• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Opinions wanted - favourite non-superhot

So I havent been on here in a looooong time, but I have been reading and still growing chillies over the past few years. Im in a new house since growing the chilli jungle of 2015 lol and unfortunately have hardly any space to grow. This year I had 4 main plants, all hydro, that did very well.

Planning for this coming season I would like peoples opinions on their favourite non-super hot chillis in regard to flavour. I do a heap of cooking, sauces and powders and would like to see what others favourites are. I only have room for 2 more plants (decided to keep 2 OWs) so what would be your 2 picks? I have time to order seeds I dont currently own, but I do have many many seeds (like most insane OCD chilli heads!)

Cheers
Nick

I think that Yellow Scotch Bonnets would be a great choice for cooking, sauces and powders. Or you could could go with the Yellow Fatalii instead if you want a bit more heat.

Aji Guyana is a really tasty baccatum variety, if you want something on the milder side.

Paper Lantern Habanero - cooking, sauce, powder, pickles, jellies

Naga J PC-1 - powder, cooking

Hong Gochu - sauce, powder, kimchi

Oops, that was three. My bad.

For cooking, sauce, and powders....Yeah, a yellow bonnet or 2 would be at the top of my list.

Something with much less heat....Aji Panca. Not so much a pepper for a sauce unless used as a "filler" but makes an exceptional powder or just dried for making paste later. Aji Amarillo would be another in a similar category.

Yellow Bonnets and depending on your type of cooking maybe Big Jim's.

All good suggestions.  I'd recommend Bahamian Goat - all the heat you'd need, makes great powder and is good in sauces.  Then I'd say the Fish pepper.  I have grown many peppers over the years but these two are always in my garden each year. 

I'm in the Yellow Scotch Bonnet camp, but I also have become conditioned to the Red Bhut Jolokia.  Perhaps in the future I will go further into they abyss with some scorpions or other SHs.  I am growing others and have plans for more SHs.

If we are going mild, i have some Ahi Dulce peppers and seeds from my Mother-in-law.  The family is from Venezuela, which used to be a terrific country, but now, in the abyss. Thankfully, she and all the remaining family are naturalized here as US citizens (when you had to work for it).  She has given me some Ahi peppers, so I can grow some out.  They are sweet and tasty, like a habanero but with flavor instead of heat. 

I really enjoy Ecuadorian Brown peppers, they've got a really nice flavor and are wonderful in every day cooking where you want heat but not super hot levels.

Back