• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Vinegar Pepper Mash? Where to Buy?

Hey everybody! I've been using this vinegar based pepper mash from Smoking J's Fiery Foods (https://smokingjsfieryfoods.com/) for my hot sauce. As far as my research goes, his pepper mash seems to be much different than most others, as its made with just fresh blended peppers and vinegar. I've been looking around to see if I could get my mash from elsewhere if need be, but all I can find it seems are fermented mashes made with salt. Unfortunately, I am not willing to add any more salt to my recipe, not to mention the flavor difference this will bring. I can obviously do tests and see how it comes out, but does anybody know where else I can get this seemingly uncommon type of pepper mash?

Thank you in advance!

dragonsfire said:
Why dont u use your own? Just get fresh peppers and blitz with Vinegar.

Well I've definitely thought about this, but I'm looking for mash as an option for my upcoming production runs that will consist of 50 gallons or more of sauce.

Looks like LA PepEx sells pints for $5 and gallons for $25, SmokinJ sells pints for $11. If you dont see what you want/need on their website, call them. Also, as a processor, talking to them directly might get a bit of a discount as a wholesale purchase.

Hope this helps,
SL

dragonsfire said:
50 gal is still hobby size. A meat grinder is great for continues feed of grinding peppers.

50 gallons of mash is not really "hobby" size.  It's certainly not large on a commercial scale, but no hobbyist I know makes anything 50 gallons at a time.  This info coming from spending the last couple years in the farmer's market and indie grocery store type level.  50 gallons is roughly 100 cases of 5 ounce woozies.  That is 1200 bottles of hot sauce.  If you commit to making 1200 bottles of hot sauce, you aren't doing so as a hobby most of the time.  

It's all good, DF. Making beer or wine in a 55 gallon barrel sized container is way different than trying to cook that size container/pot of hot sauce. With Desert Roach's reference to 'upcoming production run', it sounds like either a copacker or commercial kitchen production run.

Moonshiners can run 50 gallons thru a still in the woods, but I highly doubt a hobby saucer would be cooking and bottling 50 gallon pot of sauce. In my small kitchen, the largest pot I use is 10 gallons. The cooking equipment can handle a 20 gallon pot, probably even a 30 gallon pot. I wouldnt even consider a 50 gallon run without some serious upgrades in cooking and bottling equipment.

Desert Roach, what peppers are you using? If they are common, and you have space to store frozen peppers, buying peppers in season can save a ton of money. Wash, trim, chop if desired and freeze for use later.

Back