• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Bigcedar 2019

[SIZE=11pt]Hi everyone! It’s been quite a few years since I’ve posted and after lurking around for the last couple months all excited about growing peppers again I decided it was time for a THP reunion :party:[/SIZE]  I’m happy to see a small handful of familiar faces still around and I’m Iooking forward to getting to know the rest of you guys and gals!

[SIZE=11pt]Quite a bit has changed in the last 6 years. Life was pretty crazy for awhile. The best news I feel like is that we are now homeowners on 5 acres. Left the rental in the city for a home in the country :) We lived in a trailer for 7 months while it was being built. It was one heck of an experience my family and I will never forget that’s for sure![/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]It’s been a full year since we got in our house. We absolutely love our house, we love living out in the country. Life is good. I spent last year planting stuff that takes a few years to produce well, an orchard, berries of all kinds, meadow flowers, and countless perennial flowers and trees. I swear I dug 3,000 holes last year. So this year it’s back to the important things, like growing chile peppers! I have some pretty intense ADHD like behaviors when it comes to hobbies. I’ve been borderline obsessed with quite a few in my days. I go big or go home and then I eventually get bored.. I find a new interest to obsess over and move on from the last. Growing peppers is the only hobby I’ve ever had that I always end up crawling back to. So here I am, growing some damn superhots again. A few months late, impulsive, but screw it, I’m going for it. A good 2 acres of the property is in full sun from sunup, to sundown and that’s double the direct sunlight that I’ve ever had in past grows, I’m okay with a game of catch up! [/SIZE]

N7c4nC9.jpg

[SIZE=11pt]Alright here we go.. Let the glog begin![/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Well first off, during the big move I lost, or threw away my superhot seed collection... It was a good 300 variety + collection. I treated my house like I was the DEA and my seed collection was 50 kilos of Columbian snow. I looked in, under, over, and to the side of everything we own. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Man that was hard to swallow! No reason to dwell though, time to start over. I’ve been out of the game so long that I’d never heard of White Hot Peppers but they had some cool varieties that I’ve never seen and I read some good things here. I cannot say enough good things myself. Super fast shipping, quality seeds and tons of freebies I wanted to buy but restrained myself from! I felt like a little kid at Christmas time opening up that package. Thanks alot WHP![/SIZE]

qiNRlwL.jpg

[SIZE=11pt]Time to plant some seeds! I normally would have liked to have these in dirt by the end of February at the latest. Well that time has past, better late than never. Planted 4.10 My plan is to OW anything I feel is worth it, I think I have room for 40-60 overwinters, so even if I don’t get pods of these, I’ll be completely okay with a large plant that I can OW that will kill it next year. I did cheat a little bit as well and have some plants coming any day from cross country nurseries :shh:[/SIZE]  (just in case I lose this game of catch up! It's my pod insurance policy!!)

NGBGGeR.jpg

gzKILfV.jpg

Typical rainy April day in Western Washington!

wLfuUbo.jpg

[SIZE=11pt]Another issue, I sold all of my HOT5’s, MH’s, HPS’s, and seed heating mats back in the "holy shit we need more money!" moving days. Living out in the country has a way of teaching you how to jerry-rig so with that said...  How do I heat up these seeds without spending money.. Rubbermaid, old pots, old flats, a reptile heating mat, a baby chick heat lamp, lid, reptile thermostat and…. Walaa! [/SIZE]

muZumTw.jpg

af05Obe.jpg

Yep.... that'll work!

It's pretty ghetto I know and a lot different than using all the fancy equipment that I've gotten use to over the years but it'll do I think!

Should be seeing sprouts soon, CCN plants are coming in any day and I do have a few nursery bought plants I'm testing some new soil out with right now while using my aquarium plant LED light  :lol:

I have a bad habit of overfilling my time plate if you will, and back in 2016 I did just that. I thought it would be a great idea to grow again even with all of life's other things going on at the time. I embarked on my largest superhot grow to date after taking 3 years off.. Well, I barely had time to sleep that year, seriously.. But! I did accomplish my biggest and best grow yet! It was flawless from start to finish. I was pretty damn proud of it! All the while wishing I had time to post about it here on THP and that time was definitely not there. So, with that said I have to just share a few pics from that grow.. It was pretty nuts, I ended up having to move right as the major harvesting was going on and intense processing was about to start. I barely got to enjoy any of the peppers, lost most of it due to needing to find a new home and fast but that was totally okay, I had a ton of fun that year, I proved myself to myself that year. It was good!  :)

July 2016

XhexB8N.jpg

My daughter jumping so I could see where she was at  :lol:
August..

ZL8VJql.jpg

September..

R0OFx4U.jpg

and.. October.

H5j34hj.jpg

DU82xV0.jpg

XMUlyzU.jpg

:cool:

Well, it's good to be back! I gotta start meeting new chile people and checking out all these glogs! Til next time!
Brandon

Awesome start getting back in the game and I'll be watching with a bowl of popcorn how your plants are gonna thrive! 2 acres in full sunlight? You could probably start a business with all those pods!

Welcome back so to say and wishing you a kickass season! :)

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

BigCedar! Great to see you back! Looking forward to seeing the big grow in the new place. Wonderful that you guys got such a great place. The gang is still getting together at the state park, hope you guys can make it. PaulG has been growing some cool peps.
SL

lespaulde said:
Awesome start getting back in the game and I'll be watching with a bowl of popcorn how your plants are gonna thrive! 2 acres in full sunlight? You could probably start a business with all those pods!

Welcome back so to say and wishing you a kickass season! :)

Thank you! Haha! If I won the lottery and could quit my real job I think the business would be possible I'll keep you posted on how well that works out for me  :lol:  I will do my best to keep your bowl of popcorn warm ;) Thanks for the all the kind words, it's really good to be back!

juanitos said:
sick 2016 grow. maximized your space lol

look forward to see what you do with your acres!

Hey Juanitos! I sure did, maybe too much! I never got a good picture from back then but my daughter had a 6 X 2 runway to swing on while dodging super hots with each pass, it was pretty funny lol. I would catch my neighbor at the time getting in her car to head to work, looking over, and shaking her head as she drove away lol. She definitely thought I had a problem, I couldn't exactly argue with her! Thanks for stopping by man!

salsalady said:
BigCedar! Great to see you back! Looking forward to seeing the big grow in the new place. Wonderful that you guys got such a great place. The gang is still getting together at the state park, hope you guys can make it. PaulG has been growing some cool peps.
SL

Hi Ann! Great to see you still on here!! How are things? Are you still doing hot sauces and such? Speaking of! I wanna say a little over a year ago I tried to find your website and if I remember correctly I could only find the pure evil cap drops for sale.. Are you still making that ghost fire hot sauce? Man to this date I cannot find anything to take its place. Its been frustrating, that stuff was so damn good! Thanks for the kind words, it's really nice to have a permanent residence and a whole ton of privacy after living in a rental in the city for so many years! My family and I would love to get together this summer/fall at the chilefest count me in! PaulG growing some cool peppers? I wouldn't expect anything less out of that man! Great to hear from you Ann! 

Devv said:
A most excellent grow back in 2016!

Good luck this season!

Thank you very much! 

CaneDog said:
Who are you kidding Big Cedar?  You can't grow hot peppers like that in Western Washington!  ;)

Great pics from 2016.  Congrats on the new house in the country.  Looking forward to seeing what all you get up to with that sunny 2 acres!

Hey Canedog! Ha! I spent a few seasons early on learning everything I could to make that possible it's not an easy task for sure! I'm a little nervous with my start date, if I had my choice I'd have some big ol gallons begging for new home homes by this time to be guaranteed a good harvest around here. I have all my hopes riding on over amended super soil and all day sunlight, hoping that wins the race! Great to see another PNW grower around here, I gotta head over to your neck of the glogs and see how things are looking in Seattle! Thanks for the kind words and stopping by! 

^Sweet!^ ;)

Yes I am still making the sauces, and many more. They aren't online anymore, just locally and by special order. Thanks for asking.

Interestingly, I got a call 3 weeks ago out of the blue from Double DD Meats in mountlake terrace asking for Ghost Fire, so they have some if you are in that area. Last order to them was probably 10 years ago. Hope these sell a little faster...Lol.

Very, VERY nice! 2016 was a fabulous year! Too bad you weren't on here then! You coulda shown me a thing or three. lol. I hope your year is stellar and everything yields more than they should. Lol.

-Adam

Gonna do some sauces? They would be great with that honey!

My campbells soup propped up aquarium grow light in the family room just wasn't working out too well with the wife..

I walked in the house the other day to her giving me the ol "Are you gonna do something about that?"

I respond, "about...?"

"Oh I don't know.. Maybe the fact that there's a fish tank light on soup cans and pepper plants in our family room, maybe that thing?"

Truth be told it took her a couple weeks to say anything about it which was a feat in itself, I needed a plan B..

I responded like any good husband would with a "You got it hun!.." 

Little did she know that I had been secretly planning to take over our guest bedroom and convert the entire thing into a grow room, I decided to wait until she was at the park with my daughters friend yesterday.. it would give me 3 hours, enough time to get far enough along with the project that by the time she got home it would be too far undone for her to debate with me, I'd receive a few ass chewings, but in the end she would be okay with it, that was the plan anyway  :D

She left.. I got to work..
I was damn near done by the time she got home and surprisingly enough she came in... :scared:  took a look... gave me a look...  
I said "well, the windows cleared off like you asked  :P "
She responded with a "looks nice. Is this temporary?"
I responded with "Oh for sure! Just like a month tops..."

Not the right time to tell her that this was gonna be my OW room this year and I had plans to stuff 40-50 plants in there  :shh:  

That was quite the victory I'll say. Wasn't expecting that one bit! I think she probably knew I was gonna do some stupid shit like that the second I told her I was getting back into this and got back on THP.. This is not her first rodeo!

Alright picture time!

Well here was my first "grow area" I guess well call it

nLvEtpj.jpg

Just realized I haven't posted pictures of these plants yet so with that said... I have a Caribbean Red and a long thing cayenne, picked em out of one of the 4 pack veggie packs at my work 3 weeks ago. They were both pretty tiny when I got them, about an inch and a half wide and tall for the Caribbean and the Cayenne was about 3 inches tall. I used these plants to test out a new soil company that I can get at wholesale pricing. Would save a ton of cash that way so I'm very happy to say that the soil mixture I made with it will indeed work. The plants have about tripled since I brought them home, under a shitty aquarium light on a south facing window sill, at room temp (70 I'd say average) 

Caribbean Red

uDP9jgs.jpg

I don't understand what was wrong with having the soup set up I think its quite classy myself   :lol:

Total side note but I just got done reading Matt's glog recently so with that said..

Matt.........

This ones for you.

x3mlEFW.jpg

:rofl:   

Ok back to business!!!

So I cleaned out our shed the other night for the first time since we moved in, that was one helluva project, anyway I struck gold.... I thought for sure I sold all of my grow equipment. I found my old dusty 1000 watt MH fixture and a single seed heating mat. My Wife's major request when I took this hobby back on was that I wouldn't spend a fortune hence the ol jerry rig aquarium light, I was trying not to buy one again. Well that MH find was a game changer. That is precisely when I started secretly planning on what, where, and how I was gonna use this at our new house and get away with it. Then it dawned on me. This lights been in the wet damp shed for 2 years and before that our garage for another 5.. I gotta make sure it even turns on before I get too excited and BAM.

FnP149z.jpg

Fired right up! 

l45uW2o.jpg

Got the room cleaned out...

K50eWlh.jpg

and waaaala!

nGV5Z4c.jpg

Talk about putting the over in overkill, am I the first that has ever lit up 2 gallon sized plants with a 1000 watter? I feel like that's gotta be a first.

V5xwZYt.jpg

6RIKQZC.jpg

Good news is I finally got word on my CCN plants and they will be here tomorrow  :party:  help spread around some of these lumens. 

Alright speaking of my plant shipment I gotta go mix some soil.

Hope all is well with everyone! 
Thanks for stopping by

Brandon

BigCedar said:
My campbells soup propped up aquarium grow light in the family room just wasn't working out too well with the wife..

I walked in the house the other day to her giving me the ol "Are you gonna do something about that?"

I respond, "about...?"

"Oh I don't know.. Maybe the fact that there's a fish tank light on soup cans and pepper plants in our family room, maybe that thing?"

Truth be told it took her a couple weeks to say anything about it which was a feat in itself, I needed a plan B..

I responded like any good husband would with a "You got it hun!.." 

Little did she know that I had been secretly planning to take over our guest bedroom and convert the entire thing into a grow room, I decided to wait until she was at the park with my daughters friend yesterday.. it would give me 3 hours, enough time to get far enough along with the project that by the time she got home it would be too far undone for her to debate with me, I'd receive a few ass chewings, but in the end she would be okay with it, that was the plan anyway  :D

She left.. I got to work..
I was damn near done by the time she got home and surprisingly enough she came in... :scared:  took a look... gave me a look...  
I said "well, the windows cleared off like you asked  :P "
She responded with a "looks nice. Is this temporary?"
I responded with "Oh for sure! Just like a month tops..."

Not the right time to tell her that this was gonna be my OW room this year and I had plans to stuff 40-50 plants in there  :shh:  

That was quite the victory I'll say. Wasn't expecting that one bit! I think she probably knew I was gonna do some stupid shit like that the second I told her I was getting back into this and got back on THP.. This is not her first rodeo!

Alright picture time!

Well here was my first "grow area" I guess well call it

nLvEtpj.jpg

Just realized I haven't posted pictures of these plants yet so with that said... I have a Caribbean Red and a long thing cayenne, picked em out of one of the 4 pack veggie packs at my work 3 weeks ago. They were both pretty tiny when I got them, about an inch and a half wide and tall for the Caribbean and the Cayenne was about 3 inches tall. I used these plants to test out a new soil company that I can get at wholesale pricing. Would save a ton of cash that way so I'm very happy to say that the soil mixture I made with it will indeed work. The plants have about tripled since I brought them home, under a shitty aquarium light on a south facing window sill, at room temp (70 I'd say average) 

Caribbean Red

uDP9jgs.jpg

I don't understand what was wrong with having the soup set up I think its quite classy myself   :lol:

Total side note but I just got done reading Matt's glog recently so with that said..

Matt.........

This ones for you.

x3mlEFW.jpg

:rofl:   

Ok back to business!!!

So I cleaned out our shed the other night for the first time since we moved in, that was one helluva project, anyway I struck gold.... I thought for sure I sold all of my grow equipment. I found my old dusty 1000 watt MH fixture and a single seed heating mat. My Wife's major request when I took this hobby back on was that I wouldn't spend a fortune hence the ol jerry rig aquarium light, I was trying not to buy one again. Well that MH find was a game changer. That is precisely when I started secretly planning on what, where, and how I was gonna use this at our new house and get away with it. Then it dawned on me. This lights been in the wet damp shed for 2 years and before that our garage for another 5.. I gotta make sure it even turns on before I get too excited and BAM.

FnP149z.jpg

Fired right up! 

l45uW2o.jpg

Got the room cleaned out...

K50eWlh.jpg

and waaaala!

nGV5Z4c.jpg

Talk about putting the over in overkill, am I the first that has ever lit up 2 gallon sized plants with a 1000 watter? I feel like that's gotta be a first.

V5xwZYt.jpg

6RIKQZC.jpg

Good news is I finally got word on my CCN plants and they will be here tomorrow  :party:  help spread around some of these lumens. 

Alright speaking of my plant shipment I gotta go mix some soil.

Hope all is well with everyone! 
Thanks for stopping by

Brandon

LOL Cheers B!!

And dude..that 1k MH is ridiculously awesome, its a real good thing you have the guest room and I would suspect your gonna need it with that bad boy on

salsalady said:
^Sweet!^ ;)

Yes I am still making the sauces, and many more. They aren't online anymore, just locally and by special order. Thanks for asking.

Interestingly, I got a call 3 weeks ago out of the blue from Double DD Meats in mountlake terrace asking for Ghost Fire, so they have some if you are in that area. Last order to them was probably 10 years ago. Hope these sell a little faster...Lol.

That's good to know Ann, thank you! I'll have to send you a PM in regards to special ordering. I hope for some speedy sales on your end, I'd imagine the pure evil doesn't have that problem.  :fireball:

Bhuter said:
Very, VERY nice! 2016 was a fabulous year! Too bad you weren't on here then! You coulda shown me a thing or three. lol. I hope your year is stellar and everything yields more than they should. Lol.

-Adam

Gonna do some sauces? They would be great with that honey!

Thank you Adam! It would have been nice for sure, I wish alot went differently with that grow, especially the follow through when moving and such.. Now I just gotta outdo it! Thanks for the good words. You know what I have never tried making sauces, might need to try that out. I think my main goal is too beef up powder and seed collections again, I am pretty much all tapped out in both departments. Thanks for stopping by!

CDNmatt said:

LOL Cheers B!!

And dude..that 1k MH is ridiculously awesome, its a real good thing you have the guest room and I would suspect your gonna need it with that bad boy on

Glad you liked that Matt! lol. I was taking it down and thought oh heck no I gotta get a picture of the lighting and colors going on here   :lol:  Thank you sir! I'm working on some tweaking with the temperature in there today.. With the window half cracked on a 58 degree day it was a good 90 n sunny in there and I could be wrong but I think I heated my house up with the door shut a good 6 degrees  :shocked: won't be running that thing anytime during the warmer season that's for sure.

I got all of my amendments mixed up yesterday as well, it's a stinky job but hey somebody's gotta do it!

Kelp, Feather, High N Bat Guano, High P Bat Guano, Castings, Crustacean, Bone, Fish, Fishbone, Greensand, Alfalfa all went in the "dry rub"

OAlAZ4E.jpg

All mixed up and ready for dirt  :cool:

gpn8K59.jpg

I'm impressed with everything you're doing, and let me just say "hats off" to how you handle keeping your significant other happy; definitely something we all seem to have to manoeuvre around, and you seem to have it down to an art form! :) She's definitely a keeper, and I guess all the good ones know how much it means to us to have this hobby!

That light looks like serious business, that should definitely help kick start all your seedlings into proper trees sooner than later!

Super exciting about your other plants arriving soon, looking forward to seeing the pics on those and watching them develop!

I hear ya, about the wife not liking your grow setup, which your setup idea is awesome IMO. [emoji106]. My wife don’t like me to get my seeds started at home because my pots and planters aren’t pretty enough [emoji848] they don’t match the house decor. So I do all my seed starting at work [emoji16].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PtMD989 said:
I hear ya, about the wife not liking your grow setup, which your setup idea is awesome IMO. [emoji106]. My wife don’t like me to get my seeds started at home because my pots and planters aren’t pretty enough [emoji848] they don’t match the house decor. So I do all my seed starting at work [emoji16].

In another hobby forum I participate in (Home automation forums), we use a phrase "WAF", short for "Wife Acceptance Factor", I feel the same expression can be used here. 

BigCedar said:
I got all of my amendments mixed up yesterday as well, it's a stinky job but hey somebody's gotta do it!

Kelp, Feather, High N Bat Guano, High P Bat Guano, Castings, Crustacean, Bone, Fish, Fishbone, Greensand, Alfalfa all went in the "dry rub"

OAlAZ4E.jpg

All mixed up and ready for dirt  :cool:

gpn8K59.jpg

Brandon, your enthusiasm is fantastic ;)

Might I ask where you scored all those goodies? I live in the boonies and the good stuff is non existent.

As for WAF, what I did was get her involved and started growing more stuff she could use (and like), so she's fully invested now.

I'm looking forward to watching your grow this year!

Mildfruit said:

In another hobby forum I participate in (Home automation forums), we use a phrase "WAF", short for "Wife Acceptance Factor", I feel the same expression can be used here. 
Home automation, eh.
I kinda got that at my house, whenever I’m home my wife automatically tells me what to, what needs to be done, how it should be done [emoji16].
But she did get me a raised bed a few years ago, cause the 5 gal bucket garden, she didn’t like how it looked [emoji16]

Back