• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hardening Off Pepper Plants

So these Habanero pepper plants have been inside all their lives. They are pretty floppy and light green. I just put them into my germinating/hardening off box on my deck. Hopefully they will be nice and strong in about a week. I am also going to give them a really small amount of fertilizer in the next few days. How do you harden off your indoor grown plants?

Attachments

• 20190513_172655.jpg
    20190513_172655.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 73
We are in a different grow zone (9).  I usually try to give them partial sunlight, but we also get wind and sudden thunder storms.  I have learned to keep them in a garage window a bit longer until they gain about a foot in height, support them with a bamboo pole, and then wean them outside.  One big thunderstorm will wipe younger plants out.  at the point they start to wooden up at the base, it is getting time to let them be outside full time.  Anything softer has become nibblers for squirrels (tree rats).

What's up with the box? Afraid of rabbits or squirrels?

Blood meal is your friend. Two tablespoons full in the top of each pot and you're good. It also contains nitrogen.

Yes, it stinks like fuck when it gets wet. Who cares?

Cover that box with visqueen, slap a space heater and a fan in there, and you'll have a decent outdoor cold-frame mini-greenhouse next year.  :)

Gradually expose them to more sunlight, try to protect them from strong wind.

I generally start in shade/indirect sun for a couple days, then give them a half hour more each day of direct sun for a week.

About ten days, they should be good to go.

Back