• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

DouglahT X Plant Uniformly Yellow

Uncle Eckley

Extreme Member
Thoughts as to what's going on with this guy?  I've got a few other plants with the same set up, but he's the only one who's yellow. 
He's been in 3:1:1 organic potting mix:composted manure:perlite in a 5-gallon fabric pot for about a month. 
He's growing, setting pods, and seems to be fine apart from the poor coloration. 
Thanks for looking! 
20190608-150757.jpg

k, figured.  I poured Kratky solution on him.. yesterday? This morning?  Recently. 

Thanks!

solid7 said:
That plant isn't suffering from calcium or magnesium deficiency.
What are you actually feeding it?
What is "Kratky solution"?
The stuff I put in my Kratky reservoirs. CNS17 Grow and CalMag.

One shouldn't really apply things like Cal-Mag at will, without knowing if it's necessary.  Especially if you're using CNS17.  That's an incredibly well built nutrient, and it doesn't need Cal-Mag. (seeing that it's already calcium based)  Absolutely zero.  You will literally NEVER need to add Cal-Mag with that product.  And Cal-Mag isn't cheap, so you're actually wasting money on that product.
I would just monitor this plant, and see what happens next.  To be honest, I've gotten some off-color plants before, and they perform admirably.  I wouldn't get twitchy, and start being too proactive.  The plant actually looks great, aside from its odd color.  It doesn't have any chlorosis, no deformities, no foliage sparsity or dropping.  

I've been having a similar issue with an Aji Limon.

It's remained light green for most of its life despite multiple staggered applications of nitrogen-based fertilizer. One of its lower leaves has started to turn yellow now, and it's also dropping its flowers, so it's evidently not in the best condition. I recently gave it some epsom salts and micronutrients in a foliar spray but it hasn't produced any noticeable changes after about a week.

This issue has actually been occurring with all of the plants I planted in some Black Gold Natural and Organic soil mix , so I feel like there's something really wrong with that stuff, since I haven't been overwatering, plus the plant's root system looked healthy enough when I transplanted it recently. Could it be a soil PH issue?

Takanotsume said:
I've been having a similar issue with an Aji Limon.

It's remained light green for most of its life despite multiple staggered applications of nitrogen-based fertilizer. One of its lower leaves has started to turn yellow now, and it's also dropping its flowers, so it's evidently not in the best condition. I recently gave it some epsom salts and micronutrients in a foliar spray but it hasn't produced any noticeable changes after about a week.

This issue has actually been occurring with all of the plants I planted in some Black Gold Natural and Organic soil mix , so I feel like there's something really wrong with that stuff, since I haven't been overwatering, plus the plant's root system looked healthy enough when I transplanted it recently. Could it be a soil PH issue?

Sounds like an overly heavy potting mix.  I've said it a million times here, and I'll say it a million more...  as a general rule, manures don't belong in containers. (as part of a built container medium)  I don't know if you really meant to say "soil" - I think you didn't.  But soil also, does not generally go in containers.
I'll bet if you replanted in a lighter mix, your plants would thank you. 
You are definitely loving the plants too much with all of those products.  You need to get one growing right, and don't do any more feeding or stroking until you get your problem sorted.
Lighter mix.  On at least one of your plants.
75% peat or coco coir
25% perlite
After mixing the above, add 5-10% vermicompost to whatever volume you produce.
That's it.  Done.  Regular feeding, at the regularly scheduled interval. 

I meant to say potting mix, yeah.

According to their website, it contains compost, peat moss, and perlite in nearly equal ratios with a slightly smaller amount of composted/aged bark rounding it off. The one plant that did manage to thrive in the stuff only managed to do so after I amended it with a generous amount of cinders and perlite so aeration probably was indeed the issue. While the ingredients seemed okay the particle size was rather small and the soil would oft stay damp for nearly a week.

I suppose the plant might just take a while to green up since I've already moved it into a lighter mix.

On a related note, can cinder substitute for perlite? The stuff is several times cheaper due to being locally sourced.

My fish pepper was looking the same - seemed healthy but just much lighter yellow than all the rest:

47968137747_8d4526b4d3_c.jpg

Mine is in hydro so when I checked the nutes, they were very weak. I'm coming to the conclusion that some plants consume more nutes that others and this is definitely one. When I refreshed the nutes, she greened up like a champ almost immediately.

Your foliage growth looks quite a bit different than the OP.  His leaves are consistent from plant to plant.  The example that you show has new leaf growth that is smaller than the older growth, on top of the coloring difference. 
There's a lot of variables in hydro.  I wouldn't be too quick to assume that individual plants are consuming vastly more nutrients than others.

Back