• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bonnie plant thread! post your plants and success/failures

i thought about starting a glog but figured it would be boring for most members because its run of the mill peppers and not updated frequently. this thread may(or may not) see more activity.

this is my 3rd year buying Bonnie plant seedlings and the first two years they did great. i picked up 6 plants last weekend and early this week it got up in the mid 70`s so i planted them. 

Red Bell
20190425_172858_resized.jpg

jalapeno
20190425_172827_resized.jpg

habanero
20190423_180849_resized.jpg

mucho nacho
20190423_180845_resized.jpg

red ghost
20190423_180841_resized.jpg

dragon cayenne. this has 2 plants together that i did not separate.
20190423_180831_resized.jpg

i was bummed that they didn`t have any Cowhorn peppers at home depot, lowes or walmart who sell only Bonnie plants.
this past friday afternoon we got hit with hail and heavy rain but the plants survived it. 

this morning i went back and the store had gotten another shipment so i picked up a few more. Yes!! they had my Cowhorns. i like these because they have similar heat to jalapenos which means others can eat them besides me and they a very versatile. 

serrano. two plants together in the pot.
20190427_105515_resized.jpg

cowhorn
20190427_105525_resized.jpg

fresno
20190427_105544_resized.jpg

shishito
20190427_105556_resized.jpg

cowhorn
20190427_105605_resized.jpg

anyone else buy bonnie plants this year?

Sleeper67 said:
I didn’t get peppers but bought roma Tomato plants and kale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
my wife and i also picked up around 10 various tomato varieties along with cukes, buttercrunch lettuce and a bunch of different herbs. we grew kale last year from bonnie but it was a little bitter compared to what we were buying locally so this year we passed on the kale and got some swiss chard.  :cheers:

Bhuter said:
Very nice selection! I hope you get a pimply, blistered Red Ghost!
Mmm...shishitos...fried in bacon grease (or olive oil with real bacon bits thrown in) with yellow straight-neck squash and white button mushrooms.

Best of luck!!!
yes i`ve read good things about shishitos and i`m looking forward to eating them. 

Nice looking plants...never bought Bonnie Peps...those look very healthy.
We are not having much "planting out" weather here in NE..lots of rain almost every day& tonight low of 30's.
Hope to see a change come May....happy growing.

wiriwiri said:
Nice looking plants...never bought Bonnie Peps...those look very healthy.
We are not having much "planting out" weather here in NE..lots of rain almost every day& tonight low of 30's.
Hope to see a change come May....happy growing.

yes, weather is not so good. i jumped the gun when planting almost a week ago. its going down to 35 tonight so i think i will cover them :cheers: tonight. 

I looked at some Bonnies the other day but they looked poor so i passed. All i wanted was a couple Mucho Nacho and Mexican Tarragon. The Mucho Nacho looked like they got too cold. Didnt want to risk it atm since i got plants in every sill. I still got time and extra Zapotecs.

Them Bonnie Cowhorns are a tasty pepper. VERY prolific too. I got plenty off the plant i tried.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
I looked at some Bonnies the other day but they looked poor so i passed. All i wanted was a couple Mucho Nacho and Mexican Tarragon. The Mucho Nacho looked like they got too cold. Didnt want to risk it atm since i got plants in every sill. I still got time and extra Zapotecs.

Them Bonnie Cowhorns are a tasty pepper. VERY prolific too. I got plenty off the plant i tried.
yeah cowhorns are great.big, lots of them and they taste great. i pickle rings, eat raw in salads, eat them grilled, dry them and make crushed red pepper flake and powder. very versatile. i grew one plant for the last two years and decided to get two plants this year.  :cheers:

That’s a big selection of peppers[emoji106]. Around here we have 3 stores that carry Bonnie plants and all 3 carry the same , small selection , not much variety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strolled through the garden center at the local Walmart this afternoon while Mrs. Dangler was shopping.  Looked like quite a nice selection of Bonnie plants.  Probably a dozen selections of peppers including Ghost Red and some nice looking Habs.  Also, at least a dozen varieties of tomatoes.  All of the plants looked healthy.  Mrs. Dangler purchased a few herbs (I didn't look to see which ones).   :rolleyes:

And how many pepper plants did you purchase?  Hmmmmmmmm? 
Harry_Dangler said:
Strolled through the garden center at the local Walmart this afternoon while Mrs. Dangler was shopping.  Looked like quite a nice selection of Bonnie plants.  Probably a dozen selections of peppers including Ghost Red and some nice looking Habs.  Also, at least a dozen varieties of tomatoes.  All of the plants looked healthy.  Mrs. Dangler purchased a few herbs (I didn't look to see which ones).   :rolleyes:

luvmesump3pp3rz said:
yeah cowhorns are great.big, lots of them and they taste great. i pickle rings, eat raw in salads, eat them grilled, dry them and make crushed red pepper flake and powder. very versatile. i grew one plant for the last two years and decided to get two plants this year.  :cheers:

Yep its versatile. It can probably even replace some kinds of hot Anaheims. I liked them better than Lumbre but Lumbre did produce more. The skin was way more tender and flesh was thicker. Still plenty thin enough to dry well. Might even work as a "gochu" for a spicy kimchi if sun dried first. Ive used them green in place of green Korean peppers....Seemed to work just fine.

IIRC i got far less end rot (soft spots) than i got from both gochu and Anaheims. Pretty sure it was virtually none. I would be growing them this year but went with 2 kinds of hot wax instead.

luvmesump3pp3rz said:
yes i`ve read good things about shishitos and i`m looking forward to eating them. 
Shishitos are awesome.  Get a nice cast iron pan, and put it in the oven under the broiler until it heats up.  Take your shishitos (tossed in a little bit of olive oil and salt) and pour them into the pan in a single/double layer, and put the pan right underneath the broiler.  Give it a few minutes until the peppers are blistered and a little bit blackened, flip them around a bit to get the other sides cooked as well, and then eat!  You want to pre-heat the pan in the oven for a while because the goal is to cook them very hot, very fast, so that they blister.

I like to use the bigger Maldon sea salt flakes for that, big crunchy salt is good.  You can dip them in anything too and they taste great.  

Orekoc said:
And how many pepper plants did you purchase?  Hmmmmmmmm? 

Zero.  I have 325 pepper plants in the basement waiting for plant out.  I had absolutely zero temptation.   :rolleyes:

Back