• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Windchicken's 2019 NOT a glog...

The last few years that I've started a glog I have failed to maintain the thing, and I end up feeling bad about it. But I do want to share with y'all this short video of my plants in the shade tent last Saturday (April 27), just before we put them in the beds. There are 69 Capsicum chinense plants and 116 Capsicum annuum plants:

[media]https://youtu.be/KTZyMddOPes[/media]

Gary, it just isn't THP without ya! Glad to see that avatar on a '19 notaglog...I gotta have my pc remember that word...

One ambitious group you got stickin' out of the dirt. I wish I had your Big Jims!! I can't even find starts at the stores till after May 15...

I know we had talked about maybe hooking up at the chile farm this Spring, I hate to say it may have to wait...

I'm not even gonna say good luck, your great season looks to be well on track...

stettoman said:
Gary, it just isn't THP without ya! Glad to see that avatar on a '19 notaglog...I gotta have my pc remember that word...

One ambitious group you got stickin' out of the dirt. I wish I had your Big Jims!! I can't even find starts at the stores till after May 15...

I know we had talked about maybe hooking up at the chile farm this Spring, I hate to say it may have to wait...

I'm not even gonna say good luck, your great season looks to be well on track...

It's so good to hear from ya Eric, and thanks so much for the kind words! My only concern about the success of the big DeSoto Parish garden this year is damage from the feral hogs and/or the new German Shepard/Catahoula Cur puppies we have here at the company yard. My old hog fence is looking pretty weak, but I have the supplies we need to finish building the new heavy-duty fence we started a couple summers ago...

Man, I wish I had started more Big Jims...To my mind it's the most versatile of all the New Mexico varieties, with its insanely good green flesh production, excellent flavor in both the green and red stages, and a heat level that most "lightweights" can handle, but also satisfies most hard-core chile heads, especially when used in the mass quantities that we put into our green and red sauces...

I'm pretty sure our NW Louisiana chile squad will make it to either Hatch or Pueblo or both in the late summer or fall...I'm feeling a Holy Pilgrimage in definitely in order this year! It would be great to see you, my friend!

Datil said:
Nice to see you back Gary :P
Plants look stellar as always my friend!
All the best to you and your family for another great season!

F

Fabrizio, how are you doing???!!! It's so good to hear from you!!! How is the family? Are you growing this year?

All the same to you and yours! I think about y'all from time to time, and wonder how y'all are doing...

We are good here...My garden helpers are all growing up now, driving their own cars, and living busy lives as young adults, but they still find time to help their old Pawpaw in the garden...

Gary

DownRiver said:
Hey WC! Good to see you back on THP. Been gone quite a while myself.

Hope you have a great grow this season!

Wow, Rick!!! Yeah, it's definitely been a while! I think you were probably the very first guy I shared seeds with on THP, WAY back in the day! 

It's really good to hear from you again, after all this time! I'm looking forward to watching the progress of your garden this year...Much luck and blessings to you and yours!

Gary

Devv said:
Good to see you're still out there Gary!

Good luck this season ;)

Hey Scott!!! Wow, I feel like I just walked into a reunion of dear old friends!!! How's it been going down there? I always admired your garden, and I always envied your sweet shade canopy!!! I bought several really big sheets of 30% Aluminet cloth a couple years ago, but I never got around to building the canopy...

Good luck with your grow my friend!

Gary

windchicken said:

It's so good to hear from ya Eric, and thanks so much for the kind words! My only concern about the success of the big DeSoto Parish garden this year is damage from the feral hogs and/or the new German Shepard/Catahoula Cur puppies we have here at the company yard. My old hog fence is looking pretty weak, but I have the supplies we need to finish building the new heavy-duty fence we started a couple summers ago... On the pigs, I know a professional hog wrangler out in Abilene, you just say the word...

Man, I wish I had started more Big Jims...To my mind it's the most versatile of all the New Mexico varieties, with its insanely good green flesh production, excellent flavor in both the green and red stages, and a heat level that most "lightweights" can handle, but also satisfies most hard-core chile heads, especially when used in the mass quantities that we put into our green and red sauces... Absolutely true!! I must have sown 50+ seeds, my own AND some from Tradewinds Fruit, and got nuthin'. It's the pepper I started growing 15 years ago, long before I found this site. I have a pic of a friend standing next to one of my 8 foot Anaheims the first year I got them to come out of the ground, I just gotta figure out which old hard drive I hid it on...

I'm pretty sure our NW Louisiana chile squad will make it to either Hatch or Pueblo or both in the late summer or fall...I'm feeling a Holy Pilgrimage in definitely in order this year! It would be great to see you, my friend!

Keep in touch with me, Gary. I'm going to try to schedule a visit to friends in Wyoming somewhere between July 15 and the end of August. If you go to Pueblo I'll make the drive down!!

windchicken said:

Fabrizio, how are you doing???!!! It's so good to hear from you!!! How is the family? Are you growing this year?

All the same to you and yours! I think about y'all from time to time, and wonder how y'all are doing...

We are good here...My garden helpers are all growing up now, driving their own cars, and living busy lives as young adults, but they still find time to help their old Pawpaw in the garden...

Gary

Nice to hear you're doing well Gary!
I think of you as well, sometimes i dream about a trip down there LOL would be fun.
We're fine as well, my son is in school now and we're pretty busy as usual.
I'm keeping my grow on a manageable size and i've sowed a few tasty varieties, especially bhuts (see my profile).
The weather is crazy this spring with a lot of wind and rain showers, at the start of this week the lows were about 40F which is very odd for May here!
All my plants are still in cups in a portable greenhouse (some late starts still indoor) but i plan to put something in the dirt / pots this weekend.
I'm so lazy to take pics but maybe i'll send you a couple shots :)

Be well!

F

Datil said:

Nice to hear you're doing well Gary!
I think of you as well, sometimes i dream about a trip down there LOL would be fun.
We're fine as well, my son is in school now and we're pretty busy as usual.
I'm keeping my grow on a manageable size and i've sowed a few tasty varieties, especially bhuts (see my profile).
The weather is crazy this spring with a lot of wind and rain showers, at the start of this week the lows were about 40F which is very odd for May here!
All my plants are still in cups in a portable greenhouse (some late starts still indoor) but i plan to put something in the dirt / pots this weekend.
I'm so lazy to take pics but maybe i'll send you a couple shots :)

Be well!

F

I'm glad to hear you and yours are well, my friend! I can't believe your boy is in school already!!! My head is spinning now!!!

Yikes! 40ºF is way too cold for May! Hopefully that was your last cold snap...

I'm looking forward to those photos! Are you still growing the Karpathos Market pepper? I've always wanted to grow that one again....

bpiela said:
Plants look great!  I assume there are some Bonda Mahala's in there as well.

Thanks Ben! And thanks so much for asking about Bonda Mahala! Are you growing that one? I'm uploading a quick video of my F8 Mahala plants right now...Should be up in just a few minutes...

Back