• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

heat Where did the heat go?

My son asked me to make something really hot.  I made this recipe the other day, but I also added a Reaper.

Ghost pepper sauce

I tasted it before I bottled it and it was ridiculous.  One drop had me in pain.
I took it to a get-together last night and people that tasted said it was good, but not very hot.

I tasted it and they were right.  It's no hotter than Tobasco.

How? 6 ghosts and a reaper and it's not hot?  I was eating it by the spoonful last night (it's yummy).

mitchNC said:
My son asked me to make something really hot.  I made this recipe the other day, but I also added a Reaper.

Ghost pepper sauce

I tasted it before I bottled it and it was ridiculous.  One drop had me in pain.
I took it to a get-together last night and people that tasted said it was good, but not very hot.

I tasted it and they were right.  It's no hotter than Tobasco.

How? 6 ghosts and a reaper and it's not hot?  I was eating it by the spoonful last night (it's yummy).

Evaporated? Lol.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

So you tasted it, it was hot, then you bottled. Did you add anything after you tasted? 

Come on man!
This isn't a thing?

I'm telling you, it was wicked hot and then it wasn't.

I'm trying to get consistent recipes to hopefully sell locally. I can't do that when something goes from a million Scoville to 5000.

All jokes aside Mitch I have no idea why the sauce did not retain its heat.  That many supers in that small a batch should be lighting you up.  

Cooking peppers does indeed lower heat values a little, and I suppose if you cooked it hot enough for long enough you could evaporate some percentage of the heat - but 6 ghosts plus a reaper with 2 tomatoes, an onion and some vinegar should still be ridiculously hot after an overnight rest.

Side note: For future sauce making I would omit any/all oils in your sauces as it can go rancid.  

But it still does not answer the question of where the heat went after bottling. If I read it right, you tasted it just before bottling.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Wrapping up the saga...

The batch I made yielded 2 1/2 5-oz bottles.
The half-bottle is the one I've been eating on everything, and it was refrigerated the whole time.

I just remembered your point about oil and went to move the other 2 bottles from the pantry to the fridge.
I decided to taste them first.

When I opened them they had been fermenting, so they hissed and foamed.
I tasted them and they are HOT AS HELL.  I'm still in pain as I type this.  One drop.  My wife is also in agony.  LOL.

So...did refrigeration alter the sauce?  I don't know, but I doubt it. I have many bottles of other sauces in the fridge that are still hot.
  I'll give those other 2 bottles a few days and try them again.

You don't want to be tasting homemade sauces with oil left out at room temp that fermented! Man that is playing with fire, pun intended. #botulism 

okay so the stuff that had been cold the whole time was tame - if I am reading that right?

the stuff at room temp was en fuego yeah?  makes sense.  any food will not 'taste' it's full 'taste-ness' at cold temps.

the sauce at room temp had been fermenting for 5 days - long enough to be safe if the original recipe had enough salt - but as is I agree about flushing it to be sure.

perhaps the same recipe repeated with more salt is fine after ferment, but then again you told your wife that you didn't want the original mash in your house so.,...

:)

What? Hot sauce is not hotter at room temp. Heat is not a flavor. I guess ymmv. He is claiming it went from scorching to nothing. You are saying take that one out of the fridge and it becomes a scorcher? That would be a first for me.

Back