• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Things that make ya go hmm

Two things related to growing that really make me go hmm...

1. People who fill their pots 3/4 full of medium. Seriously? What is the reason for this? I could sort of understand it if cloches were in use, but 99% of you who do this thing do not own cloches. Fill your pot to the top, damnit.

2. People who do hardening off in the sunlight. Seriously? What is the reason for this? I get a two day rainy weather forecast and that's it - all my plants go out and they don't come back in. The amount of lumens even during a rainy day is more than about ten thousand metal halide lamps.

How about you? What makes you go hmm?

podz said:
Two things related to growing that really make me go hmm...

1. People who fill their pots 3/4 full of medium. Seriously? What is the reason for this? I could sort of understand it if cloches were in use, but 99% of you who do this thing do not own cloches. Fill your pot to the top, damnit.

2. People who do hardening off in the sunlight. Seriously? What is the reason for this? I get a two day rainy weather forecast and that's it - all my plants go out and they don't come back in. The amount of lumens even during a rainy day is more than about ten thousand metal halide lamps.

How about you? What makes you go hmm?
Thing that makes me go hmm..

1. Other people going hmmm.. About my growing style

J/k

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

you mean me? :onfire:  j/k :lol:

20190504_180630_resized.jpg

i leave mine a couple inches low because after they start to get taller i add a little compost on top along with Alaska fertilizer pellets and finally a little mulch to prevent weeds. its worked well for me so far. 

Thing that makes me go hmmm...(this is probably "thing 1." of a series of many more "things" to come. Lol)....

.....I'll probably catch hell for this....

.....some growers have different concoctions or recipes or methods of germinating seeds. I understand an H2O2 bath to prevent any molds and/or fungi from forming. But to accelerate the gestation period of something pre-determined??? I don't know. Maybe it DOES exist. ‍♂️ Admittedly, I would buy that product...the one that can induce sprouting.

With that said: If somebody HAS created something like that, or if you/they have a tried and true concoction/recipe/method, I'm all ears.

Thanks!
:cheers:

EDIT: Oh, and the "not filling your pots all the way", I always fill my 4" pots flush, but they pack down over time and look short of soil. ‍♂️ That's just me.

I filled my buckets to the top, but didn't think about it compressing down after watering and settling. I was disappointed. But I guess it does make it easier to just dump watering and not have to worry about it going off the sides.

The "paper towel" method is a new one on me. I will use a plastic bag to check germination of beans and corn, but don't actually plant those. I'm still not sure why it's used over just planting in soil or another medium.

Bhuter said:
.....some growers have different concoctions or recipes or methods of germinating seeds. I understand an H2O2 bath to prevent any molds and/or fungi from forming. But to accelerate the gestation period of something pre-determined??? I don't know. Maybe it DOES exist. ‍♂️ Admittedly, I would buy that product...the one that can induce sprouting.

It's called sulphuric acid and it's in semi-widespread use in the horticulture industry, especially for rose and rocoto seeds.

podz said:

It's called sulphuric acid and it's in semi-widespread use in the horticulture industry, especially for rose and rocoto seeds.
I believe Sulphuric Acid is used in seed starting just to get the seeds to germinate, not speed it up. IIRC, both Rose seeds and Rocoto seeds have hard, thick shells. I know Rocotos do, anyway. It helps the seed absorb water by creating cracks in the seed shell.

yes i see what you mean. i try to give my plants as much "real estate" as i can and mostly use 5 gallon buckets. i have used smaller ones in the past with great success, as small as 1 gallon. it needs to be watered more frequently in the heat of summer. the more potting soil available to the plant the better. Fill those pots up!!!

This on-off spring is making me go hmmm. I'm almost glad I don't have a house and garden because I wouldn't have time for it anyway. (Almost glad...the thought of waking up and stepping outside and only smelling moss and grass and hearing just the wind in the trees is very appealing but one does what one can with what one has)

I guess everyone has a different approach.  I will sometimes start younger plants and not fill the container to the top, because I know it will establish roots and when on the verge of root-boundness, I will pull it out, refill the pot with fresh soil, and re-pot it.  This has been very effective in my case, without arbitrarily buying larger and larger pots.  The plants thrive in my setting.  Sometimes, I will trim back roots and branches to give them a little more room, but ultimately a 5 or 7 gallon pot is where we land in a season.  I do a lot of transplanting and maintenance, but that's half the fun.  As always, your mileage may, and will, vary.  Just have fun with it.

It depends on the plant. Some stretch more than others and leaving room in the pots allows me to train them down easier and then fill up the container based on the type of plant. Short squat phenos, you know will not have much stretch but others will take off no matter what type of light or intensity you put them under. If it is a first time run with a plant, I always leave room to allow for potential stretch. Only downside to this is when you do get those short squat phenotypes and you then need to wait for them to finally grow out of the pot so you can then backfill the pot.

Back