• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Southern California Pepper Pest Control Advice Please

Still a newbie at this.  Had a checkered season last year but am enthused about 2019.   40 plants now growing in my San Diego backyard, many varieties, mostly chosen for appearance -- red, yellow, orange, brown and long, short and stout.

My biggest question is when do I need to start becoming concerned about pests, especially the tomato hornworm?  I survived some huge infestations last year.  I had about 30 plants and one morning I picked off about 50 of the critters.  The dictionary says I should expect hornworms about 8 weeks after late spring, so that means late June.  But do any Southern California growers have any more practical advice?  Now that my peppers are planted, are there any treatments I can do to stop them from reaching the point where they are ravenously devouring my leaves?  I suppose I'm hoping there is a soil treatment I can do that will prevent the pulpal stage from happening.

Thanks for any advice!

I'm in southern California and I had success controlling them by putting a bird feeder by the garden. The birds eat them. Lady bugs will also feed on the eggs. You can also use a blacklight at night to find them.

This is the light I use. No brand on it. You can find them online for really cheap.

Attachments

• 20190417_115106.jpg
    20190417_115106.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 70
Edmick said:
I'm in southern California and I had success controlling them by putting a bird feeder by the garden. The birds eat them. Lady bugs will also feed on the eggs. You can also use a blacklight at night to find them.

Great advice!  I'll get the black light. 

Dumb question, is there a way to introduce ladybugs to the pepper plantings?  Is there a downside to doing this?

And as for the birds ... the hornworms are usually well camoflauged. By the time they are large enough to do damage, the birds still find them?  Or do the birds get them when there are still tiny?  Is there any downside to having the birds so close?

Finally, do I assume I can't both spray and use the birds?  Either one or the other?

I bought some bacillus thuringiensis that is apparently very effective against hornworms.  I bought it last year because I saw a lot of sphinx moths in spring.  But I don't think they were the sphinx moth species that produce tomato hornworms, because I didn't have any.  Anyway, maybe look into BT if hookworms are a problem for you.  And you can also buy ladybugs, shipped to  your door!

Oleic said:
I bought some bacillus thuringiensis that is apparently very effective against hornworms.  I bought it last year because I saw a lot of sphinx moths in spring.  But I don't think they were the sphinx moth species that produce tomato hornworms, because I didn't have any.  Anyway, maybe look into BT if hookworms are a problem for you.  And you can also buy ladybugs, shipped to  your door!

Great answer, this is the stuff I'm looking for!  But if you don't mind can you give me a few specifics?

For the BT, when did you begin applying it?  And did you apply it to the soil or just the plants?

For the ladybugs, how early did you get them and did you only use them once?  Again, I'm a newb so I need a few more details.  Any and all details would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Back