• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Habanero stuffed Crimini Mushrooms(100% pure awesome)

This has to be one of the best recipes I've ever created. I decided to make stuffed baby portabellos(crimini) mushrooms, looked up a couple recipes just to get a basic idea of how one should accomplish such a task, then went all iron chef on this shizza.

Habanero Stuffed Crimini Mushrooms:
Prep time: <10 min
Cook time: 15-30 min
Oven temp: 400F (204C)

*I usually don't measure when I cook, instead preferring to go with approximate ratios & taste*

1/2 lb cremini mushrooms, stems removed
2 Parts sweet onion, minced
1 part habaneros minced
1 part garlic minced
1 TBSP butter
Romano, Asiago, or Parmesan cheese (1 not all 3) about equal to volume of cooked vegetables.
panko bread crumbs
salt & pepper to taste

Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. When hot add a bit of extra virgin olive oil, and toss in the minced onion, peppers & garlic. Add a bit of salt & pepper. Sautee until softened and some of the liquid has evaporated. Add butter & swirl to melt. When you sautee the veggies, they will shrink a bit, you want to add about as much cheese as you have cooked veggies. You should do this by taste, you want a slightly wet mixture, not really a paste. Then simply fill the mushrooms, sprinkle with panko bread crumbs and apply light pressure to set the crumbs. Then bake for 15-45 min. You have to watch, once the mushrooms start to give up their juices and flatten on the bottom & the tops are nice golden brown pull them out. Again, its hard to give a definite time, too many variables just watch.

Ingredients all rounded up:
3042820230_d844f88005_o.jpg

Habs, onion & garlic chopped fine:
3042820436_ae0fb60047_o.jpg

Before & after adding bread crumbs:
3041978547_c66b98dbd5_o.jpg

A little too done (lost track while stir-frying dinner), but still good(and half eaten):
3042820042_476479079e_o.jpg

They still grow wild and free In cymru
eating-25.gif

Nice Recipe again TX nice to see you using the beloved Mushroom in the Mix :D

you think the shrooms were overcooked? i LOVE charred mushrooms! I always cook mushrooms to well done. I think that's the best way.

I would love to try this.:lol:

Made a massive batch of these for the holidays. Had to use jalapenos though cause the family....I'm the only one with the cojones for habaneros besides my uncle but he's not gonna be out here this weekend. First time testing this recipe out on a crowd, I'm curious to see the results.

That recipe looks like a winner. I'll have to try that one out soon. I love my peppers and I love my mushrooms. Sounds like a great way to mix them. This would probably be good with some wild meadow mushrooms, or horse mushrooms too. (They are both in the Agaricus family too and taste similar to buttoncaps, and Portabellos, really rich though. I'll have to wait until next summer to try that because I have to pick them.)...As of for now. I can't wait that long. I'll be picking up some portabellos soon!!

I need to get moving on this also. Have a bag of shrooms wasting away in the fridge and some peppers dieing to get used up.

Ciao all-

Have any of you tried this with the inevitable mountain of peppers you all have in the freezer? I'm wondering if this recipe would be a good use for them.

I made these last night. Can you say AWESOME SAUCE!?! Thanks for the recipe.

:onfire:

I modified a few things.
• added bacon and crab (basically a surf and turf version)
• made a puree of jalapenos chipotle and onion
• food processed all the stems and more onion and mixed in the puree.
• after it cooled, added asiago and crumbled up the bacon.
• Stuffed regular old store button mushrooms. FOR MINE I ADDED SOME RED BHUT JOLOKIA, my fam doesn't share my chili love...
• cooked for 15 minutes and low broiled for 5 min.

IT TURNED OUT FANTASTIC! 5 star! highly recommend

:dance: :dance: :dance:

nice adjustments, also I'd reccommend stuffing the shrooms over a bowl, any toppings that fly over board land in the bowl and can be re-used, keeps the sheet pan clean(er).....haven'nt tried this recipe yet but will do this weekend

nice adjustments, also I'd reccommend stuffing the shrooms over a bowl, any toppings that fly over board land in the bowl and can be re-used, keeps the sheet pan clean(er).....haven'nt tried this recipe yet but will do this weekend

I've been making omelets out of the leftover stuffing with some fresh bhut jolokias. Awesomesauce :onfire:

Back