• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Hot sauce created to mimic spider venom

So I just stumbled across this.

https://brobible.com/culture/article/venom-hot-sauce-mimics-spider-bite/amp/

I'm a big hot sauce fan, I put it on just about everything. That being said, I like it to have flavor, not just heat. I'm not exactly sure how they would make a sauce that mimic a venom. It seems far more like a marketing ploy to me. If you look at the ingredients list, there is not specific hot pepper mentioned, all it says is red pepper.

Just thought this was interesting. Any thoughts? Has anyone tried it?

Hah, that's pretty cool.."Trinidad chevron" isn't all that uncommon in the tarantula-keeping hobby. It's brethren the "Venezuelan suntiger" was something I wanted for some time while keeping more bird spiders. Right now it is down to two whereas one has a mild temper and a worse venom than a Psalmopoeus sp., even if the Psalmos were always mentioned with some caution as far as bites were concered. Not like the asians nor the africans but relatively bad for an American (where the Americans in general have the mildest venom since they also possess urticating hairs to defend themselves with).

So parts of the venom are actually in it...

I thought it meant a localized burn similar to having been bitten.

SpeakPolish said:
Venom actually wont be dangerous to eat. Venom is designed to go in your bloodstream not your mouth. I would imagine it tastes bitter.

LOL! So when you drink beer the alcohol does not get into your bloodstream? I wonder what BAC means hmmm. And I wonder why people take pills. Weird.

SpeakPolish said:
Venom actually wont be dangerous to eat. Venom is designed to go in your bloodstream not your mouth. I would imagine it tastes bitter.

The Hot Pepper said:
LOL! So when you drink beer the alcohol does not get into your bloodstream? I wonder what BAC means hmmm. And I wonder why people take pills. Weird.

:rolleyes:

A Venom is a toxin & also poison

A Poison is a toxin but not Venom

But a toxin can be venom

also a toxin can be poison

Toxin ( biological definition ) - A toxin is a poisonous substance produced within living cells or organisms. Toxins can be small molecules, peptides, or proteins that are capable of causing IMMUNE REACTION

Poison - They are substances that cause disturbances to organisms, usually by chemical reaction or other activity on the molecular scale, when a sufficient quantity is absorbed by an organism

Venom - venoms are toxins that are injected by a bite or sting

Toxins are proteins that lead to immune reaction

Poisons are chemical substances ( not injected by biological vector ) i.e if poison is injected it becomes venom

Venoms are biological poisons

giphy.gif

I highly doubt these sauces contain any "venom"  

:think:  at what point does each person respond to capsaicinoid extracts as though they have become "poisoned" by definition ?

Poison: 

Substances that cause disturbances to organisms, usually by chemical reaction or other activity on the molecular scale, when a sufficient quantity is absorbed by an organism.

While capsaicin itself and likely; though not nearly as studied, the other capsaicinoids as well, won't cause death...

The very disturbance to organisms is why many of us choose to eat these peppers in the first place, we like that form of irritation, we find the burn appealing  :onfire:
but clearly most all of us recognize that peoples tolerance and appreciation of those heat levels varies quite a bit. 

it would seem to me that this is just another sauce hyping up the "reaction" people have to it's heat intensity 

:cheers: 

trainwreck.jpg

Boy did this thread go off the rails into a train wreck..... Story

INSPIRED BY NATURE, BROUGHT TO YOU BY SCIENCE

When Steve (founder and MD of Venomtech) met up with Stefano (MD of Macknade Fine Foods) an extraordinary synergy was born. Using their combined expertise, they created Steves Scientific Sauce. Here at this unique company, we are directing the science that powers Venomtechs leading products into the food industry.

Our Venom Chilli Sauce is a venom-inspired, hot chilli sauce for use in cooking, or as a condiment. We have produced it to our specific requirements, to mimic the venom action of the Trinidad chevron spider (Psalmopoeus cambridgei). 

Steves Scientific Sauce delivers the punch of venom and depth of flavour to make this delicious Venom Chilli Sauce.

Note there is no venom in the sauce.

Ingredients:
Cider vinegar, beetroot, red peppers, chillies, water, sugar, garlic, ginger, tamarind, herbs & seasonings,
salt, thickener (xantham gum).

venom

WHERE DOES THE VENOM SCIENCE COME IN?
Where natural selection is concerned causing pain is a good way to deter predators from trying to kill you. Several animals have evolved venoms that contain TRPV1 activators as a way of causing excessive pain for defence. The Trinidad chevron spider (Psalmopoeus cambridgei) is one such species.

When it was first discovered, this toxin was named Psalmotoxin, but is now properly called T-theraphotoxin-Pc1a, which is less catchy. Unlike capsaicin this toxin also activates bird TRPV1 channels as it binds to a different site. By mimicking the heat of chillies, the spider warns potential predators. This piece of venom science was the inspiration behind Steves Scientific Sauce.

Scientists Create Chilli Sauce That Mimics Venomous Spider Bite.

The experts reckon the burn and tingling sensation from 'Steve's Scientific Sauce' mimics the effect of being bitten by the Trinidad chevron spider

As always, YMMV.. (Edit broken links.)

Back