• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Need info on this brand so I can make a copy of the same mix.

Hello all. I wanted someone who has any experience using this mix called proline c/b growing mix or proline custom growing mix. The mix does very well. Just some information, I live in Greensboro NC,so if that helps with knowing what my climate is like. Unless someone has a recipe that's even better. Trying to save money. Here's the picture on the back of the bag! Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20190504_160902366.jpg
    IMG_20190504_160902366.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20190504_154830605.jpg
    IMG_20190504_154830605.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20190504_154810895_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190504_154810895_HDR.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20190504_154749696.jpg
    IMG_20190504_154749696.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 116
It says on the bag that it's peat moss, pine bark, vermiculite and perlite

You probably want around 5-20% aeration by volume. That gives you the amount of vermiculite and perlite. I personally use the lava rocks for BBQs. Peat moss was 50% so that leaves 45-30% 1 inch pine bark mulch

Typically what I do is put in some cheap potting mix, put the new plant on top of this so that it's at the right height. Then add in some lava rocks around it, will in some composted sheep or cow manure, add a few more rocks then top off with regular cheap compost. I'll leave a big gap at the top and then add in at least an inch of thicker pine bark

After watering it in and waiting a few days I'll add in some worms and they will do the mixing and aeration for me. Mixing everything yourself is boring and messy, and the worms do a good enough job even if they eventually die out confined to a pot

Adding leaf litter / more wood chips will keep it fertilised forever as long as you have worms in there alive.

Powelly said:
It says on the bag that it's peat moss, pine bark, vermiculite and perlite

You probably want around 5-20% aeration by volume. That gives you the amount of vermiculite and perlite. I personally use the lava rocks for BBQs. Peat moss was 50% so that leaves 45-30% 1 inch pine bark mulch

Typically what I do is put in some cheap potting mix, put the new plant on top of this so that it's at the right height. Then add in some lava rocks around it, will in some composted sheep or cow manure, add a few more rocks then top off with regular cheap compost. I'll leave a big gap at the top and then add in at least an inch of thicker pine bark

After watering it in and waiting a few days I'll add in some worms and they will do the mixing and aeration for me. Mixing everything yourself is boring and messy, and the worms do a good enough job even if they eventually die out confined to a pot

Adding leaf litter / more wood chips will keep it fertilised forever as long as you have worms in there alive.
With the red bag it seems it has more peat moss compared to the c/b but with also larger pieces of pine bark. So it's 50-60/65% peat moss then 40% pine bark and rest perlite and vermiculite? Not sure if I should add some compost or not.Im talking about the red bag and not the c/b mix. The c/b mix looks to be about half peat moss and pine bark fines.

Codeman said:
With the red bag it seems it has more peat moss compared to the c/b but with also larger pieces of pine bark. So it's 50-60/65% peat moss then 40% pine bark and rest perlite and vermiculite? Not sure if I should add some compost or not.Im talking about the red bag and not the c/b mix. The c/b mix looks to be about half peat moss and pine bark fines.

It will compost down on it's own naturally provided the container size is sufficient

Powelly said:

It will compost down on it's own naturally provided the container size is sufficient
Ok when I add this amount of peat moss,do I need to add some lime to counter the acidity? With the way you plant you don't really mix anything but use the rocks and pine bark to weigh the plant in place?

Cut ProMix all purpose with 40% aged pine bark fines. If they sell the Jolly Gardener brand their Soil Conditioner is just aged pine bark. The ProMix all purpose is pretty cheap. About $11-14 for a 2cuft bale.
https://jollygardener.com/just_natural_soil_conditioner.htm

If you want something similar and ready to use, ProMix BRK but its very pricey.
https://www.pthorticulture.com/en/products/pro-mix-brk-biofungicide-plus-mycorrhizae/#tab:product-specification

• 50% Canadian sphagnum peat moss.
  • 40% processed bark.
  • 10% perlite.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
<p>Cut ProMix all purpose with 40% aged pine bark fines. If they sell the Jolly Gardener brand their Soil Conditioner is just aged pine bark. The ProMix all purpose is pretty cheap. About $11-14 for a 2cuft bale.https://jollygardener.com/just_natural_soil_conditioner.htm If you want something similar and ready to use, ProMix BRK but its very pricey.https://www.pthorticulture.com/en/products/pro-mix-brk-biofungicide-plus-mycorrhizae/#tab:product-specification 
  • 50% Canadian sphagnum peat moss.
  • 40% processed bark.
  • 10% perlite.
Yeah we don't have promix over here. What about some vermiculite? That soil conditioner are they 1 inch pine bark?

This place is listed as having Pro Mix. Lowes and Home Depot normally carry the All Purpose which is cheaper.
https://fifthseasongardening.com/stores/greensboro

I dont get that brand of pine fines but mine is smaller than an inch. Timberline sells it also as "Soil Conditioner". I get mine at a local composting place mixed with rice hulls. The stuff is cheap.

I dont use vermiculite ever.

What i get looks like this
Df4EVFa.jpg

PeogRZ3.jpg

rYpJ5eS.jpg

ShowMeDaSauce said:
This place is listed as having Pro Mix. Lowes and Home Depot normally carry the All Purpose which is cheaper.
https://fifthseasongardening.com/stores/greensboro

I dont get that brand of pine fines but mine is smaller than an inch. Timberline sells it also as "Soil Conditioner". I get mine at a local composting place mixed with rice hulls. The stuff is cheap.

I dont use vermiculite ever.

What i get looks like this
Df4EVFa.jpg

PeogRZ3.jpg

rYpJ5eS.jpg
Ok so I guess I don't really need vermiculite then. Where would I get rice hulls from? Also the timberline. Is that the mulch in the purple bag? Also how much of the pine bark,perlite and rice hulls do I need to mix the all purpose with?

Codeman said:
do I need to add some lime to counter the acidity?

In general, pepper plants like it slightly acidic.

I wouldn't add lime to a potting mix for pepper plants unless I knew I had a special problem, such as overly acidic well water, or something like that.

DontPanic said:

Thank you. What are the ingredients in the promix all purpose?
I wouldn't add lime to a potting mix for pepper plants unless I knew I had a special problem, such as overly acidic well water, or something like that.

DontPanic said:

Trying to quote and reply but I'm on my phone LMAO. Anyways I was wondering if you knew what was in that promix all purpose mix?
Ah ok. I was wondering if you knew what is in that promix all purpose?

I use malted barley for brewing beer instead of rice hulls. It's a bit more expensive but they have lots of enzymes in them that are great for conditioning the soil

Powelly said:
I use malted barley for brewing beer instead of rice hulls. It's a bit more expensive but they have lots of enzymes in them that are great for conditioning the soil
so is the malted barley like a powder and dissolve?

Codeman said:
Oh so they act like perlite or rice hulls. How much percentage do I need to add?

As mentioned earlier you will want 5-20% total aeration by volume. If you live in a dry climate, you obviously need less as you can control the amount of water it receives exactly. If you get a lot of rain or live in an area with flash storms that dump a load of rain in a short period of time, obviously the aeration should be at the higher end

Unfortunately most of this sort of information is only available on cannabis growing websites. They try loads of really weird stuff that regular gardeners don't so it's worth while checking these sites as well. Using sprouted seeds as aeration is definitely one of the good things to come out of there that you don't see on regular garden sites

Malted barley is just barley that has been sprouted and dried. Super common item at brew shops and its cheap. The sprouting creates sugars and enzymes that some bacteria will love. Just call a brew shop and ask for the least expensive malted barley. They might have rice hulls too. A pound is a couple bucks but way cheaper for horticulture grade.

I live in High Point, and you can buy leaf mulch, wood chips, and "engineered soil" from the city recycling facility on Ingleside.  Greensboro may have something similar, but I've never investigated, since this one is less than a mile from my house.

Back