• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Indian hot sauce

Hi y'all,

So I'm new here, I decided I'd share a recipe that I thought up one day and made and bottled it up over a month ago now (and posted it to another site) -- but now that it's had time to mature/blend in the bottle, the flavour is so good (if I do say so myself) with a nice burn, but just such a nice depth of flavour.

I apologise for not providing exact measurements on some of them - as I was doing it to taste...and balance, but for most of the spices. I'd say start at 1 teaspoon a piece and blend them in, and adjust the blend to your own liking. All of these were sourced at a local Asian grocery store (I'm lucky it has so many herbs/spices and all so cheap).

As follows:

Indian Hot Sauce Ingredients:
  • Cumin, seeds, toasted then ground
  • Cardamom, pods, toasted then ground
  • Cloves, ground
  • Garam masala, powder
  • Turmeric, powder
  • Ginger, fresh grated & powder
  • 1 x brown onion, chopped
  • 1 x carrot, chopped
  • Garlic, half a head, crushed
  • Coriander, powder & fresh chopped
  • Nutmeg, powder
  • Fenugreek, powder
  • Saffron (optional, a tiny amount for flavour + colour)
  • 3 x blend of chillies (Carolina Reapers, Jalapenos, Dried Kashmiri), chopped (dried can be chopped if you wish, but doesn't make too much difference)
  • Vegetable oil
  • Ghee (or clarified butter, or just vegetable oil if you don't have these)
  • 1 cup distilled white vinegar
  • ½ cup apple cider vinegar
  • 3/4 to 1 & 1/3 cup(s) of water
Method:
  1. Hydrate the  Kashmiris by submerging in water for 5-10 minutes
  2. Toast cumin seeds along with cardamom pods until fragrant and colour has darkened a little (remove from heat/pan as it starts to smoke)
  3. Crush cumin, cardamom and cloves with a mortar and pestle
  4. Mix all the dried ingredients together, mix vegetable oil in with these to form a paste
  5. Add a tablespoon of ghee to a saucepan/fry pan over low-medium heat
  6. Add chopped onion and carrot to the pan when the ghee is melted and hot, cook 10+ mins until they are softened, but the onion isn’t quite translucent
  7. Add crushed garlic, cook for a further minute
  8. Add the spice paste mix and stir around to coat everything uniformly
  9. Add the Kashmiris + Reapers (note: I chopped and blended the jalapenos fresh)
  10. Add the vinegar + water and cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for as long as it takes to thicken slightly (mine took around 30 minutes), sauce should be extremely fragrant
  11. Allow the sauce to cool a little bit before blending it
  12. Once blended, strain it through a wire mesh sieve (feel free to keep the residual paste for the purpose of making a curry/spicy flavour bomb into a meal)
  13. Bottle it
  14. Enjoy!

Notes:
  • First off, I think the flavours are really good - and the combination of these three peppers both has the up front 'smack' of heat, but also a heat that gradually builds and lingers around for a good 10-15 minutes after. Thanks reapers! The taste of ginger and garlic add fiery freshness and additional potency. I think perhaps I'll tinker with changing the ratios of the vinegar to water, but I'm pretty happy with the vinegar tang against the rest of the flavours.
  • So I just made this up on the spot, a blend of the ground spices was really just me pouring in what I thought was the right balance for the spice blend (before it becoming a paste), also adding a carrot may not be necessary...it was mostly the spices that I wanted to get right, to evoke common Indian flavours.
  • If you want to simmer it longer, adjust the amount of vinegar and water you're adding in a similar ratio.
  • I did add some additional water into the blender after my initial strain, just to get a bit extra :)
  • I don't add sugar because I do like a vinegary tang, brown sugar might make a nice balance though
  • I usually fill 1 Frank's hot sauce small size bottle with the strained hot sauce liquid (first time I make the sauce, a sample size before I decide to make it again), and then keep all the chunkier stuff in a bigger bottle, to use as sauce bases for curries/chillies (adding either coconut cream, or heavy cream in curries, and beef stock in the case of chillies).
  • I'm still a newbie, so if you think there are any of the steps/processes that are flat out 'wrong' or could be improved, please let me know.
  • Now I have a nice sauce to cook something to put it on and enjoy it with a beer (or three). Cheers all! :)
Photos:

Photo # 1 = before vinegar/water is added in step 10.

Hot sauce being made & bottled - sauce on the right in the larger bottle is slightly thicker, but I also added some water for additional volume (didn't water it down to the point where it made it bland, I think it's nearly impossible with this sauce)

Back