• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Preserving tomato juice in 2-liter plastic bottles

As you may recall, a few months ago I was asking what might have caused a 2-liter bottle of tomato juice to violently explode. One of the ensuing conversations was about the safety of using Mt. Dew bottles to preserve the juice.

To refresh, I would bring the juice to a boil, pour it into the bottles and screw the cap on immediately. I have done this for years but after hearing from several posters about how this may not be safe, I was concerned.

Cold weather arrived yesterday and so today seemed like a great day to make a batch of chili. And of course, that meant using some of my juice.

It worked perfectly (at least so far). Because I tightened the lids as much as I could, they were not the easiest thing to open, at least compared to a normal bottle of pop. But I could hear the air hissing in so I knew nothing had invaded the bottles.

The juice tasted great - not like one would find at a store that has been watered down and tons of preservatives added, just pure tomato juice.

The advantages of doing it this way include the ability to save as few as two quarts at a time (I could go with pints if I wanted to use smaller bottles), no expense for lids or rings, no pressure canning or hot water baths involved, which cuts down on time tremendously.

I don't use this method for hot sauce - the woozies get a hot water bath, but for plain juice and ketchup it seems to be great.

Mike

wordwiz said:
As you may recall, a few months ago I was asking what might have caused a 2-liter bottle of tomato juice to violently explode. One of the ensuing conversations was about the safety of using Mt. Dew bottles to preserve the juice.

To refresh, I would bring the juice to a boil, pour it into the bottles and screw the cap on immediately. I have done this for years but after hearing from several posters about how this may not be safe, I was concerned.

Cold weather arrived yesterday and so today seemed like a great day to make a batch of chili. And of course, that meant using some of my juice.

It worked perfectly (at least so far). Because I tightened the lids as much as I could, they were not the easiest thing to open, at least compared to a normal bottle of pop. But I could hear the air hissing in so I knew nothing had invaded the bottles.

The juice tasted great - not like one would find at a store that has been watered down and tons of preservatives added, just pure tomato juice.

The advantages of doing it this way include the ability to save as few as two quarts at a time (I could go with pints if I wanted to use smaller bottles), no expense for lids or rings, no pressure canning or hot water baths involved, which cuts down on time tremendously.

I don't use this method for hot sauce - the woozies get a hot water bath, but for plain juice and ketchup it seems to be great.

Mike
Hiya Mike reading this first i thought you may have been mad on safety grounds alone,But speaking to a friend who is a tomato grower hes been doing it for some years without a hitch..So seems a nice easy way to preserve if you have cool area to store them in :(

From what I understand tomatoes are just on the border of being considered acidic (depending on variety of course) so generally a bit of lemon juice or is used for safe practice as well as proper sterilization of bottles/jars.

Back