• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help with identifying this problem / illness.

These dark black spots have started showing on my Cayenne pepper leaves, the seeds of which were gotten from what seemed a perfectly healthy plant I grew last year.

They only seem to be appearing on the cayenne plants and I have a few growing in different locations, all showing signs of it in greater or lesser extents.

I've started treating it with a light Hydro peroxide spray mix, and a 1 to 1 treatment of the soil, I;ve also removed the most affected leaves.

What do people think this is?
Is it treatable?
Does it pose a risk to my other plants?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• black spot caynne.jpg
    black spot caynne.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 89
CaneDog said:
Can you post a couple more angles, leaves from above?  What H2O2 ratio are you using on the foliage?

I'll try when light tommorow, but the tops look very similar. As far as H202 @3% 1 tablespoon per 300ml of water.

Sminky said:

I'll try when light tommorow, but the tops look very similar. As far as H202 @3% 1 tablespoon per 300ml of water.

Good deal. I'd really like to see a downward view onto the upper side of the leaves. From just this view it seems possible it could be a leaf spot, but that different view should help a bunch is assessing whether it is. Seems odd LS would be affecting only the cayenne distributed throughout the garden, but possible (edit - scratch this I see the seed was all from the same plant).  If it is LS, it does pose a risk of spreading, particularly through branch/leaf contact; tools, especially cutting tools going from an infected plant to another plant; and also splashing of wet dirt up onto plants when watering, and some degree of isolation is a good idea.

Also, if you're trying to knock back leaf spot, I'd probably double that H2O2 concentration used on the foliage from a 1:20 to a 1:10 solution, provided they're not taking direct sun after spraying.  You can probably go even a little higher than that depending on results.

CaneDog said:

Good deal. I'd really like to see a downward view onto the upper side of the leaves. From just this view it seems possible it could be a leaf spot, but that different view should help a bunch is assessing whether it is. Seems odd LS would be affecting only the cayenne distributed throughout the garden, but possible.  If it is LS, it does pose a risk of spreading, particularly through branch/leaf contact; tools, especially cutting tools going from an infected plant to another plant; and also splashing of wet dirt up onto plants when watering, and some degree of isolation is a good idea.

Also, if you're trying to knock back leaf spot, I'd probably double that H2O2 concentration used on the foliage from a 1:20 to a 1:10 solution, provided they're not taking direct sun after spraying.  You can probably go even a little higher than that depending on results.

Thanks for the initial help. If it helps here are some other pictures from different angles. All my Cayannes show signs of this but i have 4 plants 1 is on a windowsill the other 3 are in induvidual containers outside, all showing signs and so far the only chilli plants to do so.

Attachments

• black spot caynne3.jpg
    black spot caynne3.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 75
  • black spot caynne2.jpg
    black spot caynne2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 79
Hey Sminky.  So, the new photo didn't really give me a different look (i wanted to see if the spots patterned more like a general spotty chorosis/necroses than it seemed in the original pic, but they don't seem to).  Right now I'll say I'm concerned it is BLS.  The middle and low middle leaves you framed in you first pic just look that way to me and (after correcting my earlier point) the fact that all the seeds came from the one earlier plant and now all have the same symptoms, but no others do, would support BLS as will follow seeds.  I would definitely isolate at this point and hopefully either someone with recent experience can see your pics and be more definite or symptoms will or won't progress making a diagnosis more certain. I'd hate to see you take more drastic action without being more sure.

BLS can live in sol/debris, but not for a long time - I think a one-year crop rotation is often enough - and the splashing up of dirt is definitely a way to pass it along. Most treatments I see are aimed at controlling it to get mature peppers, not eradicating it. I made this post http://thehotpepper.com/topic/68994-growing-peppers-in-the-north-hydro-all-day-everyday/page-4#entry1625278 previously about BLS maybe it has some helpful info. If you can determine it definitely is BLS, I'd be leaning toward disposing of the plants and sanitizing tools and containers and such.  H2O2 and dry conditions and such can help knock it back and control it, but with the plants in containers versus in a garden you'd be in ggod shape to just eliminate it and not risk ongoing issues.

I want to say I'm not a BLS expert so I don't feel great about giving that diagnosis, but I am concerned it is.  Also, I see some white flecks in the top middle two leaves in the first new picture.  Can you tell what those are?

When I enlarge your photo of the top view looking at the leaf stems and branching I see what kinda looks like white bugs/larve.

My guess is a bug infestation. The spotting could be late stage damage.

Get a magnifying glass or something and check for pests.

Good luck, hope you get it solved.

Sminky said:
Thanks, when you say BLS do you mean Black Leaf Spot?

I'm just short-handing the term Bacterial Leaf Spot and not meaning anything different than leaf spot (LS) generally. It's hard enough differentiating leaf spot from other ailments I'm not going to kid myself into guessing what kind it might be if it is!

Good luck Sminky!   Hope you get through this bump in the road quickly and have a great season.

Back