legal Better Process Control School?

Supposedly, for acidified foods, "Federal requirements state that operators of retorts, processing systems, aseptic processing and packaging systems, and container closure inspectors be under the operating supervision of someone who has successfully completed completed a course of instruction in these matters. Better Process Control School (BPCS) is a course that has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration as well as the United States Department of Agriculture for processors of acidified and low acid canned foods."

I haven't seen any mention of this course on THP.  Am I missing something here?  

Also, if this course really is necessary, then does anyone have an online course they can recommend?  University of Tennessee Knoxville offers a course at $400...

Thanks!
-phayanaga

BPCS is a requirement for commercial processors, depending on the sauce and what the process authority requires. Like FDA registrations, it is usually up to the PA to suggest or require these things based on each individual's situation and sauce recipes. While there are quite a few commercial sauce makers here on THP, the sticky posts are geared to hobby saucers.

$400 is not a bad price. Must put in the 40 hours and take a test.

Hope this helps.
SL

I just signed up for one. Seems sorta mandatory if you actually wanna do this beyond selling to friends and family. My class is this weekend. $420. I expect with this and other start up fees, I probalby won't see profit for a year....but I am super small and taking things slow. Good luck!

phayanagaflame said:
@newks How was your class? Good luck to you too!
hey! sorry for the late reply. I ended up canceling becauase I got double booked. I also realized that I could take it online for bit cheaper, at anytime i'd like, and not have to travel an hour out of town for 2 days.  I need to do this soon because people keep showing more interest in buying my sauce.

Just finished online course through Tennessee. (I was going to take the on-site class at Auburn in October but couldn't take the time off from work.)
It was a piece of cake. Just waiting for my certificate to come in the mail :)

Back