• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Looking for some input...

So, I'm ready to make my first sauce.  Ferment has been sitting for four months!

I used Jalapenos, Red Pepper, Cherry Bombs, Habaneros, Aloha Bell Peppers, Shallots, Garlic, and Carrots...  Looking to add fruit when I blend.  I'm thinking either Pineapple, Blueberries, Mango, or...  A combo of these?  Also, have no idea on how much fruit to add?

Any input / advice would kick ass!  Thanks, and cheers!  

Attachments

• IMG_20190112_125042_320.jpg
    IMG_20190112_125042_320.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 76
Welcome to thp from the Methow valley!

Do you have a current picture of the ferment?

With the ingredients listed, you could go a couple directions with the fruit. Fruit combos are great, just think of flavors that naturally go together and also fruits that will go with the color of the sauce. Keep in mind that sweet fruits will cut the heat.

I dont like a strong fermented flavor, but sometimes I dont want to cut the heat. So I'll add the same ingredients that were in the initial ferment as fresh ingredients. That keeps the basic flavor profile of the sauce but not as strong of a fermented flavor.

For adding fruit, I'd suggest adding 25-50% of the volume of the ferment in fruit, depending on how much you want to cut the heat.

Have fun, post pics!
Salsalady

salsalady said:
Welcome to thp from the Methow valley!

Do you have a current picture of the ferment?

With the ingredients listed, you could go a couple directions with the fruit. Fruit combos are great, just think of flavors that naturally go together and also fruits that will go with the color of the sauce. Keep in mind that sweet fruits will cut the heat.

I dont like a strong fermented flavor, but sometimes I dont want to cut the heat. So I'll add the same ingredients that were in the initial ferment as fresh ingredients. That keeps the basic flavor profile of the sauce but not as strong of a fermented flavor.

For adding fruit, I'd suggest adding 25-50% of the volume of the ferment in fruit, depending on how much you want to cut the heat.

Have fun, post pics!
Salsalady

Thanks so much for the advice!

Back