11 replies to this topic

#1 Desert Roach

Desert Roach

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:14 AM

Hey everybody! I've been using this vinegar based pepper mash from Smoking J's Fiery Foods (https://smokingjsfieryfoods.com/) for my hot sauce. As far as my research goes, his pepper mash seems to be much different than most others, as its made with just fresh blended peppers and vinegar. I've been looking around to see if I could get my mash from elsewhere if need be, but all I can find it seems are fermented mashes made with salt. Unfortunately, I am not willing to add any more salt to my recipe, not to mention the flavor difference this will bring. I can obviously do tests and see how it comes out, but does anybody know where else I can get this seemingly uncommon type of pepper mash?

Thank you in advance!

#2 dragonsfire

dragonsfire

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,081 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:16 AM

Why dont u use your own? Just get fresh peppers and blitz with Vinegar.

#3 Desert Roach

Desert Roach

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:20 AM

Why dont u use your own? Just get fresh peppers and blitz with Vinegar.

Well I've definitely thought about this, but I'm looking for mash as an option for my upcoming production runs that will consist of 50 gallons or more of sauce.

Edited by Desert Roach, 24 May 2019 - 09:21 AM.

#4 dragonsfire

dragonsfire

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,081 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:39 AM

50 gal is still hobby size. A meat grinder is great for continues feed of grinding peppers.

Edited by dragonsfire, 24 May 2019 - 09:39 AM.

#5 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 49,015 posts
  • aka:Pookie, Satan Claus
  • (x3)

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:57 AM

Depends on the peppers you use.

#6 salsalady

salsalady

On Fire!

• Extreme Biz
  • 14,811 posts
  • aka:SL, HSL
  • (x8)

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:58 AM

Louisiana Pepper Exchange.
http://lapepperexcha...m/products.html

They have mashes with different salt amounts, and also no salt in vinegar.

Good luck with your project,
SL
PureEvilProducts
The Chile Addict's prayer-"Lord, grant me the wisdom to know it will be too hot, the courage to eat it anyway, and the serenity to accept the pain that follows. Amen"
PepperPeopleRock! 

#7 salsalady

salsalady

On Fire!

• Extreme Biz
  • 14,811 posts
  • (x8)

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:09 AM

Looks like LA PepEx sells pints for $5 and gallons for $25, SmokinJ sells pints for $11. If you dont see what you want/need on their website, call them. Also, as a processor, talking to them directly might get a bit of a discount as a wholesale purchase.

Hope this helps,
SL
PureEvilProducts
The Chile Addict's prayer-"Lord, grant me the wisdom to know it will be too hot, the courage to eat it anyway, and the serenity to accept the pain that follows. Amen"
PepperPeopleRock! 

#8 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 49,015 posts
  • aka:Pookie, Satan Claus
  • (x3)

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:16 AM

He uses Smoking J's already he's looking for a plan B which is a good idea.

#9 salsalady

salsalady

On Fire!

• Extreme Biz
  • 14,811 posts
  • (x8)

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:23 AM

Got that, just posting prices for others who may drift into the thread~~~:)
PureEvilProducts
PepperPeopleRock! 

#10 SmokenFire

SmokenFire

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 4,571 posts
  • aka:the ralphster
  • (x9)

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:27 PM

50 gal is still hobby size. A meat grinder is great for continues feed of grinding peppers.

50 gallons of mash is not really "hobby" size.  It's certainly not large on a commercial scale, but no hobbyist I know makes anything 50 gallons at a time.  This info coming from spending the last couple years in the farmer's market and indie grocery store type level.  50 gallons is roughly 100 cases of 5 ounce woozies.  That is 1200 bottles of hot sauce.  If you commit to making 1200 bottles of hot sauce, you aren't doing so as a hobby most of the time.  

It felt like satan pissed in my mouth it was so hot and lasted a long time. It was a horrible experience eating one of them. - SavinaRed
I would love to travel to your castle to roam the land,eat pie and hunt woman. - sicman

#11 dragonsfire

dragonsfire

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,081 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:53 PM

I used to make wine in a vat that size so thats why I said it lol.

#12 salsalady

salsalady

On Fire!

• Extreme Biz
  • 14,811 posts
  • (x8)

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:26 PM

It's all good, DF. Making beer or wine in a 55 gallon barrel sized container is way different than trying to cook that size container/pot of hot sauce. With Desert Roach's reference to 'upcoming production run', it sounds like either a copacker or commercial kitchen production run.

Moonshiners can run 50 gallons thru a still in the woods, but I highly doubt a hobby saucer would be cooking and bottling 50 gallon pot of sauce. In my small kitchen, the largest pot I use is 10 gallons. The cooking equipment can handle a 20 gallon pot, probably even a 30 gallon pot. I wouldnt even consider a 50 gallon run without some serious upgrades in cooking and bottling equipment.

Desert Roach, what peppers are you using? If they are common, and you have space to store frozen peppers, buying peppers in season can save a ton of money. Wash, trim, chop if desired and freeze for use later.
PureEvilProducts
PepperPeopleRock! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pepper, pepper mash, vinegar, hot sauce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests