Finally growing peppers!

Hey Im from south Florida this will be my first year growing peppers.

I dont have anything exotic going on right now but hope to purchase some seeds when I have some extra money.

Right now Im growing early jalapeño, regular jalapeño, habanero, Serrano, poblano, big Jim, Tabasco, and Carolina reaper.

Ive had some setbacks with iguanas munching a few of my plants down but Ive relocated them and they are regrowing. Im really excited for my first harvest. Right now Ive got small pods started on my early jalapeños. Im not sure about the others.

Hey Neighbor, where are you at in SoFla? If you're near me, your pepper season is winding down now for Summer, but will pick up again in the Fall. We typically have a heat/humidity related pause in pepper production from June-Sept, but usually get Fall/Winter/Spring production.

thegreenman said:
Hey Neighbor, where are you at in SoFla? If you're near me, your pepper season is winding down now for Summer, but will pick up again in the Fall. We typically have a heat/humidity related pause in pepper production from June-Sept, but usually get Fall/Winter/Spring production.
I just found this out the other day when I looked up the university of Florida recommended planting dates.

What exactly will happen during the hot months will they die? I have some shade I can put them under

Rereading now I see pause. Now I know I guess. Are you growing anything else in the summer?

Im all the way in the keys. Do you over-summer your plants?

I am guessing pests will be even worse during the summer. In the month that these have been outside I think I have already seen white fly, aphids, and mites.

Slowgrow said:
I am guessing pests will be even worse during the summer. In the month that these have been outside I think I have already seen white fly, aphids, and mites.
Yes, most plants are fine all Summer if you can keep them watered, except I haven't had any luck with any type of bell peppers here Try to keep them in some shade from noon to around 4 pm. Put them in large containers with light porous soil (Canadian Peat or Coir based) so they don't drown during heavy downpours. Heavy compost type soil will compact and the roots will rot if you get a lot of summer rain. Watch for whitefly, mites, aphids, hornworms...and Iguanas of course.
Cut them back as needed to maintain them. My larger plants usually get chopped back a few times during the Summer.

Good luck and I hope I haven't scared you off. Let me know if you want some different seeds for Fall.

thegreenman said:
Good luck and I hope I haven't scared you off. Let me know if you want some different seeds for Fall.
I am a bit scared but at least I know what I am in for now! And Im not scratching my head mid summer wondering what Im doing wrong. Plus this will really give me time to make sure everything is in order for fall. Do the plants usually stall as a whole, or just fruit production? Thank you for the great info and advice. I would definitely be interested in some seeds how would we go about that?

They grow like gangbusters, and will get as big as their containers allow.
Pm me your address and I'll put together a care package for you.

Back