• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

preservation Preserving chili

Hi all

This is my second season growing chilis. Last year I grew different kinds of Habanero and Jalapeno.
This year I wanted to try some real spicy ones, which means I have about 20 plants in total of Carolina Reaper, 7 Pot Katie and 7 pot primo. 
I have mostly been interested in the growing proces that I have never really had any plan on what to do with all these hot chilis if I am successfull.
In the forum there are a lot of recipes for hot sauces so I'm sure I will find something there but are there other ways of preserving you can recommend? What about drying and/or making into powder? Is canning an option on the spicy ones?
Thank you.

Hello! If you do a cursory search of the forums here involving food, you'll find most anything you would need to know about preserving sauces and making powders. Many of the "sticky" entries are authored by food professionals who are also members here and have generously shared their knowledge of safe food handling. You can't go wrong if you do your due diligence then follow their direction. Good luck!

uffesaurus said:
Hi all

This is my second season growing chilis. Last year I grew different kinds of Habanero and Jalapeno.
This year I wanted to try some real spicy ones, which means I have about 20 plants in total of Carolina Reaper, 7 Pot Katie and 7 pot primo. 
I have mostly been interested in the growing proces that I have never really had any plan on what to do with all these hot chilis if I am successfull.
In the forum there are a lot of recipes for hot sauces so I'm sure I will find something there but are there other ways of preserving you can recommend? What about drying and/or making into powder? Is canning an option on the spicy ones?
Thank you.
All of the ways you mention will work.

Look for Alabama Jack puree recipe
Also, freeze, dry, pickle, sauce, powder, spice blend, candy.....

I do mostly dehydrate them abnd grind (powder). You can make pure powder from each kind and mix later, or make a mix powder, or make a mix with another spices. Or use later the powder for a sauce. So, you can play with colors, heat and/or taste.

Forgot jam and jelly, both sweet and savory.....
Have fun!

Back