25 replies to this topic

#21 dragonsfire

dragonsfire

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,533 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 03:28 PM

Sugar is what kills the heat, so fruit etc.. I have always found the sauce gets hotter after aging it a bit as it permeates the sauce.

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#22 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 48,570 posts
  • aka:Pookie, Satan Claus
  • (x3)

Posted 09 May 2019 - 04:23 PM

Sugar does not kill heat. A pineapple reaper sauce, a reaper sauce, both are hot! The reason this myth gets passed around it, if your mouth is burning and you eat granulated sugar and rub your tongue on the roof of your mouth, there is a surfactant effect and the granules with absorb some of the cap, and when you swallow, it disappears faster. Honey can work too but the granules work better because you can scrub. Even salt will work, but it won't taste as good as sugar doing it. IN a sauce the sugars are already dissolved and the sauce is "one," so there is no surfactant effect. But still this gets passed around, that sugar and fruit kill capsaicin. Not true.

Removing cap from your tongue has nothing to do with those ingredients "killing" heat in a sauce.

#23 mitchNC

mitchNC

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:17 PM

From the realm of WTF.
Everyone in my family tasted that latest batch including me, and the heat level was lava.

My son texted me from Louisiana and said the challengers said great flavor, not hot.

What? I took out my bottle and tasted it. A drop, then Teaspoon, then tablespoon.

Not hot. At all. I'm talking 1,000 Scoville.

This throws in a wrench for me if what I bottle isn't what the end user gets.

I'm very confused and my research into this hasn't revealed anything.

#24 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 48,570 posts
  • aka:Pookie, Satan Claus
  • (x3)

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:22 PM

jalaliens_meme.png

#25 salsalady

salsalady

On Fire!

• Extreme Biz
  • 14,621 posts
  • aka:SL, HSL
  • (x8)

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:09 PM

Sugar does not kill heat. A pineapple reaper sauce, a reaper sauce, both are hot! The reason this myth gets passed around it, if your mouth is burning and you eat granulated sugar and rub your tongue on the roof of your mouth, there is a surfactant effect and the granules with absorb some of the cap, and when you swallow, it disappears faster. Honey can work too but the granules work better because you can scrub. Even salt will work, but it won't taste as good as sugar doing it. IN a sauce the sugars are already dissolved and the sauce is "one," so there is no surfactant effect. But still this gets passed around, that sugar and fruit kill capsaicin. Not true.

Removing cap from your tongue has nothing to do with those ingredients "killing" heat in a sauce.

Beg to differ, Boss.  The whole Scoville Heat scale was based on sugar water dilutions.  While the rubbing of sugar crystals in the mouth may expedite the lessening of the heat sensation, anything with natural sugars will also help.  Apples, carrots, whip cream....

From personal experience, I absolutely say that products with sugar taste less hot than products without.  At hot sauce festivals, when sampling Pure Evil Capsaicin Drops, I put 5 drops of PE in a 12 oz bottle of catsup and 5 drops in a 12 oz bottle of soy sauce.  The soy sauce generally gets a heat rating (from customers) of about 4/10 while the catsup containing sugar gets a heat rating of 3/10.

This doesn't help the OP with where the heat is going in his sauce.  

I'd suggest making sure the bottle is securely capped so nothing leaks out.  It's kind of like those stray electrons that can leak out of a wire if the insulation gets nicked.

(edit: just kidding about that stray electrons thing~~~ ;) )

Edited by salsalady, 23 May 2019 - 11:15 PM.

PureEvilProducts
The Chile Addict's prayer-"Lord, grant me the wisdom to know it will be too hot, the courage to eat it anyway, and the serenity to accept the pain that follows. Amen"
PepperPeopleRock! 

#26 mitchNC

mitchNC

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:53 AM

This is the only sauce I've made that has tomato, and the only sauce that ever lost heat.

This is interesting:
https://foodal.com/k...-down-the-heat/

Edited by mitchNC, 24 May 2019 - 06:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests