• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Nibbling on my Habaneros (Southern California)

My habaneros are growing well given how cool and overcast the spring and early summer has been here in SoCal.

I've noticed, however, that the tops of my habanero plants seem to have been nibbled on.  The lower leaves and buds are fine, but just the tops of the plants look to have been eaten or broken off.

Note that I am growing over 40 plants, including chocolate habs and red savina, yet this in only happening on the traditional orange habanero.

I've ruled out the dogs and the family! Any ideas what critter might be feasting on my habaneros?  See the photo below.

Thx

Attachments

• nibbled tops of habanero.jpg
    nibbled tops of habanero.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 80
Looks like a horn worm or a cut worm, but it could be something else.

If you're not seeing the pest during the daytime, they are most likely hiding in the soil until nightfall.

If you get a chance, go out at night with a flashlight, and see if you can identify the scoundrels.

But it is most likely some kind of crawling bug, and they can do a lot of damage if you don't get them sorted out.

DontPanic said:
Looks like a horn worm or a cut worm, but it could be something else.

If you're not seeing the pest during the daytime, they are most likely hiding in the soil until nightfall.

If you get a chance, go out at night with a flashlight, and see if you can identify the scoundrels.

But it is most likely some kind of crawling bug, and they can do a lot of damage if you don't get them sorted out.

Hornworms are not out yet, but will be soon.  They are not so choosy out here, they will strip a plant clean. 

I was curious because it was only happening at the top of my plant, and only the habaneros. 

We already have hornworms out here in NJ. But they are so incredibly tiny right now that you gotta look really close to see the horns and the chevrons. They're still too small to do a lot of damage, but it's still impressive how much they do, being wee bitty.

Bicycle808 said:
We already have hornworms out here in NJ. But they are so incredibly tiny right now that you gotta look really close to see the horns and the chevrons. They're still too small to do a lot of damage, but it's still impressive how much they do, being wee bitty.

What are you using to control them, besides picking them off?  They are usually out by this time in CA, but it's been such a cool spring and summer, the little buggers are still in their papooses.

Derelict said:

What are you using to control them, besides picking them off?  They are usually out by this time in CA, but it's been such a cool spring and summer, the little buggers are still in their papooses.
So far, I've only seen a couple, plus a few cases of suspected hornworm damage. So just manual removal and subsequent azz-whooping, same technique I use on the big fellas.

Back