29 replies to this topic

#21 willard3

willard3

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,132 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:57 AM

A chile which doesn't get much attention here is the chilaca/chile negro. They are great in salasa verde,  they make great shooters and, if you ever make mole, they are required in their dried form (pasilla)

48060862317_931c55a8be_o.jpgchilaca2 by Willard Bridgham, on Flickr

Santa Maria Ahuacatitlan, Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

#22 saiias

saiias

Hot

• Extreme
  • 910 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:35 AM

Shishito peppers for cooking.

Mako Akokostrade pepper from Africa. This is very good for making powders and for cooking.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

#23 Bicycle808

Bicycle808

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • aka:Streetwise with a "Z"

Posted 14 June 2019 - 10:06 PM

A chile which doesn't get much attention here is the chilaca/chile negro. They are great in salasa verde,  they make great shooters and, if you ever make mole, they are required in their dried form (pasilla)

48060862317_931c55a8be_o.jpgchilaca2 by Willard Bridgham, on Flickr

I wanted to grow those this year. I had a helluva time finding seeds, and unlike Guajillos and de Arboles, the seeds in the dried pods I can buy locally are not viable. (I guess they are dried at higher temperatures.) The seeds I did manage score did bit germinate for me, either.

I guess there's always next year.

But, I just wanted to chime in and say that kitchen would be far poorer if not for dry pasillas and Pasilla powder. I was psyched to try these fresh, and make some powder from homegrown pods.

So, yeah, grow some of those, if you can.

You are entering the buttocks with the spicy hand of Chinese pepper? And pleasure from this low pepper? I am not sure but the scorpion pepper musk when raw, is the sexual experience. This is granted, and evident in the taste, and the woman jealous. 

#24 MBGardener

MBGardener

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 05:15 AM

I used to grow these some years back and they were always great peppers both fresh and dried.

#25 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 10:21 AM

I looked at pasilla before deciding on aji panca. I can buy dried pasilla pods locally fairly cheap. Dried panca pods though are expensive online and no local markets have them. I would still like to try them though. Im not really a fan of mole.

#26 Chorizo857_62J

Chorizo857_62J

Hot

• Extreme
  • 903 posts
  • aka:Fatknuckle

Posted 19 June 2019 - 03:13 PM

Pasilla is just what I am looking for, primarily for my cooking.  Will look locally for dried pods, but I have never seen it in fresh plant/pod form.

#27 dragonsfire

dragonsfire

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,276 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 03:21 PM

Hot Portugal Pepper, their on the lower end, Thai pepper level.

#28 Glen_

Glen_

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:57 PM

I am reading quite a few thumbs up opinion's on the yellow scotch bonnet.  What makes the yellow scotch bonnet so popular for cooking?

Where I live we have what they call a Chumbo.  We buy it in the super market and it is either red or yellow and looks just like a habenero or scotch bonnet.  Both taste pretty much the same in my mouth.  They are both hot.  They grow like heck also and are just super prolific.  You pick the peppers and they just get covered over again.

I am new to hot peppers.  To me, all hot chinense peppers taste pretty much the same.  Sneaky hot plus a fruity taste type of thing.  They are hot enough that I have learned to respect them though.

#29 sirex

sirex

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 11:09 AM

Hmmmm...only 2 is hard.
If I had to grow only 2 non supers...I love love love lemon drops. Bright citrusy heat. Mild enough to pop raw but can still catch me slipping with the heat on an off day.

The second would probably be a tossup between CGN21500 or Brazilian starfish. Both of those are easy to pop raw.

Never sacrifice flavor for heat.

#30 MarcV

MarcV

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 12:07 PM

Jeromin, my favourite variety from last season. Growing it again this year. Great allround pepper, not too hot, excellent producer!2b1ea0e24aa48056bf576ff9a7939423.jpg

...but I might be wrong...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests