• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dragon49's 2019 Grow Log

I started to sow a month ago and finally have something to show for it.  Here is the story before I get to the pictures:

Back in 2014, I got to enjoy the exquisite flavor and perfect heat of a Pimenta de Neyde x Bhut Jolokia - F6 Open Pollinated. I saved some seeds and grew it out the following year.  I only grew one plant, but it grew true and produced 220 pods in a 5 gallon bucket.  I had some pods tested and they came in at 158,400 SHU.   Excellent heat, but far from deadly and a perfect compliment to the sweetness.  I saved those seeds, but took a four-year break from growing from seeds.  The cool thing about that plant is that it grew literally right next to a Yellow 7 Pot and I'm welcoming a cross.  I labeled seeds from different pods with different batch numbers, so I can keep track of what grows true and what crosses.  

I neither have a lot of room to grow, nor resources to isolate, so I'm only growing one plant this year.  Worried about the viability of my four-old seeds (stored well, except for climate control) I initially tried to sprout 14 - 9 in soil and 5 with the wet paper towel method.  After nearly three weeks - almost nothing!  Some tails popped up, but I planted them prematurely and the baby roots shriveled up and died.  I took some forum advice and soaked these and some other seeds in a (1/9) hydrogen peroxide to water solution for twenty-four hours, before returning them to a wet paper towel.  I checked nine days later and only one had sprouted, but it was a big, healthy root:

R4QACgN.jpg

After the initial transplant:

DH4Dor1.jpg

I got excited this morning when I saw evidence of phototropism and knew the transplant took:

wGvveKv.jpg

The plant now:

SVWlyQ2.jpg

When I came home from work, I found this had finally popped out after sitting in soil for along time:

k9zDZTK.jpg

I'm giving this one away, but will post pics while it remains in my possession.

CaneDog said:
Good stuff Dragon!  Doesn't hurt to have a back-up. 

And yeah, I have one of those lights too. Right now it has the reflector off and the CFL is hanging down at the base of some plants to try to improve he growth of some low laterals. They're pretty handy.

I can get the plants going with just one of the lights, but I got everything started too late this season and need to encourage as much vegetative growth as I can, so I'm sacrificing my electric bill this month and throwing more lumens at them.  The CFLs are a good compromise.  More powerful LED systems generate too much heat for my comfort, as I'm away a lot and don't want to have to worry about air circulation and possible fire hazards.

Also, I know from experience that if I just hit them from the top (can't get too close to risk burning the leaves) they tend to get leggy.  I want to promote side leaf growth, (may prune a drop if given the opportunity) so am also hitting the stem and leaves lower on the sides.

I just realized that the two plants I'm growing are from seeds from the same pod, (#57 - if it is indeed a cross, maybe I'll name it "Heinz" :) ) so I can keep both and not have to worry about isolating.  

Decisions - Decisions - Decisions!

One or both of these is going outside for the season twenty-four days from now, so I need to grow them in a hurry.   I'm bombarding them with lumens.  Hard to get a complete picture of the setup, but I have six CFLs on the plants.  Five of them are 2,800 lumens and one of them is a smaller bulb - something like 1,300 lumens.

MWOLHgn.jpg

iitmm9W.jpg

gKapohQ.jpg

I need help from some of the experts here:

According to my labeling, both of these came from same pod (Pimenta de neyde x Bhut Jolokia F8) possibly (hopefully :)) crossed with a Yellow 7 pot that it grew right next to.

The problem is that the plants look nothing like each other!  I know it is early, but look the leaves.  I'm now worried that I may have mislabeled something.  What do you guys think?  Is it possible that this is indeed a (PDN x Bhut F8) x Yellow 7 cross and there is a lot of genetic variation in this new F1 batch?

1zUXjj4.jpg

k7Mc1Ln.jpg

Each seed within a pod is was pollinated by a different pollen cell for germination.  It is quite common that a given pod will contain both true and crossed seeds, because both true and crossed pollen cells reached different ova. This isn't a bad situation, because if they are different plants from the same pod that suggests one is crossed, which is a win for you!  And frankly, if you did pull a cross out of this situation you probably beat the odds, so congrats.

There should be no genetically-driven visible diversity among F1 products of parents that are each homozygotic as to the genetics that control visible traits, so variation suggests either a different father or the same father that was heterozygotic (perhaps the F6 was, but showed only dominant traits).  That said, there can be environmental diversity, such as darker coloration based on differing light intensity or response thereto or differing shaping of cotyledons based on other environmental factors, e.g., humidity.

Bottom line, I think you have 1 crossed and 1 true seedling, but that's not definite.  I'd grow both those guys out and see what you've got, keep what you like.

CaneDog said:
Each seed within a pod is was pollinated by a different pollen cell for germination.  It is quite common that a given pod will contain both true and crossed seeds, because both true and crossed pollen cells reached different ova. This isn't a bad situation, because if they are different plants from the same pod that suggests one is crossed, which is a win for you!  And frankly, if you did pull a cross out of this situation you probably beat the odds, so congrats.

There should be no genetically-driven visible diversity among F1 products of parents that are each homozygotic as to the genetics that control visible traits, so variation suggests either a different father or the same father that was heterozygotic (perhaps the F6 was, but showed only dominant traits).  That said, there can be environmental diversity, such as darker coloration based on differing light intensity or response thereto or differing shaping of cotyledons based on other environmental factors, e.g., humidity.

Bottom line, I think you have 1 crossed and 1 true seedling, but that's not definite.  I'd grow both those guys out and see what you've got, keep what you like.
Very informative!

Both plants were "brought up." differently.  The one with darker (purple) leaves sprouted directly in soil, while the other with the more traditional green leaves spent weeks in a wet paper towel, then in a 24 hour (1/9) Hydrogen Peroxide to water bath, then back in a wet paper towel, before sprouting around a week later.  Also, it is evident that my lighting setup isn't very scientific.  The plants are getting different intensity and different spectrum mixes (6,500 k and  5,000 k mostly - I may have one 2,700 k bulb in the mix) of lights from different angles.

I'm going to go through my Glog and pictures from 2015 to see if I can figure out which one is a cross, but I don't think I'm going to be able to come up with an answer.  The original "true" PDN x Bhut had a purple stem, but both of these share the trait.  

Not practical to grow both of them out at my primary family garden location, as I have no way to isolate and wouldn't want the cross (if one is indeed crossed) to then cross back with the true line and I would then have absolutely no way of knowing whether this occurred to produce any of the next generation pods.  So - I'll either give one away to somebody that I know will isolate it, or I'll grow one out at home.

Sawyer said:
Slowly, but surely...
At least one of these is going outside for the season in exactly twenty one days.  I should have time to get them ready, but I got things started so late this year and am getting worried.  I have to harden them off a little with some outdoor sun and wind time and need to make them stronger with a fan, but while they are still so little without true leaves, I'm doing nothing but watering and bombarding them with as many CFL lumens as I can "kludge" up.  

I'm a little out of practice as I haven't grown anything from seed since 2015, but think I got these sprouted just in time and should be enjoying a plentiful harvest beginning in mid to late august.

Back