• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Did I F up?

I planted about half of my plants yesterday, and I'm stoked about it... Or I was. Until I realized that overnight temps are dipping to 46°F tonight and possibly as low as 44°F tomorrow night.

Are my young plants doomed?

Bicycle808 said:
I planted about half of my plants yesterday, and I'm stoked about it... Or I was. Until I realized that overnight temps are dipping to 46°F tonight and possibly as low as 44°F tomorrow night.

[emoji15][emoji51][emoji15][emoji51][emoji15][emoji51]
This happened to me and I was told that its ok if temperatures stay above 40 and day temperatures are good. My plants survived.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks. That's what I was figuring, but this is a very anxiety-laced part of the season for me..

NJ sucks. It's too cold to plant out safely for soooo long, then all of a sudden it's like full-blown summer and newly planted chileplants suffer in the sun...

Bicycle808 said:

[emoji15][emoji51][emoji15][emoji51][emoji15][emoji51]
I've had like 12 plants outside for like 2 weeks now it's been raining or gray most days but they've been fine I lost 1 plant so far hopefully it warms up soon and this damn rain stops

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Bicycle808 said:
Thanks. That's what I was figuring, but this is a very anxiety-laced part of the season for me..

NJ sucks. It's too cold to plant out safely for soooo long, then all of a sudden it's like full-blown summer and newly planted chileplants suffer in the sun...

Works the same way here.

I have had to start moving stuff out of my grow room now as things have grown way tooo fast. Cloches will be my friend now.

I'm really glad I started early-ish this year, as my plants are light years ahead right now but yeah, space becomes an issue pretty quick. And I think since of these things were pretty rootbound. I'm putting like 150 or so plants in this year, so I have like 90 to go, plus a bunch in cups that I'm giving away too friends/family... And I still got beds to build!!

Bit off more than I can chew but I'll be in better shape next year, when I've got my infrastructure set up better and(hopefully) can streamline my growlist a little...

We're all experiencing these growing pains most all weather related here on the East Coast.
I haven't put my plants in the ground as I wait till ~Memorial Day ..give or take a few days..
Rain by 3pm today & more nite time temps in the low 40's..for most of this week.
I see Western Mass. had snow yesterday in some parts..
snowce005.jpg

Nothin' to do but wait...as of now, Friday onward looks a lot better temp/sun-wise.

Say a :pray:.... ..it will be betta..'cause it can't get worse  .. ;)

wiriwiri said:
We're all experiencing these growing pains most all weather related here on the East Coast.
I haven't put my plants in the ground as I wait till ~Memorial Day ..give or take a few days..
Rain by 3pm today & more nite time temps in the low 40's..for most of this week.
I see Western Mass. had snow yesterday in some parts..
snowce005.jpg

Nothin' to do but wait...as of now, Friday onward looks a lot better temp/sun-wise.

Say a :pray:.... ..it will be betta..'cause it can't get worse  .. ;)

I'm trying to tell myself that, so long as it Durant snow or freeze, they'll survive, and hopefully take off once the weather improves permanently.

But, one thing I've learned in life is, things most often get better... They can ALWAYS get worse.... I mean, it could drop to 30° tonight, right? (But it probably won't)

I checked on all my outside plants before work this morning... Both at home and at the community garden. They all seen to be OK, for sure. But they'd be doing much better if it were warmer and if it hadn't been raining for two straight days, with no break...

Bicycle808 said:
I'm really glad I started early-ish this year, as my plants are light years ahead right now but yeah, space becomes an issue pretty quick. And I think since of these things were pretty rootbound. I'm putting like 150 or so plants in this year, so I have like 90 to go, plus a bunch in cups that I'm giving away too friends/family... And I still got beds to build!!

Bit off more than I can chew but I'll be in better shape next year, when I've got my infrastructure set up better and(hopefully) can streamline my growlist a little...

A gardener is nothing more than a dreamer. Dreamers are the folks who give hope to this civilization. Our success encourages them also beyond their own wildest dreams. We plant the seeds of hope, which encourages the dreams of wild bounties and also sows the fear of failure. Hopes, dreams and fears encompass the full cycle of the human psyche.

wiriwiri said:
They'll be fine there in the Garden State..no worries..you're ~ 5*F warmer than us..7 days ahead for us:
7day.png
Oh shit!!!

Yeah, I'm worried over here, but I AM better off than many others. Plus I am planning on planting 48 more chiles, mostly SuperHots and some Baccatums, tomorrow....I guess I'm bravely blundering on, ever deeper into the pepper vortex.

... And helping my buddy Dave get his chile plants in the ground, tomorrow, too... If it's dry enough around 430p

podz said:

A gardener is nothing more than a dreamer. Dreamers are the folks who give hope to this civilization. Our success encourages them also beyond their own wildest dreams. We plant the seeds of hope, which encourages the dreams of wild bounties and also sows the fear of failure. Hopes, dreams and fears encompass the full cycle of the human psyche.
You're probably right. Gawd, I hope you are. I Do believe that hardening is inspiring, and contagious. I'm not really an influential guy, but I got at least two new growers into the game this year...

And my culls are gonna provide another friend's grow, bc he and his wife just had a baby this winter, so he was understandably unable to get anything started, as far as seedlings go. (I'm glad he likes SuperHots... That's pretty much all i got left, plus some Zapotec Jalapeños...)

Ive had some cool nights but i left most of them outside. Only brought in my bonnets and bhuts. Did not seem to hurt any of them but it isnt helping either. My Aleppo and Sugar Rush Peach seem to be affected the worst by the upper 40Fs. Virtually no growth since going outside and pretty much all the others have a little.

I do wait a little longer for anything going in ground. Pots i can protect a little bit. Ground plants got to be tough cuz its all or nothing.

Tonight is supposed to go down to 44 or 45°F. After that, for the foreseeable future, nighttime temps will be commodity in the 50s and higher.

So far, I've only planted out Jalapeños and Bonnets. The Jalapeños seem completely unfazed, and the Bonnets are probably fine too. It's been raining a lot lately, and they're definitely to wet as well.
Seems like, if they make it thru the night, they gonna be good.

I'm thru panicking. Right now, I'm feeling mostly confident, at least as far as the weather/temps go... But I'm keeping my usual unreasonable level of generalized anxiety until probably November.

Back