11 replies to this topic

#1 dragon49

dragon49

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 10:45 PM

I'd like to grow one plant in a five gallon Home Depot paint bucket.  The problem is that I go away too often in the summer and may not always find somebody to water if needed.  What are some recommended  (I'll consider all options, but don't want the throw a lot of money at this) self watering systems that I can hook up?

#2 Wermland

Wermland

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 11:36 PM

Have you looked at auto pot?

#3 CaneDog

CaneDog

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 11:58 PM

Have you tried googling "self watering 5 gallon bucket?"  There's a lot of info out there on building a DIY 5g bucket self-watering system.  I totally understand wanting to hear from someone who's done it before - and hopefully someone will chime in - but you might find some good ideas just trying that.  If I'd ever built one myself I'd share my thoughts, but...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Current glog:  Hirsute Pursuit – Rocotos, Wilds & Moar  - http://thehotpepper....tos-wilds-moar/

#4 lespaulde

lespaulde

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 01:39 AM

Bit off-topic I know, but seeing this a lot in different grows, I've always wondered about these paint buckets whether they are food safe; i.e. has their plastic been approved for being in contact with edible products or could they be leaking polymers?

On-topic: I second the autopot suggestion, being a happy user myself, but otherwise a simple float valve system should do the job, with each nutrient bucket having a valve and being connected to a main supply tank. CaneDog's suggestion should be a very good starting point

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

#5 alkhall

alkhall

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 06:37 AM

Drip irrigation on a timer.

I'm your truth, telling lies, I'm your reasoned alibis-Ulrich/Hetfield

#6 Chorizo857_62J

Chorizo857_62J

Hot

• Extreme
  • 850 posts
  • aka:Fatknuckle

Posted 04 May 2019 - 04:37 PM

I have found several DIY vids here and on YouTube, going through the steps of assembly of the 5-gal self-watering setup.  They do work great while you are out for a week or so, but they still need to be replenished.  During wetter months, I found I had over-watering issues due to summer monsoon rainstorms.  Your mileage may vary.  I have also found some more aesthetic 7-gal. self-watering pots at HD recently, which seem to be working OK.  My wife hasn't noticed or complained as much as she has with the freaky orange bucket thing on the other side of the house.  (Please don't tip her off...).  Hide in plain sight.

#7 Hawkins

Hawkins

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:53 PM

U would get a pressure regulator maybe 5psi, a timer and just zip tie the hose to it, and set it to run for 1 minute every few days. You can get this set up for less than $20.

Edited by Hawkins, 04 May 2019 - 10:54 PM.

#8 Crazy Monkey

Crazy Monkey

Hot

• Extreme
  • 746 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:51 PM

Howzabout Kratky or DWC?

#9 Siv

Siv

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 04:55 PM

Before going crazy with peppers, I had the same worry with my curry leaf plant so I bought the following:

https://www.amazon.c...duct/B004INGS8S

https://www.amazon.c...duct/B01H6ZN0NU

For <$50 you have a timer and all the fixings to manage a whole lot of containers. I started with just one and now have three of these timers around the house. Just set it to go off at 5am for an hour every 2-3 days and you're all set.

If you're gonna be gone for no more than a week or your weather doesn't get really hot then you can probably get away with one of these watering spikes:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C7D83MK

They're a cheap single plant solution but get expensive and annoying when you have 20 plants!

#10 CraftyFox

CraftyFox

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 03:06 PM

If you want something cheap, bucket-in-bucket wick systems work pretty well. Here's a great video on using a reservoir with a homemade float valve and button drippers.. Easily adaptable to your needs. 
https://www.youtube....h?v=rUi4N3Tv-1U

#11 dragon49

dragon49

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 05:39 PM

Ty 4 all the advice, but I won't be needing the system until at least next season.

#12 Chorizo857_62J

Chorizo857_62J

Hot

• Extreme
  • 850 posts
  • aka:Fatknuckle

Posted 08 June 2019 - 05:04 PM

Lots of variations out there, so you have the luxury of time to plan.  Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests