10 replies to this topic

#1 basicbatch

basicbatch

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:39 AM

First off - I know some look in bad shape, the temps dropped to 40's and it's rained for 5 days. Unless you think they're yellowing from something other than a lack of sunlight

Wondering if I should top any of these peppers and where to do so

1) L-R: Goat Horn, Bahamian, Habanero Red, Cayenne - https://imgur.com/a/Gbq7er0

2) L-R: Datil, Habanada, Lemon Drop, Scotch Bonnet - https://imgur.com/a/EgbGhUl

3) L-R: Orange Hab, Aji Benito, Bulgarian Carrot, Golden Cayenne - https://imgur.com/a/oLHpV0o

Attached Thumbnails

• unnamed.jpg
  • unnamed (1).jpg
  • unnamed (2).jpg

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 Uncle_Eccoli

Uncle_Eccoli

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:13 AM

I wouldn't.  Others might.

Kuh-Lee Kuh-Lekka

#3 CaneDog

CaneDog

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:30 AM

I don't see a need to, but I'd consider how strong vs flimsy the stems are and whether they should be staked/supported as protection against wind damage.

I think the yellowing is from lack of nutrients, not sun, most likely from over-watering due to rain. Can you set them under a cover so they get the sun but not the rain?

#4 basicbatch

basicbatch

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:12 PM

I don't see a need to, but I'd consider how strong vs flimsy the stems are and whether they should be staked/supported as protection against wind damage.

I think the yellowing is from lack of nutrients, not sun, most likely from over-watering due to rain. Can you set them under a cover so they get the sun but not the rain?

I actually had them inside during the rain since the temps dropped to the 40's. I hadn't been watering them too much but the soil looked dry today so I gave them healthy drink before putting them outside. Hopefully I didn't do them more harm than good, shoot. 

#5 CaneDog

CaneDog

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:15 PM

Good deal.  I try to keep my peppers out of the rain when the weather is cool.  That yellowing can also occur when they start getting big for their containers and no longer can pull enough nutrients from the soil.  Or other reasons.  It doesn't look like anything bad though.  I wouldn't have even thought to mention anything it if you hadn't. 

You have a good list of varieties. Good luck with them!

#6 EACLWB

EACLWB

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:54 PM

Are they from Cross Country Nurseries?  Just curious.

#7 Bicycle808

Bicycle808

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • aka:Streetwise with a "Z"

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:15 PM

They definitely have that CCN look, lol. That while Charlie Brown's Christmas Tree look. CCN saved my grow my first year, and helped fill in some blanks the second year, but I'm so stoked to have only plants i started from seed for once. I hate spending all that money for flimsy plants...

I wouldn't top, mostly bc at this point, you probably want to conserve as much mass as you can. I agree that they're yellow due to either a lack of nutes or possibly you're getting rootbound. Sooner you get to plant-out, the better...

Edited by Bicycle808, 17 May 2019 - 07:44 PM.

You are entering the buttocks with the spicy hand of Chinese pepper? And pleasure from this low pepper? I am not sure but the scorpion pepper musk when raw, is the sexual experience. This is granted, and evident in the taste, and the woman jealous. 

#8 willard3

willard3

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:39 AM

You can prune as much as you want, it's hard to kill a chile. This tepin produced fruit again.

45848766215_a18b23cbe9_o.jpgtepin1 by Willard Bridgham, on Flickr

Edited by willard3, 17 May 2019 - 07:39 AM.

Santa Maria Ahuacatitlan, Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

#9 Bicycle808

Bicycle808

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • aka:Streetwise with a "Z"

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:06 PM

Sure, you can prune all you want... I'm not surprised that Tepin grew back and produced... But at this point in the season, a lot of pruning would be a setback for sure. It's not like you chopped that Tepin back in May and it produced by that August, right??

You are entering the buttocks with the spicy hand of Chinese pepper? And pleasure from this low pepper? I am not sure but the scorpion pepper musk when raw, is the sexual experience. This is granted, and evident in the taste, and the woman jealous. 

#10 basicbatch

basicbatch

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:19 AM

They are! This is only my second year using them and i'm super bummed they're retiring

#11 solid7

solid7

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 03:35 PM

Just one guy's opinion - but until you get to be a ninja level grower, topping is just "fiddling".  I'm more inclined to advise growers to get really good at growing, before resorting to tricks and gimmicks.  Once you know how a plant is supposed to grow naturally, you'll be much more adept at understanding whether or not something actually has a legitimate effect.

Again, just my opinion.

Dave2000 - "Problem is, you happened upon the REAL DEAL."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests