I can see whats going on close up. One thing that's confusing me is your % solution numbers and how you calculated them. If I say a ratio of 1:9 I'm talking, 1 part h2o2 solution and 9 parts water, but I'm missing something that gets me a 0.30% anything. 

Thanks for your time I really appreciate it.

Sure thing,  Makes good sense to be careful and think it through before taking any action.  For the numbers, mix 1 part of 3% h2o2 with 9 parts water and the h2o2 is 1/10th of the new solution thus it has been diluted to 1/10th of its prior strength.  So divide 3% by 10 = 0.3%. 

Good luck with your reapers.  They're great looking plants but for whatever this issue is.

EDIT: plus with more than 1 plant you can always test a cure on 1 plant and see the reaction before treating all of them - or even on just a part of a plant.

CaneDog said:
I just this morning used 1:3 (0.75%) on a seedling with cotyledons that just opened and looked like they might have a little rot developing on them. I've done this once before with another highly-valued sprout and it did fine.  Hoping for the same this time.

CaneDog said:
You bet Dan - good luck!

In case anyone's interested, the new seedling I put drops of 0.75% h2o2 on this morning did the same thing the previous one did.  The end 70% of so of the cotyledons that looked like they may have been suffering rot are now clearly dead and brown, but the remaining 30% of the cotyledons nearest the growth tip and the rest of the seedling look healthy and green.  I'm hoping what I did was catch the rot in time and stop it from progressing to the growth tip and killing it and that the browning isn't that I killed healthy tissue, but only the rotting tissue and whatever fungus might have been on it.  The last one ended up with some pretty stubby cotyledons, but the true leaves grew in well.

Following up on my previous posts and at the risk of continuing to take Dan's thread off-topic (though I think this is somewhat related) here is a post-treatment picture of the seedling I treated for fungal rot.

Summary:  the seedling had only just sprouted and as the cotyledons were about to open it became apparent they were rotting. There were also the beginnings of rot elsewhere on the sprout.  This happened previously with a different seedling and I stopped the rot from progressing by dripping a 1 part 3% h2o2 to 3 parts water solution onto the seedling and it survived. I did the same this time with the same result.  The rotted portions of the cotyledons (I said 70% above but it was more like 80% - 85%) turned dead, dry, and brown, but the remaining tissue and growth tip survived just fine and the fungus isn't progressing.

For such a young seedling to deal with a 0.75% H2O2 solution and be just fine shows, I think, that the plants can deal with a fairly strong H2O2 solution as long as they're kept out of direct light.  I still suggest starting a fair amount weaker and seeing how the plant reacts, but H2O2 can help as a treatment for bacterial and fungal issues.

I cut away most of the dead brown cotyledons already, but you can see the remaining healthy sprout.  It may not look pretty, but in a week or two it will!
And it sure beats dead.

Cusco Rocoto
Cusco%20CotRot.jpg

Back