• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

bottling Hot Fill Hold with Alcoholic sauce?

I'm in the process working out how to bottle a new hotsauce I've been working on for a few months now. I'm making 30 bottles of sauce with a a decent alcohol content. I was planning on dissolving some powders as well as some rosemary extract in a bottle of high proof alcohol that I have, and including this mixture in my hotsauce. I was thinking approximately 1/10 the hotsauce's volume would be this alcohol mix, both for its propensity as a solvent for my powders and for it's antibacterial properties.

Now, I realized my woozy bottles are perfect candidates for the Hot Fill Hold method. They even have the white liners. The issue is that it is suggested to hot fill at 200+F, but ethanol boils and evaporates at 178F. I don't want my alcohol to boil off. I've thought of maybe filling each bottle with a premeasured amount of alcohol before hot filling the bottles to help reduce the time in which the alcohol can escape. Any thoughts?

Are you wanting to keep the alcohol content for it's inebriating qualities? 

Once the herbs/etc are dissolved in the alcohol, then mixed with the other sauce ingredients, I would think the flavor would be in the sauce, so even if some alcohol dissipates, the flavor is still there. 
People have been dissolving powders in water/vinegar for eons just fine.  Kind of sounds like reinventing the wheel.  One main point with powders is to make sure they are a very finely ground powder and they blend in just fine.  I would guess the rosemary extract is already alcohol based, so it should also mix in just fine.

Interesting idea~

salsalady said:
Are you wanting to keep the alcohol content for it's inebriating qualities? 

Once the herbs/etc are dissolved in the alcohol, then mixed with the other sauce ingredients, I would think the flavor would be in the sauce, so even if some alcohol dissipates, the flavor is still there. 
People have been dissolving powders in water/vinegar for eons just fine.  Kind of sounds like reinventing the wheel.  One main point with powders is to make sure they are a very finely ground powder and they blend in just fine.  I would guess the rosemary extract is already alcohol based, so it should also mix in just fine.

Interesting idea~

The alcohol is two fold in that some compounds I'm using are mostly insoluable in water and vinegar, or hydrophobic. Also, I've picked alcohol for it's antibacterial properties. With consideration to shelflife, it's really my goal to make something that can last nearly forever. It's for that reason I want to keep some of that preservitave alcohol in the mix. I've done lots of research on how to achieve this, with a low enough ph and with plenty of antioxidants to stave off free radical formation (hence the rosemary extract). I'm taking a bit of inspiration from another alcoholic sauce I had that shows no signs of spoilage while open at room temp for weeks. I think my best bet may be to add the 200°f sauce to the bottle, then pipet the alcohol in, and quickly seal the lid. I'll keep you guya updated on how it goes, and keep an eye out for other suggestions.

Interesting and I'll keep an eye out for updates. If you are looking at anything commercial, I'd suggest starting a conversation with a PA early in the process.

There may be some benefit to looking at the equipment. Maybe a kettle like a brewing pot that has a lid and spigot at the bottom would minimize evaporation.

Back