• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Recomendations for thin fleshed Chillis

Hey

Although possible too late now to probably to act on this till next year i was wondering if anyone could recomend thin fleshed chilli types that are 8cm+

Light to very hot is equally as good, but as i'm growing in London very hot peppers may struggle.

Thanks.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

Long or wide? I assume long as when we get to wide there's only a few C. annuum's I can think of.

long, but a bit of girth for stuffing blended fetta into would be ideal.

Thanks for the other sugestions, shall check them out. Although i can't find any info, let alone i imagine seeds for The Malih Hellow

hot banana peppers are thin skinned. they are also called Hungarian Wax peppers.   

the peppers on the right are banana peppers.

20180831_115847_resized.jpg

Plus 1 on the de Arboles. They are very easily dried, have a very unique flavor, but some ppl don't like it. I sure do like it, though. But it has a bit of a straw-like quality. De Arbol is what gives Cholula its distinctive flavor

two more that are thin walled are poblano/ancho and giant marconi but these have no heat. 

top to bottom. Giant Marconi, Poblano, Hot Banana and Jalapeno
20180704_195927_resized.jpg

Aleppo, both the red and yellow Monkey Face, and Paper Lantern Habanero.

If you can be a little flexible with the 8cm minimum, then Malih Helow and Pimenta Diomar are also very good.

For an extremely hot variety, you might consider the Dorset Naga. I understand that it was selected for productivity in the UK climate.

The Hot Pepper said:
Poblano are thick walled like a bell.
luvmesump3pp3rz said:
hmmm didn`t seem thick like a bell but i`m sure you are correct. my bad. 
Thick-walled, yes. Like a Bell, though? Naw. If Bells are a ten, and de Arboles are a one, most Poblanos are a seven point five, maybe an eight. To be sure, though, there's a good bit of variation. I've bought some at the market that are pretty thin..... but most aren't, and when I grew Ancho 101s they were on the thick side.... Small pods too.

Since it's already April, try to find some plant in your local nurseries, should not be hard at all.
In general many cayenne, thai (orange, red, dragon, ...) and indian peppers (like Pusa Jwala) will do and are usually available everywhere.
Also Goat's Weed if you can find it and like something a little out of the ordinary.
The local indian/asian community should be a great source for seeds for the next year.

Happy growing

Datil

Back