• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Nematodes

Has anyone used beneficial nematodes to control fungal gnats? I have a complete infestation from some bad dirt and I have no idea what to do. They have infested all 32 of my potted peppers.

Neem oil works well for quickly killing both the adults and larvae.

Simply spraying down the surface of the soil with a mild mixture prior to watering my plants seems to have wiped them out.

Based on the fungus gnats life cycle, it can take 3 treatments, one week apart, to get rid of the bastards.

Used to get them in my cacti and other succulents all the time.

BloodshotPillow said:
Has anyone used beneficial nematodes to control fungal gnats? I have a complete infestation from some bad dirt and I have no idea what to do. They have infested all 32 of my potted peppers.

Are your plants indoors or outdoors?
If they're outdoors, and your plants are more than just seedlings, don't sweat fungus gnats.  In fact, give them something to chew on.  They're vital for breaking down organic matter, and won't bother your plants, unless that's all they've got to eat.  (and they don't even mess with established roots) Suggest some coffee grounds or banana peels.  No spray, no spend.  Win.
If your plants are indoors, then fungus gnats can be annoying.  Neem drench, and done.

They were inside in my basement grow room until a week ago. Basement was completely overrun. They are outside now. I will try tossing some coffee grounds in. Will probably neem oil them before I bring anything in though. Thanks everyone.

Back