• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Nachos!

Tried my hand at doing Mexican for the first time ever and ended up with this.... 

The foundation and some homemade guacamole. I got NFI what guacamole is supposed to taste like, never done it before....it ended up tasting flat, like it was missing something.I noticed some recipes include Tabasco. So I added a good dash of Tabasco and a fair whack of lime juice and it perked it up nicely. 
nacho1_zps1d040b91.jpg

Beef, Kidney Beans, chopped onion, crushed tomatoes and a decent helping of Cumin, Coriander, Cayenne pepper and Chilli flakes simmering away
nacho2_zps25a8044b.jpg

splooge
nacho3_zps6ec5d753.jpg

uber splooge
nacho4_zpscd023cfd.jpg

This is how far  I got before throwing in the towel
nacho5_zps307da01c.jpg

That's my dinner for the rest of the month taken care of!   :D 

As we all know, Mexican food kicks ass, and thus this can be the official nacho thread. Show us your wizardry! 

HK you couldn't have started a more awesome thread.

Maybe my eye's are playin' tricks on me but did you put cheese sauce/queso splooge on the already cheesed nachos?

I call that whole 'thang goodern hell!

For what its worth. Guac can be as simple as smashe avo's, fresh lime juice, and salt but you can add whatever else you like i.e. hot sauce,(of course) fresh chile's,(even better) garlic, onions, tomato, even cheese sauce! Some people even put (gasp) mayonaisse in it but I don't call that guac while others insist it is. Its like the chile w/beans vs. no beans 'thang. But for realz, make and do whatcha' like.

Question: Aussie's?

Answer: Fuck yeah!!!

ivplay said:
Looks great!  We had fajitas last night, and now I am wishing we had converted to some NACHOS!

Fajita topped nacho's.

Pure Tex-Mex.

And God's food.

A Jewish guy with a Mexican name told me.

Here is my typical take on nachos.  I fry my own corn tortilla quarters for starters, wayyyy better than any bagged chips.  Then spread on a little homemade refried beens.  Top that with taco meat, though what I make for nachos is more of a picadilla since it has onion, green peppers, jalapeños and tomato in it.  Then throw on some cheddar cheese, diced onions and jalapeños.  I heat it under the broiler very quickly to melt the cheese and then add sauce and usually some cotija cheese (I was out this time).  

If I have leftover fajita meat (rarely happens) I usually make nachos with it.  

Nice looking nachos!

The Count said:
 is more of a picadilla since it has onion, green peppers, jalapeños and tomato in it.  

Picadilla... that's a new one for me. I've never heard that word before, but this is the second time I've seen it used in 2 days. I like it. I guess I've been making picadillo for as long as I can remember and didn't know it. We've always just called it taco meat.

Goes to show ya learn something new every day. :cool:

Y'all most welcome to pop on over to my place to try some :D Only just managed to finish it off after having it for dinner, then lunch the next day and dinner again. 

That Looks delish count.

HK you couldn't have started a more awesome thread.

Maybe my eye's are playin' tricks on me but did you put cheese sauce/queso splooge on the already cheesed nachos?

I call that whole 'thang goodern hell!

For what its worth. Guac can be as simple as smashe avo's, fresh lime juice, and salt but you can add whatever else you like i.e. hot sauce,(of course) fresh chile's,(even better) garlic, onions, tomato, even cheese sauce! Some people even put (gasp) mayonaisse in it but I don't call that guac while others insist it is. Its like the chile w/beans vs. no beans 'thang. But for realz, make and do whatcha' like.

Question: Aussie's?

Answer: f**k yeah!!!

I finished off the Guacamole the next day after leaving it in the fridge overnight and it tasted completely different. By then it had a nice tang and spice, it's as if it had come alive! Looks like you just have to leave it for a while to infuse the flavours. Ended up being quite happy with it. 

Back