• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chiltepin

And leads on where to buy plants or quality seeds. I searched the vendor vault and nothing recent was posted. If I go with seeds any germ advice?

I believe that Chiltepin and Chile Tepin are supposed to be the same pepper.

If so, then Pepperlover has 3 different types of seed available: https://pepperlover.com/new-2018/search?keyword=tepin&limitstart=0&option=com_virtuemart&view=category&virtuemart_category_id=0

Tradewinds Fruit also has Tepin seeds, and I have had very good results with their seeds in the past: http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/tepin-pepper-seeds

Reimer seeds has it on their site, but they seem to get an awful lot of negative reviews. Not sure that I would want to order any seeds from them.

CCN has multiple varieties of Chiltepin plants available. I understand that they are closing their business in a couple of weeks, so if you want to order something, do it soon: https://www.chileplants.com/search.aspx?Search=True&SearchButton=&SearchMode=simple&SpeciesCode=&Letter=&Keyword=chiltepin&CategoryID=1&HeatID=&TypeID=&UseID=&SizeID=&FleshID=&FoliageID=&OrientationID=&HeightID=&SeasonID=&DeterminancyID=&Heirloom=&Location=&Color=&Page=1&LengthID=&WidthID=&StockStatusID=&NewProduct=&ImageHeader=

Centipede said:
I've got plenty of wild collected texas chiltepín seeds if you need any. 

Are these anything like the Pequin? I googled "Texas Chiltepin" and those almost seem smaller. What level of heat are they? I'd be interested in getting some seeds from you as well, if you have any left to spare.

BDASPNY said:

im interested in some seeds if you have extra.

Sure, just message me your address and I can send some pods.

RedHotChiliPeppers said:

Are these anything like the Pequin? I googled "Texas Chiltepin" and those almost seem smaller. What level of heat are they? I'd be interested in getting some seeds from you as well, if you have any left to spare.

Pequin and tepin are very similar and the names are used interchangeably with many people. 

Short version is the chiltepín is usually small and round with distinct small leaves.

The chile pequin is a more domesticated version that is usually bullet shaped or pointy and have darker more elongated leaves. 

Fans of the wild chiltepín say that the cultivated pequin isn't as good. But I think pequins are also popular picked green and pickled in vinegar.

from wiki...

Capsicum annuum var. glabriusculum is a variety of Capsicum annuum that is native to southern North America and northern South America.[1] Common names include chiltepinIndian pepperchiltepe, and chile tepin, as well as turkeybird’s eye, or simply bird peppers, due to their consumption and spread by wild birds. Tepin is derived from a Nahuatl word meaning "flea". This variety is the most likely progenitor of the domesticated C. annuum var. annuum.[3] Another similar-sized pepper 'Pequin' (also called 'Piquin') is often confused, the Tepin fruit is round to oval and the Pequin is oval with a point, and the leaves, stems and plant structure are very different on each plant.

Centipede said:

Pequin and tepin are very similar and the names are used interchangeably with many people. 

Short version is the chiltepín is usually small and round with distinct small leaves.

The chile pequin is a more domesticated version that is usually bullet shaped or pointy and have darker more elongated leaves. 

Fans of the wild chiltepín say that the cultivated pequin isn't as good. But I think pequins are also popular picked green and pickled in vinegar.

from wiki...

Capsicum annuum var. glabriusculum is a variety of Capsicum annuum that is native to southern North America and northern South America.[1] Common names include chiltepinIndian pepperchiltepe, and chile tepin, as well as turkeybird’s eye, or simply bird peppers, due to their consumption and spread by wild birds. Tepin is derived from a Nahuatl word meaning "flea". This variety is the most likely progenitor of the domesticated C. annuum var. annuum.[3] Another similar-sized pepper 'Pequin' (also called 'Piquin') is often confused, the Tepin fruit is round to oval and the Pequin is oval with a point, and the leaves, stems and plant structure are very different on each plant.
Someone sent me these from Texas, they grow wild in her yard. I got the peppers fresh and they reminded me of Solanum dulcamara fruits.. Really egglike in shape, and with a definite juiciness to them like I've never encountered before with peppers. Would you say this is a Tepin or Pequin?
It was a fairly flat canopy until I took it outside.. Then it opened up like some kind of Transformer. 

GoQ0Ewtl.jpg

GvagIiyl.jpg

Centipede said:

from wiki...

awesome thanks ill send you  pm.

I planted some seeds last sunday and the first seedlings are coming up a week later.

I didn't use any special treatment of the seeds, just used the molcajete to gently crack the dry pods open and then seeds straight to moist soil.

Attachments

• IMG_0283.jpeg
    IMG_0283.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 82
I want to thank those above with this helpful information! 

Over the years I've seen Tepin - Chiltepin - Pequin (With Birds Eye thrown in now & again for good measure!) used interchangeably to put a name to the wild peppers that are native to a more arid area than the tropical zone where most Capsicum Species originate from. I assumed the small  round ones were one and the slightly elongated ones the other and now I know which is which. Thanks again!

I am late to reply to this topic and new to the forum.  I grow wild bird peppers myself.  I live in Panama and have a hard time finding seed so when I am on my walks I am always on the lookout for wild peppers.  I have seen quite a bit of heinz 57 peppers either just near a barbed wire fence or in people's yards.  I am growing a form of the pequin pepper now.  I have a large plant that is at least a year old plus some of its descendants in my yard.  They have that pointy look to them and are a half inch or less in length and are erect on the branches.  Leaves are dark green and small and the plants get good sized.  They continously produce but each time I pick the peppers it is only an oz or 2 off of one plant.  The plant is probably 4 feet tall and at least as wide.  The peppers are juicy when ripe and make a nice sauce.  Instant heat but it doesn't really last long.  I like them.

I also have some of the round type.  I call them Chiltepins.  I found them in someone's yard and robbed a couple of ripe pepper balls off their plant.  Mine are not producing yet.  I am looking forward to trying them.  Plants are very attractive with larger leaf that is much lighter in color.  They take longer to start producing than the pequin's I have.  I do not know how large the plants get yet because the parent plant I got the initial seed from was small and in bad condition.  The fruits are also erect on the plant.  

I also found a nice wild pepper the other day that has pendulous hanging fruits.  The peppers are wider than a pequin.  Kind of fat looking pequins.  Taste is that familiar quick heat on the tongue type of thing.  Not many seeds in the fruits and nice and juicy peppers.  I got some seed right before a chico ravaged the plant with a machete!  I have those germinating now in the shade house.

I have seen quite few different wild versions here in Panama.  You have to be tuned in to notice them.  If you are a pepper person you see them when no one else does. 

I am guessing but I do believe that most of these wild peppers are frutescen's.  I say this just because of how juicy they are when you cut them open.  I could be wrong of course because they are just mixed wild peppers.

Lots of fun. 

The photo's above pretty much show what my wild peppers look like.  There are others that I have seen but the peppers are so tiny they would be too much trouble to work with with unless they were all you had.  I have seen video's of people putting the tiny green pepper balls on drying trays and placing them on special ovens.  I will try air drying mine as well if I get a bumper crop.  As far as growing these peppers goes, once the peppers get some size to them they are very easy to grow.  Nothing bothers them.  No pests or desease seems to bother em.  When you first start them they are susceptible to desease so I just start more than I need.  Pequins live for a long time too.

Back